Speculation: Roster Building Thread IX (2021 Offseason Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
IF they go with Zibanejad and Chytil as the top 2 centers for offensively gifted lines they NEED to have safety nets at 3 and 4C with defensively responsible players and also ones who can win face offs

So who would you look at for 3/4C for those roles?

Repeat it with me, Nick Bonino. Short term vet with good hockey left. 33 years old. Good at face offs, plays a gritty game, good defensively, lots of playoff experience.

I think Rooney is fine as 4C. But they need another big bodied winger somewhere. Goodrow? Foligno? Coleman? Someone who brings some intensity and creates turnovers on the boards.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Repeat it with me, Nick Bonino. Short term vet with good hockey left. 33 years old. Good at face offs, plays a gritty game, good defensively, lots of playoff experience.

I think Rooney is fine as 4C. But they need another big bodied winger somewhere. Goodrow? Foligno? Coleman? Someone who brings some intensity and creates turnovers on the boards.

Isnt Bonino making like 5M tho on this current contract? That seems like a lot for a 3rd line center.

Reactions: Off Sides

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn’t touch Eichel at all. Unless it really cheap. No guarantees he plays for a while with that injury and when he does come back he may no be good at all. I would rather package smaller pieces to get more physical, re-up with zibanijad.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
It seems if Gallant is about analytics then he should be pushing for the Rangers to keep Chytil. Does anyone know if he is or not?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Ever see that movie Apollo 13, where the one guy is saying "this is what needs to happen for them to make it back to earth and splash down safely" and the other guy is saying "well this is how many Amps we have"

I feel like the cap space versus the idea of what the Rangers need is a good metaphor. Rangers are not getting back to earth (contending for a Cup) by spending amps on 3rd/4th liners and 3rd pair defenders.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Top Shelfs Hockey's latest rumor/speculation regarding what the Rangers may have settled on sending Buffalo for Capt Jack. Here goes.
Buch
Chytil or Georgey
Jones
Robertsson
#1 2021

B**ch away! And swell your chest at the guy at TSH, not me lol.

Too much.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Ever see that movie Apollo 13, where the one guy is saying "this is what needs to happen for them to make it back to earth and splash down safely" and the other guy is saying "well this is how many Amps we have"

I feel like the cap space versus the idea of what the Rangers need is a good metaphor. Rangers are not getting back to earth (contending for a Cup) by spending amps on 3rd/4th liners and 3rd pair defenders.

They need to big game hunt (no idea who), while letting the kids get better and finding some kinda cheap 3rd/4th liners, its a puzzle lets see what Drury is made of.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Rangers have not even yet made the playoffs, everyone is trying to build a team that might do well in them based on these past playoffs without looking into how those teams first off acquired those players, and then looked at how they were kept under the cap, which is now flat.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ola, the current cap structure allows for a couple of contracts like the Panarin’s (if a team doesn’t overspent on the bottom liners). Can’t see how Panarin is not worth it, nor what Trouba doesn’t - maybe with just a small overpayment.

Yeah, I agree. Panarin’s play has been a fairy tale. Even if he doesn’t keep that up — it still promise so much. Trouba is perfectly OK IMO and Kreider is unique and can provide.

But, it leaves us with very little room for more big contracts. 8m for Adam Fox? Laf and Kakko either “busts” or get paid. Will the Cap stay at 80.5m for 3-4 more seasons?

Just saying that things don’t look good from a cap perspective. Almost nightmarish. Meanwhile, we probably have to be really well managed cap wise to compete for the a Cup. I.e. we are heading towards one side of a scale we should be on the opposite side of.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Buffalo is going to lose the Eichel trade (if healthy) no matter what they get in return. They at this point are just trying not to lose it by a landslide.

I am sure many said the same thing when Ottawa traded Yashin to the Islanders. Turned out to be Muckalt, Chara and Spezza for Yashin. Yashin individually was OK for the Islanders, but stats aside he never really made his teams much better. There is a big resemblance to Eichel. Yashin ended up being bought out.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
IF they go with Zibanejad and Chytil as the top 2 centers for offensively gifted lines they NEED to have safety nets at 3 and 4C with defensively responsible players and also ones who can win face offs

So who would you look at for 3/4C for those roles?
This is the type of thinking that will keep the team in mediocrity. Need to do better than this. Chytil at this stage is so overrated on this Board its laughable. If he isn't traded he is better suited to play the wing.

Reactions: Barnaby

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I am down with trading for Gourde if it meant avoiding signing Danault to an absurd salary. Gourde plays exactly how Gallant wants to. Would be even better if the Rangers could get him at $500k retained.

Then sign Goodrow and possibly Coleman. Ship out Strome/Buch/Chytil for Larkin and assets. Howden to Expansion. Sign Oleksiak.

Lafreniere-Zib-Kakko
Panarin-Larkin-Kravtsov
Kreider-Gourde-Coleman
Barron-Goodrow-Gauthier

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Oleksiak-Lundkvist/Schneider

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Hartman is an underrated option. Think he could even be a pretty good fit at RW with Panarin. Physical, hard working and he got some skill. Three more years at 1.7m is very appealing. The player himself isn’t going to surprise everyone and turn the world upside down. But if he can be OK, that contract gives us a lot of important space to work with that other grittier options for a top 9 spot don’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad