Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2021 Offseason) - “You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think the focus on North South is a bit excessive. You have to be adaptive, hardworking, and smart overall.

I remember when we were a straight line team and painfully predictable. A shot on goal from a north south rush that was easy for the goalie to see and block. The rebound was cleared and the offensive play was finished. We begged for more cross ice passes to open up the goalie, more movement for screen opportunities, more chaos.

I'm not buying the sentiment that there is one way to do it. The problem was this team didn't work together. Quinn battling the effective lines to change, but never doing a damn thing about the bad effort or discipline from them. Constantly punishing the kids for making honest mistakes while listening to his demands. Get good leadership and buy in to being a team.

Yeah, and there are some big objections that can be made about the N-S narrative. We must no doubt become much more physical, much tougher to play against in front of the net and so forth. Stand up for each other better, battle harder.

But is it a good idea that we don’t take the puck to the net and dump it into the corner instead? Is it a good idea that when there is a line change, we don’t try to keep possession of the puck but instead dump it in to avoid mistakes? Is it a good idea to rush the transition play? The first two are clear no’s from my POV. The third is something we can improve, but not by just giving the puck away. Both the second and third essentially means that we give away momentum and the last thing we want is of course to be pushed back and run over in our own zone.

Playing “N-S” that way worked 17 years ago in the NHL and still in the AHL, but it doesn’t even remotely work well in the NHL today. No good team plays that way, and all other good teams will just push you back significantly if you do. Hence why it’s really important to have a management that just don’t do what “everyone” sloppishly talks about. Quinn was totally clueless here. And if you bring in people who had success with this style while it worked before the lockout or potentially in the AHL. Every time there is a big change in hockey or other sports, some brilliant minds are totally blind to changes that obviously must be made.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm all for adding grit and experience in the bottom six, but some of these suggestions scream Beagle/Ferland/Roussel type overpays - especially if we're going 3 at a time.

The reason those contracts sucked was term, not cap hit. If I’m Drury, I’m okay slightly overpaying for the right guys on 2 year deals

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So is the plan to sign UFAs and putting Barron in the minors

Howden , Gaithier goners ?

that’s what happens if they sign 2 ufa bottom 6

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So is the plan to sign UFAs and putting Barron in the minors

Howden , Gaithier goners ?

that’s what happens if they sign 2 ufa bottom 6
I would very much prefer Barron in the minors over playing on the 4th line.

Said it before, I don't think he's a 4th liner in the NHL and it would be silly to resign him to that.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kreider on the third line with #1 PP net front presence is quite literally the perfect role for him.

12-13 ES minutes a game let him maximize his energy each shift.

With Panarin and Lafreniere it is the logical conclusion. He's a solid veteran presence who has been through the battle trenches in deep playoff runs and will be invaluable when we are back in the postseason.

Is he overpaid- yes, but so is Trouba, and they presently both offer things to this lineup that can't be replaced. If Kreider got assists for every effective goalie screen he provided his point production would have no one complaining. Those screens are more impactful than 40-50% of secondary assists.

3 years from now we come back to the conversation about Kreider and Trouba. But for this next 3 year set of 'early playoff competition' they are big parts of this team.

The big decisions now are at the center ice position (Chytil, Zibby, Strome) and about what we do with the two-pronged situation at defense which is

1) NYR have a ton of great defensive prospects that will be coming of age soon
2) The current NYR defense is too inexperienced to make the playoffs

Those are the kind of things we need to be thinking about.

Yeah, and I also like that Kreider along with Ziba and Buch has learned to have a real methodical approach to their game. I think it can be important to spread that out over the lineup. Guys like Chytil and Kakko and the likes aren’t there yet.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Kreider on the third line with #1 PP net front presence is quite literally the perfect role for him.

12-13 ES minutes a game let him maximize his energy each shift.

With Panarin and Lafreniere it is the logical conclusion. He's a solid veteran presence who has been through the battle trenches in deep playoff runs and will be invaluable when we are back in the postseason.

Is he overpaid- yes, but so is Trouba, and they presently both offer things to this lineup that can't be replaced. If Kreider got assists for every effective goalie screen he provided his point production would have no one complaining. Those screens are more impactful than 40-50% of secondary assists.

3 years from now we come back to the conversation about Kreider and Trouba. But for this next 3 year set of 'early playoff competition' they are big parts of this team.

The big decisions now are at the center ice position (Chytil, Zibby, Strome) and about what we do with the two-pronged situation at defense which is

1) NYR have a ton of great defensive prospects that will be coming of age soon
2) The current NYR defense is too inexperienced to make the playoffs

Those are the kind of things we need to be thinking about.
This.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
I usually do one of these every year for fun...

Key off-season moves:
Casey Cizikas and Blake Coleman UFA signing
Buchnevich, Chytill re-signed
Re-sign Smith for cheap

Offense
Laf - Mika - Buchnevich
Panarin - Chytill - Kakko
Kreider - Strome - Krav
Coleman - Cizikas - Blackwell
Rooney, Barron

Cizikas would help leaps and bounds with defensive zone deployment and faceoffs. Coleman’s deployment in regards to PK and more help the team as well. Plus both are TOUGH to play against. I don’t think of team ‘toughness’ as adding a fighter etc, the necessary toughness for this team is hard on the puck and tough to play against. Cizikas and Coleman are the type of role players that are tough to play against. Plus Coleman can fill in up on the lineup if necessary. I just don’t see our top 6/9 needing that many tweaks especially with the progression of Kakko, Laf, Chytill, Krav etc. Barron is a bit of an odd man out, in the best way possible. I think he’s ideally a 3rd liner, I just can’t really find a way, with the UFA signings to get him in there.

Defense
Lindgren - Fox
KAM - Trouba
Lundkvist - Jones
Smith

Retaining Smith as 7th defensemen, keeping around his leadership and tough to play against mentality. This is hoping all our young guys take another step forward and no one regresses in a ridiculous manner. If we add any defensemen, it would need to be depth defensemen.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Just my gut feeling, but I would be really surprised if Detroit trades Dylan Larkin. Thinks he is one of the more unlikely players in the league to get moved, but I could definitely be wrong.

Reactions: bernmeister

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
man, i just clicked on uncle larry's story about a free agent that could help fill our leadership void....was not expecting it to be pekka rinne. interesting.

Reactions: egelband

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
I would very much prefer Barron in the minors over playing on the 4th line.

Said it before, I don't think he's a 4th liner in the NHL and it would be silly to resign him to that.
Why? He has size and showed some toughness in his brief stint.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Yeah, and there are some big objections that can be made about the N-S narrative. We must no doubt become much more physical, much tougher to play against in front of the net and so forth. Stand up for each other better, battle harder.

But is it a good idea that we don’t take the puck to the net and dump it into the corner instead? Is it a good idea that when there is a line change, we don’t try to keep possession of the puck but instead dump it in to avoid mistakes? Is it a good idea to rush the transition play? The first two are clear no’s from my POV. The third is something we can improve, but not by just giving the puck away. Both the second and third essentially means that we give away momentum and the last thing we want is of course to be pushed back and run over in our own zone.

Playing “N-S” that way worked 17 years ago in the NHL and still in the AHL, but it doesn’t even remotely work well in the NHL today. No good team plays that way, and all other good teams will just push you back significantly if you do. Hence why it’s really important to have a management that just don’t do what “everyone” sloppishly talks about. Quinn was totally clueless here. And if you bring in people who had success with this style while it worked before the lockout or potentially in the AHL. Every time there is a big change in hockey or other sports, some brilliant minds are totally blind to changes that obviously must be made.

Kyle Palmeri disagrees with you. He literally just said in his post game interview after scoring the OT winner that he and the Islanders as a team like to play "North South Hockey".

Last edited:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
h
man, i just clicked on uncle larry's story about a free agent that could help fill our leadership void....was not expecting it to be pekka rinne. interesting.

he’s drunk . First off he’s the Preds Hank so why would he not resign for a year ?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Kyle Palmeri disagrees with you. He literally just said in his post game interview after scoring tge OT winner that he and the Islanders as a team like to play "North South Hockey".

The idea that N/S hockey doesn't work is 1000% wrong.

Get bodies to the net, get shots to the net.

Straight lines direct to the net.

Protect our net, then head directly to opposition net.

Straight line hockey.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
NYR could afford to take on Joe Pavelski for the last year of his contract, if he was relatively cheap to obtain.
But where does he fit?

He hasn't taken a regular shift at center in years. I wouldn't even classify him as a switch-hitter anymore.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The idea that N/S hockey doesn't work is 1000% wrong.

Get bodies to the net, get shots to the net.

Straight lines direct to the net.

Protect our net, then head directly to opposition net.

Straight line hockey.
Panarin, Zbad, Kakko, Lafreniere, Kravtsov, Fox...

Hockey is fluid... it's a moving target... once it's right, it quickly becomes wrong.

Anything that is treated as an absolute can easily be coached against.

Reactions: CLW

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
well you don't know if hank will ever play again....if hank had played in washington this year, I'm sure the article would have been about how they missed his leadership this year and should bring him back for a year so he could retire a ranger. but huge uncertainty about his health and if he still wants to play at this point.

Oh, he still wants to play and has said so - the health issue, though, is certainly a question as is how well will he perform in his 40's.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Panarin, Zbad, Kakko, Lafreniere, Kravtsov, Fox...

Hockey is fluid... it's a moving target... once it's right, it quickly becomes wrong.

Anything that is treated as an absolute can easily be coached against.

If we allow those players to determine the style we play, we will NEVER win

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Kyle Palmeri disagrees with you. He literally just said in his post game interview after scoring tge OT winner that he and the Islanders as a team like to play "North South Hockey".
The Isles didn't lift the cup though. But that system fits those players. They work together and have a combination of skill, hard work and battle. North South works if you crash the net and go to ths dirty areas. It won't work with our current top 6.

We can have success with some of the traits of playoff teams. The system is way down the list. We don't have an identity, work ethic or willingness to be physical.

Reactions: egelband and Kords
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad