Speculation: Roster Building Thread LII: Countdown to Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Go get Gusev, Clarkson and Reaves from Vegas

Trade Vesey and Kreider

Hopefully find a taker for Shattenkirk at half cap hit.

There’s my to-do list if I’m Jeff Gorton

Also, something to consider, if I was Arizona or Colorado, I would be less hesitant to move my 2020 1st (lottery protected) for a guy like Kreider than this years pick as I’m assuming my team will be better. I would t count those teams out.

Same for Buffalo in terms of their picks.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Moved.

Well after the draft that left some happy some not to happy and some jumping for joy--it's a new day. Wait for it--someone will post it.

No trades yesterday but at least the rumor mill started turning.

Not that I believe any of these guys but some have it on the occasional Ranger trades

Let's start with the really bad--Eklund

He has CK possible to the Kings--don't see it

Next

A little more believable ICB--he has CK possible to multiple teams

Bruins--always makes sense and we've been down this road before. They have some nice prospects we could get are hands on
Yotes--another team we thought he would be traded to
Ducks--Don't see it but maybe after they brought out Perry. Some posters wanted Krebs in the draft--good starting point plus they have some really good kids in the minors.
Red wings--Not sure how or why-and to be honest I'm not really knowledgeable on their minor league system.

Somewhere I read last night that the Rangers were still talking to Colorado which even after the draft makes a ton of sense especially if Colorado deals Barrie.

My point is not the people claiming the rumors but at least it looks like the Rangers are still talking. Got to believe if Bob and Breadman say their staying in Florida tomorrow or the rumor leaks out maybe that changes the game plan with CK.

Personal I think Colorado and the Bruins would be the teams I'm trying to deal with followed by the Yotes if they will include next year's first as a starting point.

Anybody hearing something different.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Go get Gusev, Clarkson and Reaves from Vegas

Trade Vesey and Kreider

Hopefully find a taker for Shattenkirk at half cap hit.

There’s my to-do list if I’m Jeff Gorton

Also, something to consider, if I was Arizona or Colorado, I would be less hesitant to move my 2020 1st (lottery protected) for a guy like Kreider than this years pick as I’m assuming my team will be better. I would t count those teams out.

Same for Buffalo in terms of their picks.

I’m never clear right away on if lottery protected means if the team wins the lottery (top-3) or if a team participates in the lottery.

If there’s going to be a protection, I like top-10 protection when we’re acquiring picks.

Reactions: RGY

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I think, if I'm trading any significant player, I would never agree to take a lottery protected pick. I'll take the unprotected 1st or find someone else to deal with.

There are a couple of issues with it:

1. It delays your timeline by pushing the pick back a year
2. It really hurts the value of the pick when it can't potentially be a top pick.

I'd consider doing something where there's a condition stating if the pick ends up winning the lottery we owe them one or our picks in return additionally or maybe only protecting 1 overall but not 2 or 3.

Reactions: egelband

TomLaidlaw

Jan 4, 2007
Transylvania
We are having such a good off season so far, please don't buy anyone out to make a big UFA splash. We have three overpaid D-Men but they only have two years left on their deals. Just be patient. All of their contracts are structured where they receive less actual money than their cap hit in that final year. That could be helpful in trying to move them next year. Shattenkirk no trade list goes down to 8 teams as well. Girardi buyout hit goes down to 1.6 mill next year as well. Just stay the course and be patient and avoid the allure of buying someone out this year.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think, if I'm trading any significant player, I would never agree to take a lottery protected pick. I'll take the unprotected 1st or find someone else to deal with.

2. It really hurts the value of the pick when it can't potentially be a top pick.

I'd consider doing something where there's a condition stating if the pick ends up winning the lottery we owe them one or our picks in return additionally or maybe only protecting 1 overall but not 2 or 3.

You’ll never get teams to agree to unprotected picks unless they’re extremely confident they’ll make the playoffs. The only teams that are that confident are contenders, so ultimately your approach would end up choosing a pick mid/late-20s over a pick likely late-teens/early-20s.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Moved.

Well after the draft that left some happy some not to happy and some jumping for joy--it's a new day. Wait for it--someone will post it.

No trades yesterday but at least the rumor mill started turning.

Not that I believe any of these guys but some have it on the occasional Ranger trades

Let's start with the really bad--Eklund

He has CK possible to the Kings--don't see it

Next

A little more believable ICB--he has CK possible to multiple teams

Bruins--always makes sense and we've been down this road before. They have some nice prospects we could get are hands on
Yotes--another team we thought he would be traded to
Ducks--Don't see it but maybe after they brought out Perry. Some posters wanted Krebs in the draft--good starting point plus they have some really good kids in the minors.
Red wings--Not sure how or why-and to be honest I'm not really knowledgeable on their minor league system.

Somewhere I read last night that the Rangers were still talking to Colorado which even after the draft makes a ton of sense especially if Colorado deals Barrie.

My point is not the people claiming the rumors but at least it looks like the Rangers are still talking. Got to believe if Bob and Breadman say their staying in Florida tomorrow or the rumor leaks out maybe that changes the game plan with CK.

Personal I think Colorado and the Bruins would be the teams I'm trying to deal with followed by the Yotes if they will include next year's first as a starting point.

Anybody hearing something different.

Was chatting with @TheKingsCourt about it the other day, but I see COL and ARI as fits for Kreider. COL being a team that can absorb the cap hit... but ARI may require a contract or two coming back, but Chris helps improve both teams.

It's really an interesting time with the cap not being announced until late last night. Only the teams with a lot of space were the ones willing to pull the trigger on a deal. But the next few days will be the most interesting imo. There is going to be a squeeze, and teams with space can capitalize on other teams cap issues.

That does not bode well for the Rangers, and perhaps the biggest reason as to why there was a lot of talk with no action the last few days. The BUF, COL, CLB, & NJ of the world can get a number of good players and give up scraps and team build that way.

But players like Vesey, Names would have to be given away.

A guy like Kreider however... you might not find a taker for a good value.... unless you are willing to sell him off to sign somebody else.

In other words...

Kreider would be a much more valued asset at the trade deadline...
Vesey you have to toss away...
Names you are retaining on to move...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’m never clear right away on if lottery protected means if the team wins the lottery (top-3) or if a team participates in the lottery.

If there’s going to be a protection, I like top-10 protection when we’re acquiring picks.

Yeah I think it’s negotiable (someone with more knowledge here confirm). I’d probably say top-10 protected from either of those teams would be a good starting point. Maybe they could discuss adding a conditional pick if it’s past 25 or something.

So for example
Arizona 1st 2020
- top 10 protected
Conditional ARI 3rd 2020
- if the ARI 1st is 25 or below
Crouse

For

Kreider at $3m cap hit

Or something like that

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Would it really be that awful though if that 2020 1st got pushed out to a 2021 pick? Looking at the depth in the system currently, it would make some sense to try to spread out some of the future prospects as far as their arrival time.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Was chatting with @TheKingsCourt about it the other day, but I see COL and ARI as fits for Kreider. COL being a team that can absorb the cap hit... but ARI may require a contract or two coming back, but Chris helps improve both teams.

It's really an interesting time with the cap not being announced until late last night. Only the teams with a lot of space were the ones willing to pull the trigger on a deal. But the next few days will be the most interesting imo. There is going to be a squeeze, and teams with space can capitalize on other teams cap issues.

That does not bode well for the Rangers, and perhaps the biggest reason as to why there was a lot of talk with no action the last few days. The BUF, COL, CLB, & NJ of the world can get a number of good players and give up scraps and team build that way.

But players like Vesey, Names would have to be given away.

A guy like Kreider however... you might not find a taker for a good value.... unless you are willing to sell him off to sign somebody else.

In other words...

I’d be more agreeable to taking back a bad contract in return for Namestnikov than retaining. For example:

Namestnikov for EDM 2nd 2020 + EDM 3rd 2020 + Gagner

Reactions: egelband and Ori

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You’ll never get teams to agree to unprotected picks unless they’re extremely confident they’ll make the playoffs. The only teams that are that confident are contenders, so ultimately your approach would end up choosing a pick mid/late-20s over a pick likely late-teens/early-20s.

Even teams that expect they will make the playoffs before the season starts often do not end up making the playoffs. 5 of the 16 playoff teams from 2017-18 did not make the playoffs in 2018-19. 7 teams that made it in 16-17 did not make it in 17-18. 7 teams from 15-16 didn't make it in 16-17.

So target the bubble teams/teams that just made it that think someone will put them over the top. Quite often they still will not make the playoffs.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Would it really be that awful though if that 2020 1st got pushed out to a 2021 pick? Looking at the depth in the system currently, it would make some sense to try to spread out some of the future prospects as far as their arrival time.

Yes because the 2020 draft is better and because getting the guy in the system sooner is better.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Well that was quite a list @NYR Viper - I`m quite happy with Gordon at the moment and a huge positive that he signed Jacob Trouba & Fox before the draft! ;)

A bit unfortunate with Zucc since his agent and him want to explore the open market in July, but I still support his decision. Because that is one time in life chance for him to get on a good hockey NHL team - Vancouver Canucks is considering him a lot recently, and the latest rumor from Canada! :)

Zuccarello to explore free agency, Stars GM says

Reactions: egelband

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
In other words...

We can retain on 2 more contracts. Kreider at 2.3125 mil shouldn't be hard to move. Vesey has been linked to Buffalo, and they have more than enough cap room to take on Vesey's 2.75 mil cap hit. Yes, we would likely need to retain on Names, but that isn't a problem unless we were to retain on Kreider and Shatty. In that case, I don't really see a need to trade Names.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I’d be more agreeable to taking back a bad contract in return for Namestnikov than retaining. For example:

Namestnikov for EDM 2nd 2020 + EDM 3rd 2020 + Gagner

Yeah the mechanics are negotiable since it's a 1 year commitment, but it's like you said for Kreider, retaining on him works nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad