Speculation: Roster Building Thread LIX: To trade or not to trade CK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Someone who is projected to provide elite talent for multiple years and top-line talent for the remaining multiple years?

Yeah, definitely a bad signing that won't have a good positive value down the road :sarcasm:

As you can see, the contract he signed is pretty close to market value, albeit a slight overpay, which is to be expected if you're the top free agent on the market.

Screen-Shot-2019-07-08-at-1.00.30-AM.png

RB misleading people, once again.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Someone who is projected to provide elite talent for multiple years and top-line talent for the remaining multiple years?

Yeah, definitely a bad signing that won't have a good positive value down the road :sarcasm:

As you can see, the contract he signed is pretty close to market value, albeit a slight overpay, which is to be expected if you're the top free agent on the market.

Who cares about making a genuine argument when you can push your narrative?

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I feel like Strome's season is getting romanticized on here. The guy was just okay. I think the fact that he performed above expectations, and way better than they player we acquired him for is skewing our perceptions of what Strome really is. Put that with his high draft position, and relatively young age, and I think we are overrating him.

The guy can be a decent fill in option, but I won't lose any sleep if we trade him.

I prefer Namestnikov to him as a player.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I feel like Strome's season is getting romanticized on here. The guy was just okay. I think the fact that he performed above expectations, and way better than they player we acquired him for is skewing our perceptions of what Strome really is. Put that with his high draft position, and relatively young age, and I think we are overrating him.

The guy can be a decent fill in option, but I won't lose any sleep if we trade him.

Yea I mean I wouldn’t resign Strome for more than he’s getting now

Who’s the better C is what it comes down too if the kids don’t show up

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Namestnikov would disappear for weeks. Just an irrelevant player at times.

Strome seems to be the more competent center when called upon. He is 1-2 years younger and no one is “romanticizing” anything, he was indeed better than Namestnikov.

I would rather see if the younger Strome can build off that play as opposed to seeing if Namestnikov can be more consistent in the reduced role he has compared to leeching off of the star players on Tampa and having success.

And as I said in an earlier post, I do believe Namestnikov bring different things to the table which is why he has value still, however, all of those things are replaceable and I think you can absolutely find someone much cheaper to do it.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
IMO Panarin is like a poor man's Gretzky. Among his better assets are his abilities in misdirection, knowing at all times where his teammates and opponents are, being a second and a half ahead of everyone knowing where the puck is going to be.....and he uses these assets to make plays. Another comparable for him would be a superman Mats Zuccarello.

Panarin can finish but that's not primarily what he does. He's not really a one man show--he uses his teammates and the moment we ended up with the 2OA I immediately thought Panarin might be the perfect guy to play with Kakko. Panarin is a player who works well with others and makes those others better. If Panarin is banging in 25-30 a year two/three years from now but Zibanejad has had two more 30 + years and Kakko's pushing at 40 and Kravstov is finishing too we're going to have a pretty damned good offense.

Way JD put it is that he does a lot of what a center does, only at the wing position.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

But he’ll have negative value.... in year 7.

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Namestnikov would disappear for weeks. Just an irrelevant player at times.

Strome seems to be the more competent center when called upon. He is 1-2 years younger and no one is “romanticizing” anything, he was indeed better than Namestnikov.

I would rather see if the younger Strome can build off that play as opposed to seeing if Namestnikov can be more consistent in the reduced role he has compared to leeching off of the star players on Tampa and having success.

And as I said in an earlier post, I do believe Namestnikov bring different things to the table which is why he has value still, however, all of those things are replaceable and I think you can absolutely find someone much cheaper to do it.
I would agree that Namestnikov is replaceable as well, but I think we should keep one of them around. I disagree that Strome was better, but I see the argument

Reactions: egelband

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Push comes to shove I probably do too, but there’s two key differences; Strome is over $2m/yr cheaper and he’s also younger and can presumably improve. Names has reached all he will ever be. Moving him is my top choice just because i don’t see much future here for him. Even if he were open to re-signing here, I’d give him like, Fast money. No more. He’s not gonna take that.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Push comes to shove I probably do too, but there’s two key differences; Strome is over $2m/yr cheaper and he’s also younger and can presumably improve. Names has reached all he will ever be. Moving him is my top choice just because i don’t see much future here for him. Even if he were open to re-signing here, I’d give him like, Fast money. No more. He’s not gonna take that.

Huh, Strome is actually not as young as I thought. He’s younger than Namestnikov but only by a little less than a year.

I thought it was more like 1-2 years difference.

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Strome AAV - 3.1M
Names AAV - 4M

its only 900k

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Huh, Strome is actually not as young as I thought. He’s younger than Namestnikov but only by a little less than a year.

I thought it was more like 1-2 years difference.
Just realized this as well...

However, my main point stands, Strome appears to be the more competent player when called upon. I thought he was more consistently noticeable.

They are offering similar all around games in terms of play on both sides of the puck.

But Strome was a .52 PPG player with the Rangers last season. Namestnikov was a .39 PPG player. Strome was better and he was able to take 260 Faceoffs for us. He can shift to wing more than Namestnikov can shift to center.

The $900K difference is also significant for us.

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

However, my main point stands, Strome appears to be the more competent player when called upon. I thought he was more consistently noticeable.

They are offering similar all around games in terms of play on both sides of the puck.

But Strome was a .52 PPG player with the Rangers last season. Namestnikov was a .39 PPG player. Strome was better and he was able to take 260 Faceoffs for us. He can shift to wing more than Namestnikov can shift to center.

Strome also shot 17% last year, when his career average is 10%
Names shot 9% and his career average is 12%

Doesn't mean anything definitive, but its something to consider that its very possible Strome's season was an anomaly.

Reactions: TheTakedown

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I'm more concerned with their next contracts than their current ones. Strome is a RFA. Namestnikov is a UFA. Just based on that alone Strome should cost less to keep so he seems like the likely candidate to stick around for a bit.

Reactions: eco's bones and RGY

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

If Strome played exactly the same way but was snakebitten and the goalies made the saves on him and he shot 5% instead of 22.5% almost nobody would advocate for him. That would be 4-15-19 instead of 18-15-33 in 63 games. He didn't shoot 22.5% because he's such an amazing shooter or so good at getting into the right spots. He was fortunate.

I'm more concerned with their next contracts than their current ones. Strome is a RFA. Namestnikov is a UFA. Just based on that alone Strome should cost less to keep so he seems like the likely candidate to stick around for a bit.

Strome's QO next year is going to be 3.2M I wouldn't keep him regardless.

Reactions: Blue Blooded

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If Strome played exactly the same way but was snakebitten and the goalies made the saves on him and he shot 5% instead of 22.5% almost nobody would advocate for him. That would be 4-15-19 instead of 18-15-33 in 63 games. He didn't shoot 22.5% because he's such an amazing shooter or so good at getting into the right spots. He was fortunate.

Strome's QO next year is going to be 3.2M I wouldn't keep him regardless.

If that's what he wants then no, but I would imagine a longer deal for less money would be a very real option for him. Say 3 years @ $2.75-3m per season

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
And while Strome wasn't a disaster possession-wise, he was bleeding high-danger scoring chances against like no other forward on the team bar Howden (who was the 2nd worst forward in the league at this) while not making up for it at the other end by creating high-danger opportunities.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Strome's season isn't just getting romanticized, it's a straight up fairy tale now.

He's a terrible player that shot 20%+ and just happens to be able to play center.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Under ideal circumstances, a guy like Namestnikov is worth what, a third?

Zucc brought two conditional seconds. Zucc is way better than Namestnikov.

There is just no real value to be lost if we have to take less on Namestnikov. We weren’t getting anything to begin with.

The value in a trade for him, for us, IS the cap relief.

Pretty much agree here and that's why JG hasn't dealt him yet. Ultimately, he will but to do so now would be tipping his hand a bit.

At the end of the day, signing Panarin AND trading for Trouba has us in a tight spot. One or the other and we're fine. I'm sure JG had/has a plan just have to wait and see.

I should've prefaced this by saying I didn't like the Names contract from the start but I understand why it was made.

Reactions: mschmidt64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad