Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2021 Offseason) - “You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I think the focus on North South is a bit excessive. You have to be adaptive, hardworking, and smart overall.

I remember when we were a straight line team and painfully predictable. A shot on goal from a north south rush that was easy for the goalie to see and block. The rebound was cleared and the offensive play was finished. We begged for more cross ice passes to open up the goalie, more movement for screen opportunities, more chaos.

I'm not buying the sentiment that there is one way to do it. The problem was this team didn't work together. Quinn battling the effective lines to change, but never doing a damn thing about the bad effort or discipline from them. Constantly punishing the kids for making honest mistakes while listening to his demands. Get good leadership and buy in to being a team.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It works less often in the playoffs.

The Sedin twins still put on plenty of shows on the west coast in the postseason.

I don't think guys like Panarin and Zibanejad necessarily need to change their games wholesale, it's that the bottom half of the lineup needs to play more direct. You want your 3rd and 4th lines to go out there and grind down the opponents, knock in the odd goal, and soften things up for the skill players, especially by drawing penalties.

The Rangers have also had next to no vertical threat on the ice since AV's departure.

Somewhat agree with your take but to the eye it does look like the bottom lines were a lot more straight - just not enough quality and physicality against their counterparts.

To me it’s more about the mix in the top-6 to make the difference next season. Assuming for a second that they stay (until we know to the contrary) Zibanejad and Buchnevich have a proper mix of shooting / passing mentality for 1st liners. He’s been injured this season so I’m sure it made an impact on his game too but I was especially exasperated when Kreider was trying to pass from the scoring opportunities to shoot. Lafreniere seems like a proper North / South player and he did overtake Kreider on the first line. While pretty expensive, being injury free and down the lineup hopefully Kreider will stop his overpassing and start to shoot more.

Panarin is what he is and is what makes him so special in the NHL. Strome is the perfect partner for Panarin offensively, and since this is the topic of discussion, I’m going to leave his defensive shortcomings out of it. Now the question is how to add a North South element to this line? Do you rely on Kakko to make another big step next season at RW? Do you move Kreider there? Do you shift Strome to the wing and promote Chytil - who should also further improve next season - to be this straight line forward? There are good options there for the next coach to figure it out.

On the 3rd line is where I want a straight line center with speed and perpetual motor to go with it.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Teams are tough or not depending on personnel, not because of a coach.
I don’t entirely agree. a lot of it has to do with personnel, but a lot of it has to do with culture and system. torts is a coach that strives for a “tough” team due to his system and overall personality.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
To be fair, the Rangers have been cap strapped, and it’s more important to lock in your skill players first and then get your Cal Clutterbucks.

Maybe those players were coming this offseason or next.

I think we also all feel like Kakko and Lafreniere eventually add a lot of that component, they just weren’t there yet.

Yup. Don’t understand how this point is being repeatedly missed, dismissed or forgotten.

Gorton or JD don’t appreciate physicality and grit mixed in with skills? Look at their previous stops to see what kind of team they were building. Look at the players they drafted here. Gorton was also the one that brought Trouba and locked him up to a long extension. The Rangers were cap strapped this season and still they were able to bring Rooney and Blackwell to improve bottom lines. They new the shortcomings of this roster and had a plan for offseason.

There’s no need to justify / support owner’s tantrum and turn it into some it wasn’t. The only thing that could possibly justify the firing was not respecting the FO hierarchy and breaking up from the owner (with or without good reason) when Dolan published his letter.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Somewhat agree with your take but to the eye it does look like the bottom lines were a lot more straight - just not enough quality and physicality against their counterparts.

To me it’s more about the mix in the top-6 to make the difference next season. Assuming for a second that they stay (until we know to the contrary) Zibanejad and Buchnevich have a proper mix of shooting / passing mentality for 1st liners. He’s been injured this season so I’m sure it made an impact on his game too but I was especially exasperated when Kreider was trying to pass from the scoring opportunities to shoot. Lafreniere seems like a proper North / South player and he did overtake Kreider on the first line. While pretty expensive, being injury free and down the lineup hopefully Kreider will stop his overpassing and start to shoot more.

Panarin is what he is and is what makes him so special in the NHL. Strome is the perfect partner for Panarin offensively, and since this is the topic of discussion, I’m going to leave his defensive shortcomings out of it. Now the question is how to add a North South element to this line? Do you rely on Kakko to make another big step next season at RW? Do you move Kreider there? Do you shift Strome to the wing and promote Chytil - who should also further improve next season - to be this straight line forward? There are good options there for the next coach to figure it out.

On the 3rd line is where I want a straight line center with speed and perpetual motor to go with it.
I agree with most of this other than the Strome piece. Strome is the guy that needs to be swapped out for a more direct player with a bit of snarl.

Let Kakko or Kravtsov become Panarin’s creative soulmate and give them a center that is defensively responsible and can do some mucking.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Brooks advocating for Rinne? If you're going that route, bring Hank back. I don't see it.
Well we dont even know if Hank will be ready for next season. We also dont know if he will even be able to perform at a high level.

Rinne wouldnt be a terrible backup to have, so long as he signs for under $2 million.

Reactions: NYR Viper

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I don’t entirely agree. a lot of it has to do with personnel, but a lot of it has to do with culture and system. torts is a coach that strives for a “tough” team due to his system and overall personality.

He can strive for whatever he wants, but toughness is an inherent personality trait. I'm sure there are a couple of exceptions, but very few.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
man, what happened to Debrusk this year? might be off topic but watching the game, and I heard he's probably going to be available.
I wonder if the Bruins would consider a swap of him for Kreider, especially if they don’t resign hall. They’d fit both teams timelines better, and DeBrusk would be much easier to get rid of in a year or two (rfa contract expires) if it’s not working out than Kreider

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Brooks advocating for Rinne? If you're going that route, bring Hank back. I don't see it.

well you don't know if hank will ever play again....if hank had played in washington this year, I'm sure the article would have been about how they missed his leadership this year and should bring him back for a year so he could retire a ranger. but huge uncertainty about his health and if he still wants to play at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad