Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2019/2020) - DeAngelo and Lemieux Left

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Outside of kreider? Yes. Strome and or namestnikov should have been moved in the same fashion as jimmy Vesey a while ago.

And how this would work?

First, their "base" return trade value is roughly 2nd-4rd round pick (setting it somewhat wide so it's not an argument point). Second, either player is not "efficient" in terms of value (contribution over compensation) so in the offseason other GMs would be rightfully thinking of being able of obtaining similar player in the UFA market without losing any assets at all. Now what would be the cents on a dollar in this scenario? Wouldn't it (rightfully) be viewed as a cap dump which potentially would result in something like Namestnikov +3rd from the Rangers for 5th rounder coming back? And now with most teams in a cap crunch and still a significant number of unsigned UFA it's just as unlikely that Gorton will be able to find a dance partner to move him. On the other hand at TDL salary is much less of a concern than it's now when it's about 1/3 of $4m to absorb against the cap).

Strome is in very similar position in this regard but depending on his performance in the upcoming season - there's a potential that he survives as part of the Rangers beyond the upcoming season (close to 100% that Namestnikov will not based on current circumstances).

At this point it is what is but the real mistake by Gorton was giving Names 2-year contract instead of 1-year).

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Having Smith and his versatility (LD, RD, wing) on the roster would potentially allow the Rangers to carry only 12+7+2 if needed for cap purposes early on.
Yeah, this is the most cap friendly move to start the year.

I think we are getting too caught up on the roster, especially for August. We do it every year, but still. Odds are a bunch of the young guys will be up and down. Arguing about Smith is pointless. Fox will probably bounce back and forth. Kravtsov will probably start in the A. Someone will surprise in camp, start on the big club and go down because the minutes dried up or they came back down to earth. Someone will go down but be up with an injury replacement.

Strome is the "most proven" 2C at the moment no matter how much people hate that statement. But penciling him into that spot in August doesn't mean Chytil can't win it in game 2 or game 30. Its just place holding on paper.

Posters hate Strome being the guy there on paper but that means there is opportunity for risers. They didn't bring in a proven vet to block the spot. It's on Chytil, Andersson, Howden, etc to go win it.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Rangers can sign a defenseman for $700k and save ~$400k at the start of the season. At the deadline that should be ~$2m in additional contract space. People concerned with bonuses from Kakko or Kravtsov should be jumping all over this additional savings from Day 1 to make sure this is avoided.

Reactions: What Door

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Yeah, this is the most cap friendly move to start the year.

I think we are getting too caught up on the roster, especially for August. We do it every year, but still. Odds are a bunch of the young guys will be up and down. Arguing about Smith is pointless. Fox will probably bounce back and forth. Kravtsov will probably start in the A. Someone will surprise in camp, start on the big club and go down because the minutes dried up or they came back down to earth. Someone will go down but be up with an injury replacement.

Strome is the "most proven" 2C at the moment no matter how much people hate that statement. But penciling him into that spot in August doesn't mean Chytil can't win it in game 2 or game 30. Its just place holding on paper.

Posters hate Strome being the guy there on paper but that means there is opportunity for risers. They didn't bring in a proven vet to block the spot. It's on Chytil, Andersson, Howden, etc to go win it.
Right.

Strome is the "if all else fails" option at 2C. We have Andersson, Howden, and Chytil that could all step up and take those minutes, if they earn it.

All 3 of those players should be hungry and have something to prove. Give them the offensive minutes. Strome/Namestnikov/Zibanejad can get the tough minutes.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
No college kids can play in the WC without being under an NHL contract. Kreider did it a couple of times I believe.

By "available" I mean players under contract are willing to risk it. You never see RFAs or UFAs ply in the WC. Gorton had the intention to trade for Fox this summer anyway, but had he done so later on, Fox may not have accepted because an injury sustained in the WC would have changed everything.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If I were to give ADA some advice, I would say look at and talk to former Ranger Dan Boyle.

Boyle was a cast-off from FLA who went on to have a near hall of fame level career. Very similar players, undersized offensive RHD. If ADA models his game around Boyle's without the puck, he's going to be a very very good player.

Boyle's contracts at first were on the underwhelming side, but he went on cash in. ADA doesn't have the leverage to sit out.... he needs to think long term... if he sits out... it will cost him more down the line.

Sign for a show me contract, earn your ice time, and when January 1st comes in. Start showing why you need to get paid. Guys who were healthy scratches multiple times aren't usually the ones cashing out.

ADA is the 12th highest scoring RFA whose still unsigned, and did it in 75% of the games as the other guys. Some of those other RFAs are going to make some major league dollars. ADA needs to look at it and say, that's just 5 months away when he can extend on Jan 1st.

Henrik took a 1 year deal at a lower cap hit due to cap constraints and cashed in. It's not unprecedented.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
By "available" I mean players under contract are willing to risk it. You never see RFAs or UFAs ply in the WC. Gorton had the intention to trade for Fox this summer anyway, but had he done so later on, Fox may not have accepted because an injury sustained in the WC would have changed everything.

Ah yes. I see what you mean. True enough. Most guys wont play in the tourney if they are free agents. The injury risk is too high. Thanks for clarifying.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
At this point smith probably does need to be the 7th D/13th forward. Which probably puts Nieves and Andersson in Hartford to start. (I have McKegg as the 12th forward)

Count me in the group that doesn’t believe it’s going to be so easy to sign 77 and 48 to 1 year 1 million dollar contracts.

Reactions: leetch99

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I'm really not worried about ADA going to play in Europe.

he's the type of kid who wears a "Back to Back World War Champs" shirt on the 4th of July before drinking 20 domestics. Those guys don't move to Europe.

That kid is the last one to worry about going to Europe lol

Reactions: nyr2k2

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
The problem is that a Staal buyout alone would NOT have been enough to get cap compliant...

He would have gotten you half way there, Smith would have gotten you the rest of the way, but now you need another LD, a spare LD, and for the 2 years after the original contacts end, you were looking at DOUBLE the dead cap hit (both Staal and Smith had dead cap hits around $1.1-1.2M/year for 2 years).

Shatts brought the most cap relief now with the least dead cap charge in years 3 and 4 of the buyout.

It boggles my mind that people still need to have it explained to them why a Staal or Smith buyout wasn't a viable alternative to Shattenkirk, for what the Rangers needed.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I wonder to start out the season to bank some money if the Rangers just go with a minimum roster.

From October 6th to November 1st their furthest road game is DC.

If they need someone from Hartford in a flash, they can get someone up the day of pretty much every game in October.

Reactions: egelband

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I wonder to start out the season to bank some money if the Rangers just go with a minimum roster.

From October 6th to November 1st their furthest road game is DC.

If they need someone from Hartford in a flash, they can get someone up the day of pretty much every game in October.

They also have a week off after game 2 for whatever reason so they really have no need to carry more than 20 players for the first two weeks.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad