Speculation: Roster Building Thread LIX: To trade or not to trade CK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Names and Strome are both stopgaps here. Neither should be retained long term.

We need to move one of them for cap for sure, and it should be Names just because he frees up more. As for the future, if they're here... I think it really depends on if they settle into a solid role on the team. One that's not above their heads. We'll see if that happens.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Namestnikov and Fast are the only trade chips left. Both will get a low 2nd or 3rd and 4th round picks at the deadline. Namestnikov should be dealt before the season starts, but if Kreider is dealt and Smith is bought out, there's the cap space for Buchnevich, DeAngelo and Lemieux.

Who's saying Buchnevich is on the block, @BBKers? I don't see how trading him makes sense unless the Rangers get a player on an ELC or draft picks back for him. Bridge him and reassess his value again after two years; he'll still be RFA.

Kreider to Florida makes a lot of sense. They have lots of enticing forward prospects. Will they try to extend him? Colorado makes sense too but not as much enticing prospects up front.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The Dom guy at The Athletic ran his numbers and there is less than a 50% chance Panarin will be a positive/productive player throughout the 7 year term of the contract.

Screen-Shot-2019-07-07-at-10.09.33-PM.png
Except that "Expected Value" doesn't take into account actual cap numbers which will go up substantially in 2 years with a new TV deal. Anything near 50% is market value, even at 46% there is no problem, the big picture is you need elite talent to win a cup

Reactions: mschmidt64

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Except that "Expected Value" doesn't take into account actual cap numbers which will go up substantially in 2 years with a new TV deal. Anything near 50% is market value, even at 46% there is no problem, the big picture is you need elite talent to win a cup

I'm pretty sure it does actually.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Eh... if Strome shot at his career average, he still paces out to 30+ points over 82 games, which is really the threshold for 3rd liners in my mind.

I don't think anyone is advocating him as a good option for 2C... just as a potential placeholder.
For sure. I'd be pretty upset if Strome was still this team's 2C after this coming season. I think Gorton realizes that 2C and bottom six depth are the team's greatest weaknesses right now. He's should make a deal next summer or deadline 2021 for a 2C using a defensive prospect(s) as bait if Howden, Chytil, or Andersson don't grab the brass ring.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
For sure. I'd be pretty upset if Strome was still this team's 2C after this coming season. I think Gorton realizes that 2C and bottom six depth are the team's greatest weaknesses right now. He's should make a deal next summer or deadline 2021 for a 2C using a defensive prospect(s) as bait if Howden, Chytil, or Andersson don't grab the brass ring.

Right... the key is going forward. He won't be a good at being the 2C, but it hardly matters for this season. It's still a transitional year, so our record fundamentally doesn't matter.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm not against trading Buchnevich, but the return must be worth it.

And honestly, if the decision from Gorton is to trade Buchnevich now and trade Namestnikov and Kreider at the deadline to maximize their value that's fine with me. People want the 2020 draft to be the exclamation point to the rebuild and moving those (3) guys (along with any combination of Staal, Shattenkirk, Fast, Strome) should give Gorton and company a ton of draft capital next year

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If Buch is dealt its because the Rangers want to keep Kreider and what he brings despite his age.

Very much starting to feel like it’s one or the other.

Reactions: jas and RGY

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Namestnikov and Fast are the only trade chips left. Both will get a low 2nd or 3rd and 4th round picks at the deadline. Namestnikov should be dealt before the season starts, but if Kreider is dealt and Smith is bought out, there's the cap space for Buchnevich, DeAngelo and Lemieux.

Who's saying Buchnevich is on the block, @BBKers? I don't see how trading him makes sense unless the Rangers get a player on an ELC or draft picks back for him. Bridge him and reassess his value again after two years; he'll still be RFA.

Kreider to Florida makes a lot of sense. They have lots of enticing forward prospects. Will they try to extend him? Colorado makes sense too but not as much enticing prospects up front.

This Brett Cyrgalis fellow insinuated this in the NYP on July 9. David Staples brings it up today in an article by Forever Blues-hits (not misspelled, just wrongly abbreviated). You are right on the eventual return - we will see where this goes.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'm more concerned with their next contracts than their current ones. Strome is a RFA. Namestnikov is a UFA. Just based on that alone Strome should cost less to keep so he seems like the likely candidate to stick around for a bit.
Also a great point.

@Kaapo Cabana i agree Strome likely will regress on his shooting % but we don’t need him to be the guy here. Even if he regresses to say 10-12% he will still hold more value than Namestnikov imo.

Shooting % also needs to be evaluated further, whether it is one season or career. Who was feeding the puck to Names in TB? Was he being fed the puck in higher scoring chance areas? What were his minutes like over the years there? Were they less and he capitalized on the few opportunities he had the puck? Is that an outlier? Is that the norm?

He certainly hasn’t been as effective here with less talent and depth around him as he had in TB.

Meanwhile Strome’s game seem to elevate and almost looked a bit rejuvenated once he came to NY.

At the end of the day these are two guys who are 2nd/3rd line players and it comes down to the needs and value moving forward. We need more capable centers for flexibility and Strome is an RFA so we have a better chance of keeping him at a cheaper price/cost for another year or so.

Edit: also as @Kupo states these are not longterm pieces, but simply stopgaps. We need the extra $900k in space.

And if we did QO Strome next year at $3.2, for 30-35 points with what salaries are going for, that is not a bad price for one more year

Reactions: egelband

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This Brett Cyrgalis fellow insinuated this in the NYP on July 9. David Staples brings it up today in an article by Forever Blues-hits (not misspelled, just wrongly abbreviated). You are right on the eventual return - we will see where this goes.

The guy who wrote that article is a little confused, I think.

Here’s the problem in the whole argument, the remaining cap space problem the Rangers have of just under $8M*, isn’t because of Buchnevich. He is unsigned, and thus not counted against the cap. The Rangers don’t solve anything by trading him and taking on a contract with a potential cap hit or for RFA, Puljujarvi which puts them in the same boat with a less productive player.

Yeah, Buchnevich is unsigned. The reason we need cap space is so we can re-sign him. Trading him and his potential 3.5 mil cap hit for a guy making 1 mil or less would absolutely help with our cap crunch. I wouldn't do it for Puljujarvi. I'd want a better, cheap player in return. But it is absolutely an option to get us the cap space we need.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
The guy who wrote that article is a little confused, I think.

Yeah, Buchnevich is unsigned. The reason we need cap space is so we can re-sign him. Trading him and his potential 3.5 mil cap hit for a guy making 1 mil or less would absolutely help with our cap crunch. I wouldn't do it for Puljujarvi. I'd want a better, cheap player in return. But it is absolutely an option to get us the cap space we need.

what if Pulju came with a 2nd?

I still don't think it would be enough, but I'd think about it

Reactions: CasusBelli

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
losing Kreider is really going to suck. Not only is he one of our best players but he's my choice to take the C going forward. With him gone I can see us going captainless for at least another year or 2, don't really see anyone on this roster as captain material besides Staal but he sucks too much and probably will be gone once his contract is up.

Reactions: CasusBelli

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Namestnikov would disappear for weeks. Just an irrelevant player at times.

Strome seems to be the more competent center when called upon. He is 1-2 years younger and no one is “romanticizing” anything, he was indeed better than Namestnikov.

I would rather see if the younger Strome can build off that play as opposed to seeing if Namestnikov can be more consistent in the reduced role he has compared to leeching off of the star players on Tampa and having success.

And as I said in an earlier post, I do believe Namestnikov bring different things to the table which is why he has value still, however, all of those things are replaceable and I think you can absolutely find someone much cheaper to do it.

Strome also has some toughness. Not that Names is soft, he likes to mix it up, but with Strome, Lemieux, DeAngelo and Buchnevich we got a bunch of guys who arent big but like to scrap. No more AV team of pansies.

Reactions: egelband

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Brooks and Carp both alluded to Buch being shopped in May. It's been out there for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad