Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVII: On to Arbitration & the 2nd Buyout Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
"Listen Kevin, we appreciate your time with the organization. Going forward we see it as best for everyone if you continue your career elsewhere. No one on your list will accept a trade. We can either buy your contract out and you will have to find a team with a few nickles to rub together. The teams you want probably don't have a spot and they certainly don't have enough cap space to make you whole even with your 2/3 buyout. Or you can waive to Edmonton. Ride McDavid's coattails to a new contract."

Not happening, right?
"Buy me out; I'm pretty sure I can find another team to pay me at least 1/3 of my prior salary on my own terms."

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
"Buy me out; I'm pretty sure I can find another team to pay me at least 1/3 of my prior salary on my own terms."
Odds are he can. But money is drying up, spots are drying up. He will hit the market late. He will probably get 1 year, certainly not 3 or more with expansion looming. It's a gamble at best. That's where his decision lies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We're trying to make room this year and the next year. We can take $1.2 when every single of our contract comes off the book except for Skjei, Zibby, and Panarin. Trading Vlad's $4 plus Staal's discount this year (plus AHL $1M buried cap) is enough to get us through Trouba, Buchnevich, ADA, Le Mew, and more. Staal is the only long term contract out of the 3 to buy out that doesn't carry a near identical cap hit for the second year. It'll be $2.8 discount for 2 years, roughly. Just enough for us to try and give the regular season a good go until we're ready to reformat with Henrik, Shattenkirk, Smith/Staal, to be all off the books.

In years past when we had no competition for D spots, fine, he's not "bad enough" but this year, we have so many D looking for jobs Smith and Staal should be buried/bought out in order to make room.
The Rangers aren’t contenders for another year. They should not do anything to negatively impact their cap, I.e. buy out, for when that window is back open. They don’t need to rush prospects. They can play 11F 7D if they have to as well. They need to use this year to set up their cap. They can move the deadweight as expiring contracts next summer

Russian Collusion

Jul 1, 2016
It's obviously not preferable, it's just the reality of the situation.
The reality of the situation is that Kreider is a better player than any of the remaining UFA's and adds tremendous value to a lot of teams. Again it would be smart if we sold him off at below market cost than strap ourselves with the ghost of Marc Staal or Brendan Smith's contract during our contention window. I know we all love Kreider, but the reality of the situation is that he is not resigning here and dragging this nonsense out until the trade deadline for a third straight year is ridiculous. Just trade him (and Names) for whatever, use the freed up space to sign our RFA's and move on with the pieces that we have.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The arbitration filings don't affect the players' contract negotiations with the Rangers. Both are believed to be close to agreements on multi-year deals. The filings, however, could open a second buyout window for the Rangers, allowing the club to buy out a player (or players) if it needs to open up space under the salary cap to sign the pair to new contracts. The Rangers did not buy out anyone during the NHL’s first buyout window, which closed on June 30. Defensemen Kevin Shattenkirk, who has two years remaining on a deal that pays him $6.65 million per year, and Brendan Smith, who has two years remaining at $4.35 million per year, are the two likeliest candidates to be bought out.

Sources: Trouba, Buchnevich file for arbitration

How many years is Pavel getting?

Is a 2 year bridge deal a "multi-year contract"?

He is 3 years away from group III.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Its July 5th, there are several decent UFAs that have yet to sign. Rangers dont have to make a trade now. We have 2.5 months to training camp.

you probably aren't going to see trades until more of those UFAs get signed either

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The reality of the situation is that Kreider is a better player than any of the remaining UFA's and adds tremendous value to a lot of teams. Again it would be smart if we sold him off at below market cost than strap ourselves with the ghost of Marc Staal or Brendan Smith's contract during our contention window. I know we all love Kreider, but the reality of the situation is that he is not resigning here and dragging this nonsense out until the trade deadline for a third straight year is ridiculous. Just trade him (and Names) for whatever, use the freed up space to sign our RFA's and move on with the pieces that we have.

Sounds great in theory, but who are these teams that are gonna take Staal & how are you getting him to waive? What are we getting in return? There's no point in selling Kreider dirt cheap.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Regarding byouts: Staal and Shatty played on the defense last season, Smith ended up as a forward. From a sport perspective it makes most sense if he is bought out. If the need is as much cap space as possible this season, Shatty makes most sense. Can they buy out Staal without knowing what they have on the left side?

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I'm terrible at making trade offers, but it seems to me like Minnesota is a team that could really use Kreider and seemingly have the cap space for him. Is Kreider to MIN for one of their young bottom 6-ers (Greenway/Eriksson Ek) + a pick something people could get behind? Don't flame me too harshly. Thanks!

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
i think his market was set by toronto's deals for johnsson (4 years, $3.4 mil per) and kapanen (3 years, $3.2 mil per)
Only issue with the 3 year deal is that it takes him directly to UFA. Once a deal gets done, I'd imagine it's either a 1 or 2 year bridge or a long-term deal. They'd be smart to do the latter, but I'm fully expecting a shorter deal for Buch.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Only issue with the 3 year deal is that it takes him directly to UFA. Once a deal gets done, I'd imagine it's either a 1 or 2 year bridge or a long-term deal. They'd be smart to do the latter, but I'm fully expecting a shorter deal for Buch.

I'm thinking he'll get 4 years with a comparable AAV as those 2 deals

Reactions: Mac n Gs

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Its July 5th, there are several decent UFAs that have yet to sign. Rangers dont have to make a trade now. We have 2.5 months to training camp.

They don't have to make a trade today, but the clock is ticking on signing both Buch and Trouba. I think the last arbitration hearings are in early August, but these two could be scheduled earlier. That will determine the latest point at which the buyout window opens. So we've probably got 2-5 weeks to figure out if we need to use a buyout, and we may not be able to trade Kreider or Names until some of the remaining UFAs sign.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Regarding byouts: Staal and Shatty played on the defense last season, Smith ended up as a forward. From a sport perspective it makes most sense if he is bought out. If the need is as much cap space as possible this season, Shatty makes most sense. Can they buy out Staal without knowing what they have on the left side?

What ever they have on the left side will be better than Staal.

Ken Lund

Feb 23, 2019
As far as the last part goes yes, they can buy out Staal without knowing what they have on the left side. They dont know if Hajek, Rykov, and Lingren are good or bad but that is better than the certainty you get with Staal.
That said I dont want buyouts.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Well, look at that.

Good for us, I think this would be messy for all parties. 5 first round picks isn’t that good to give up and Marner would have to come with a hefty price tag, and it would hurt Toronto too.

It also opens up the market, move these fat arsed GMs out of their comfort zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad