Speculation: Roster Building Thread LII: Countdown to Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
6.25M X 3 years for sub 50 point production with a full NMC.

Ask yourself, if Toronto can go back do you think they sign him knowing what they know now? I honestly don't. I respect his leadership qualities, but if you want that kind of veteran on your team you can find one for less money.

It's crazy how much the NHL has shifted from the 80's, 90's, 2000's, and the current era we're in. You do see guys playing, and playing well in their 30's, but the NHL has gotten so much younger and faster. It's a young man's game.

We are a very young team and I wouldn't mind a veteran signing. Pavelski, imo is going to cost too much and will want that extra year or two. Find me a 1 year stop gap and I won't hate it. But 3 years @ 6M with a NMC makes me queasy.
The player was the right player for the situation. The contract was wrong.

It wasn’t the first time Lou screwed up with the cap.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You do not sign 38 year olds to 3 year contracts... There's no hidden-story here that the Rangers need to reflect upon.

Gorton knows this already. He wouldn't give a 35 year old, the 3 years he was looking for, last year.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I feel like Andersson is going to go the way of Malhotra. Disappoint fans, get moved, and have a solid career as 3C elsewhere.
I think he'll be a solid middle 6 player. The game hasn't slowed down for him yet

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I agree with you. But it's a bit of a stretch to consider his 9 game call-up 2 years ago a 'season.'

Well I mean he’s been thru a NA pro season. He thrived in Hartford as a center came up and played well in year one. He went thru it. 80 plus games.

Had his official rookie year last year 25 pts bouncing around the lineup but he did it

This is his third year here gotta give him a shot. Signing the 35 year old center to block him and move him to wing is the old way of doing business

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Panarin isn’t picking NY to play for the islanders let’s be real here. If he’s coming to NY it’s for us if we want him bad enough. But he’s not coming here for the islanders. I’d be shocked if bobrovsky does either. He may not even meet with the islanders.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I don't get the pavelski move at all for a few reasons.

1)he's old...meaning he doesn't fit our timeline.
2)he's still good which means a show me contract doesn't apply...he's already shown who he is.
3)we suck, which means our team doesn't fit HIS timeline.

Pavelski will easily get 7m x 3 on the open market...does that contract make the remotest sense for us? Or him for our team? We aren't winning a cup in the next 3 years barring a miracle... So why would he come here? I'd say 4 years from now is when we should move into legit contender window.

Reactions: Off Sides

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I kind of think Howden, Chytil with Stome is a good developmental position. The former will have to work hard to beat out the latter yet it's not inconceivable, and it still gives the former shelter should it be a bumpy ride. Namestnikov can also play center need be.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Panarin isn’t picking NY to play for the islanders let’s be real here. If he’s coming to NY it’s for us if we want him bad enough. But he’s not coming here for the islanders. I’d be shocked if bobrovsky does either. He may not even meet with the islanders.

Depends what sort of contract they give Panarin. For all we know they could be willing to go 12/13 mill per and us and Panthers aren't willing to go past 10.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Dreger brought up a good point. Offer sheeting Aho. Dundon isn’t looking to spend a lot of money but I offered on twitter it would be a great idea if we did it and front loaded it to holy hell.

Couldn’t you offer him 40 plus mil in first two years of that deal? If he gets 10.8 mil a year for 7 years. Couldn’t you put 40 of that in first two years? Carolina wouldn’t touch that.

Would Aho be worth 4 mid to late first rounders? 21 year old 83 pts last season. 12 in 15 playoff games. Love the kid.

When you balance that with what Mika makes you’re paying your top 2 STUD centers under 16 mil

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't get the pavelski move at all for a few reasons.

1)he's old...meaning he doesn't fit our timeline.
2)he's still good which means a show me contract doesn't apply...he's already shown who he is.
3)we suck, which means our team doesn't fit HIS timeline.

Pavelski will easily get 7m x 3 on the open market...does that contract make the remotest sense for us? Or him for our team? We aren't winning a cup in the next 3 years barring a miracle... So why would he come here? I'd say 4 years from now is when we should move into legit contender window.

A 2-year contract actually fits our timeline perfectly. A 3-year fits it fine, but not as perfectly. He'd be one of these guys that'd be here as a good mentor for the kids. He can play wing or center.

We'd have to overpay him to get him... that'd be the only reason from his perspective to come here. It's not likely, but I do think it's a really good idea.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Depends what sort of contract they give Panarin. For all we know they could be willing to go 12/13 mill per and us and Panthers aren't willing to go past 10.

When’s the last time the isles signed marquee free agent by outbidding other interested teams? Or actually just when was the last time they signed a marquee free agent?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
When’s the last time the isles signed marquee free agent by outbidding other interested teams? Or actually just when was the last time they signed a marquee free agent?

Can't remember but they'd be stupid enough to do it.

Reactions: RGY

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
A 2-year contract actually fits our timeline perfectly. A 3-year fits it fine, but not as perfectly. He'd be one of these guys that'd be here as a good mentor for the kids. He can play wing or center.

We'd have to overpay him to get him... that'd be the only reason from his perspective to come here. It's not likely, but I do think it's a really good idea.
It doesn't fit our timeline as in...he won't help us win a cup during that tenure...

The shorter term then applies to it doesn't fit his timeline.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I kind of think Hodwen, Chytil with Stome is a good developmental position. The former will have to work hard to beat out the latter yet it's not inconceivable, and it still gives the former shelter should it be a bumpy ride. Namestnikov can also play center need be.

I think Strome is the perfect guy to move over if one of them is struggling. You have protection there for them. I’d be really surprised if both in their second full nhl seasons don’t improve.

Reactions: Off Sides

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden