Speculation: Roster Building Thread LII: Countdown to Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You wouldn’t offer sheet a 21 year old super star center? With all the picks we’ve grabbed already?
No. Because thats how you screw yourself out of being a perennial contender for several years. You end up with no high end talent in the farm to fill in the bottom lines on ELC contracts.

TB may not have won a cup, which is for different reasons, but they certainly have the blueprint for how to stay competitive for several years.

Keep the window open as long as possible. I would rather pay a UFA more dollars than fork over multiple 1sts for one player

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
giphy.gif

Don't do this to me.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
No. Because thats how you screw yourself out of being a perennial contender for several years. You end up with no high end talent in the farm to fill in the bottom lines on ELC contracts.

TB may not have won a cup, which is for different reasons, but they certainly have the blueprint for how to stay competitive for several years.

Keep the window open as long as possible. I would rather pay a UFA more dollars than fork over multiple 1sts for one player

Bingo.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It doesn't fit our timeline as in...he won't help us win a cup during that tenure...

The shorter term then applies to it doesn't fit his timeline.
How do you know that? The defense is improving. Our offense would have a pretty good group. Goaltending seems to be in a good position.

Sure there is no guarantee or way of knowing, but its not like either direction is so definite

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
How do you know that? The defense is improving. Our offense would have a pretty good group. Goaltending seems to be in a good position.

Sure there is no guarantee or way of knowing, but its not like either direction is so definite
Please name a team that's gone from being a league worst in row to contender in under 3 years.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
The Rangers should stay the hell away from adding any vets to this team. Staal, Hank, Zib, Strome, Skjei, Trouba, Georgiev and Fast is plenty. Hell, you could even add Shatty, Names, Kreider, Smith and Vesey to that list, even though they're all trade bait. They still bring that presence.

No reason to take a roster spot away from young up and coming players for veteran leadership the Rangers already have. No bringing back old Rangers, no signing old guys.

The Rangers have so many players capable of playing right now. Other than signing Kreider or seeing what Panarin wants, the Rangers should do nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeetchisGod

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It doesn't have to be an offer-sheet per se but the threat of one. I'd package Chytil, Buch++ for Aho

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It doesn't fit our timeline as in...he won't help us win a cup during that tenure...

The shorter term then applies to it doesn't fit his timeline.

The Cup isn't the goal in the short-term. In terms of developing a future Cup winner, he fits our timeline well.

Like I said, we'd have to overpay.

Reactions: darko

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Please name a team that's gone from being a league worst in row to contender in under 3 years.
Without even looking, I dont feel the Rangers rebuild as been the same as many others.

I dont believe previous teams have accumulated this many 1st round picks and prospects.

I dont think there has been a team that has sold off their vets, acquired assets, and repurposed them for other assets such as Fox and Trouba.

They landed the 2nd overall pick and took a very polished kid in terms of physical development and experience playing in a men’s league.

I think its possible to be a bubble team this year. And you add a guy like Pavelski, who knows.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

I don't say this because I want the Rangers to go all in this year, b/c I don't. They are still a bit away.

but how are we still saying this? An expansion team in the WC final, followed by the team that was the worst in the league at Christmas. AN EXPANSION team in the finals!

In the last 5 cup finals, the WC has had 5 different teams, the EC 4.

This league is pure parity. Nothing comes close to it

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm mostly on your side here, but I have to point out: Colorado Avalanche were bottom of the league in 2016-17
But they accumulated tons of top picks before they turned it around...they didn't get just 1 top 5 player. Duchene was a 2oa, landeskog was 2 and MacKinnon... That's 3 top 2 picks. 3

We have 1.

And it's not like Colorado has done a ton in the playoffs..how many rounds have they won? 1?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
In a heartbeat id give up 4 firsts for a Sebastian Aho. A 21 year old franchise center. If he’s not the biggest part of any rebuild I don’t know what is. Especially with all the picks we’ve already made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad