Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2019/2020) - DeAngelo and Lemieux Left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A few thoughts:

1. Tony D should do what Trouba did in Winnipeg in the same situation. Take the offer, and then enjoy the freedom that comes with just being underpaid for one year (in Trouba’s case it was two).

Same for Lemieux of course. He is getting good advice from his dad who is an agent, it’s a no brainer for him.

2. I think both Tony and Lemieux will be in camp on Day 1.

But you tell me — why — should they sign before Day 1 minus 1? Like Gorton is more or less on record that he is trying to shed salary by trades. If he succeeds, these guys will get paid more on an equal super attractive short term deal that gets them to the golden arbitration eligible days — at age 24-25.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Craig Custance wrote a great piece for The Athletic yesterday.

“Everyone knows (Marner) is going to be a tough one and a big one,” said another agent. “They want to see what’s going to happen there. Everything is jammed up. The cap is tighter. There’s no room. People are still looking for trades to shed salary and all the RFAs still are out there. It’s a little bit uncharted territory.”

“All the agents are afraid to take the first move,” said an Eastern Conference GM. “Teams can’t go about their plans to improve their team. … Let’s say Winnipeg is starving to add a defenseman, they have to figure it out. They can’t do anything until they figure out those two guys (Laine and Connor).”

Mike Liut has Laine and Rantanen. He has Draisaitl. Liut has Kaapo Kakko. The Rangers will be in this situation in three years or sooner. Kakko will be eligible for an extension in July 2021.

This is why the Rangers couldn't trade anyone besides Vesey. Very tight. So many teams are looking to shed money with few teams having the space to take on money.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
At this point smith probably does need to be the 7th D/13th forward. Which probably puts Nieves and Andersson in Hartford to start. (I have McKegg as the 12th forward)

Count me in the group that doesn’t believe it’s going to be so easy to sign 77 and 48 to 1 year 1 million dollar contracts.

ADA can ask for more but Lemieux won’t make more than 1.5 over 1 year imo

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Craig Custance wrote a great piece for The Athletic yesterday.

Mike Liut has Laine and Rantanen. He has Draisaitl. Liut has Kaapo Kakko. The Rangers will be in this situation in three years or sooner. Kakko will be eligible for an extension in July 2021.

This is why the Rangers couldn't trade anyone besides Vesey. Very tight. So many teams are looking to shed money with few teams having the space to take on money.

It has been so obvious that this was going to happen this season. I made many posts about it during the spring:

On May 19:
upload_2019-8-16_14-4-44.png

On May 21:
upload_2019-8-16_14-5-19.png

Its kind of funny, because when you look at it, there have probably been a record number of trades this summer in the Cap era. If we count bona-fide NHL players its probably up towards 30 players with new teams. On average one per team.

There was never going to be enough takers for the contracts many thought Gorton could be able to move.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The Rangers could have bought out Strome at 1/3 by June 30.

Cheap buyout.

View attachment 249815

Buyout Smith in the 2nd buyout window.

View attachment 249817

The Rangers save $6,054,834 this season. The combined cap hit would have been $1,404,166.

The Shattenkirk buyout saved $5,166,667 this season. $1,483,333 cap hit.

No crazy $6M cap hit next season with the Strome and Smith combination.

Strome is one of the names you hear and read when the subject of clearing money is mentioned. The Rangers could have just bought him at a 1/3.

Maybe the Rangers plan all along was to buyout Shattenkirk if they couldn't make a trade or two to clear out the money.
This is all great, in hindsight. UFA didn’t start until July 1st, so the Rangers would have had to buy out Strome BEFORE they even got a chance to sign Panarin.

I’m well aware that there’s a week period before UFA during which they can talk to pending UFAs, but unless they were relatively sure Panarin was signing with them, buying out Strome is insanity, since they wouldn’t have needed the cap space anyway.

Reactions: egelband

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
The Rangers have ~$2.5m in cap space. They can afford to pay them slightly more than their qualifiers.
Yes, I’d do 900-950k for Lemmy and 1.2 for ADA. I believe that leaves us with 400k in space and if we carry 21 for East games by using Mr Versatility as 13th F / 7th D then it works out to be 1.5 except that a useful F will need to go to Hartford, maybe Howden and Lias rotate to keep fit.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yes, I’d do 900-950k for Lemmy and 1.2 for ADA. I believe that leaves us with 400k in space and if we carry 21 for East games by using Mr Versatility as 13th F / 7th D then it works out to be 1.5 except that a useful F will need to go to Hartford, maybe Howden and Lias rotate to keep fit.

Yep. Also, to clarify that $2.5m further, that included Kravtsov on the roster and Nieves in Hartford. So we'd potentially have another $200k in flexibility as well.

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
Hey guys Im new here and have watched hockey all my life, but really got into it at the worst time- the last year of Av's tenure. Since then, I am still learning but would like to pass my two cents.
1. I think mika can hit a career high in goals and we should be very happy we have a shootfirst center. From what it seems, we had a finishing problem a while back and now- not so much.
2. Kakko or kravstov should be top 3 for calder and i really hope it becomes so. They are also both pretty tall- kakko is an ox while kravstov is like 6'4 and on the skinny side.
3. Our team is starting to not try to be just big but big and skilled. We still need to play more physical, at least we have to if we want to succeed in the playoffs.
4. Finally, I have been reading hf boards for quite a while and you guys seem great, hope I can offer some discussion since it is the worst month for hockey.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Hey guys Im new here and have watched hockey all my life, but really got into it at the worst time- the last year of Av's tenure. Since then, I am still learning but would like to pass my two cents.
1. I think mika can hit a career high in goals and we should be very happy we have a shootfirst center. From what it seems, we had a finishing problem a while back and now- not so much.
2. Kakko or kravstov should be top 3 for calder and i really hope it becomes so. They are also both pretty tall- kakko is an ox while kravstov is like 6'4 and on the skinny side.
3. Our team is starting to not try to be just big but big and skilled. We still need to play more physical, at least we have to if we want to succeed in the playoffs.
4. Finally, I have been reading hf boards for quite a while and you guys seem great, hope I can offer some discussion since it is the worst month for hockey.
Welcome! Don't disagree with anything you wrote.

Reactions: MrPodz

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
Y'know...

There's also the chance that management thinks they see some of what made Strome a former #5OA pick and 50-pt scorer in his second year in the NHL, think they started to tap into some of that last year, and they actually value him as a player/asset...
Aside from his most likely unmatchable shooting percentage, there could be some merit in the hope that as a stop gap, he does pretty well. He was playing for two dumpsters in edmonton and islanders. He also was an ahl star, and hes 25. That being said, hope he does extremely well and yields a great return. Many gms are desperate to make the playoffs. Also i dont understand how people think the winnipeg jets are still amazing. They lost myers, chiarot and trouba- although they have a "minutes eating machine" in pionk

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
ADA can ask for more but Lemieux won’t make more than 1.5 over 1 year imo

Lemieux is probably stuck at under 1 mil. He might as well sign and get it over with.

DeAngelo they honestly need to bridge 2 seasons. One year and he could cost a fortune next season when money is still tight. I have zero doubt that if he plays every night he’s at least a 40 point dman. My gut tells me he’s a 50 plus guy. And I think he’s pretty good defensively and only getting better. He’s also a complete POS to play against and will leave you on your back if you look at him the wrong way. He should be playing 20 mins a game.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Y'know...

There's also the chance that management thinks they see some of what made Strome a former #5OA pick and 50-pt scorer in his second year in the NHL, think they started to tap into some of that last year, and they actually value him as a player/asset...

Oh absolutely. I know they're not the same player, but remember what happened with Brassard at about the same age.

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
Oh absolutely. I know they're not the same player, but remember what happened with Brassard at about the same age.
Brassard revitalized his career here, became a fan favorite, got traded and is now a journeyman. Funny how life works out huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad