Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2019/2020) - DeAngelo and Lemieux Left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The theme of this offseason is that a topic is beaten to death to the point that I don’t care about the topic anymore as long as the discussion ends, move to the next topic and repeat. Traverse city can’t come soon enough

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ask yourself this...why did Drury, in his role as National Team GM, take Fox to World Championships instead of D’Angelo?

The real question here is: Did the Rangers trade for Fox early so they could sign him and make him available for the WC that way?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ask yourself this...why did Drury, in his role as National Team GM, take Fox to World Championships instead of D’Angelo?

RFAs are tricky to insure for the WCHs. I think the nations can piggy back in the NHL insurance with player under contracts, but it’s harder with RFAs and more expensive.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The real question is...have any of those busts comments been proven wrong yet... The only 2 guys I can remember clearly being called out were lias, who is almost universally seen as having at best a down season... And bereglazov who was.. well.. clearly a bust.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Re. ADA I don't think the Rangers need this $2.6-2.8 cap space. For a short bridge deal where ADA has practically no leverage this is too much. On the other hand, to sign him to a long term contract it's not enough.

Re. lineup - I'm not a gambler but I'd almost put my money on the organization penciling Chytil into 2C spot, not Strome.
That $2.6-$2.8M in space was what was simply left over from the previous moves, but my main point was that it's easily enough of a cushion to bring ADA in on a one-year deal. I also agree that it's definitely not enough for a multi-year deal, and, based on EvolvingWild's contract model, ADA is valued at 6 yrs $4.6M. While I would love to be able to ink him to that deal, I know that would cause some on here to have a stroke :laugh:

I also agree about putting someone other than Strome at 2C, and that's what I'm expecting. The lineup I posted was a bit of me being lazy and just copying the lineup that was listed on CapFriendly.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
That $2.6-$2.8M in space was what was simply left over from the previous moves, but my main point was that it's easily enough of a cushion to bring ADA in on a one-year deal. I also agree that it's definitely not enough for a multi-year deal, and, based on EvolvingWild's contract model, ADA is valued at 6 yrs $4.6M. While I would love to be able to ink him to that deal, I know that would cause some on here to have a stroke :laugh:

I also agree about putting someone other than Strome at 2C, and that's what I'm expecting. The lineup I posted was a bit of me being lazy and just copying the lineup that was listed on CapFriendly.

Sign ada for his entry level deal and then in the middle of the year when we can extend players we sign ada if he is playing well to 3 years at 2.5m per?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Sign ada for his entry level deal and then in the middle of the year when we can extend players we sign ada if he is playing well to 3 years at 2.5m per?

If ADA signs a 1-year deal now, he isn't signing long-term mid-season. He will go to arbitration in July 2020 then

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
This is silliness. DeAngelo and Lemieux have little-to-no leverage unless through an offer sheet. Gorton has a price in mind and he knows that those two have little recourse except a holdout if they can't attract an offer from another team. If another team is bothering to do an offer sheet, they'll make it at a price that's fair for them as players, but more than what's traditionally given to your own RFAs without arbitration rights. It would have a lot more impact than saving Gorton the work of negotiation.
You brought up the H word

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Where and for what though? The market has come to a screeching halt. There’s not many teams with cap space, and the ones that do have a RFA that's going to get a huge deal.

It’s funny you say that. Because I’ve been stressing urgency since June 1st and we waited and waited and waited and waited and sure enough it’s mid August and the market is dead. We did the same thing last summer

Reactions: TheTakedown

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Did Armia or Lehkonen receive offer sheets? Did anyone on Calgary get offer sheeted after they sent one to ROR? Did anyone on PHI get offer sheeted after they sent one to Weber? Did anyone on SJ get offer sheeted after they sent one to Hjalmarsson?

That's the last 10 years of offer sheets. There has not been this retaliation even one time.

The last team to offer sheet a player and then have one of their players offer sheeted was Carolina. They sent one to Fedorov in 1998. Then Montreal sent on to Aho in 2019. I do not think these are related.
Other than Montreal, who has cap space right now, all those other examples are comparable to the current state of the league? All those teams at that time were in cap hell right?

Maybe we should consider that as part of the context of the discussion. The position teams are currently in with their salary cap and with how young the league is getting meaning there are more and more players who will be looking to sign their 2nd and 3rd contracts right now
See all RFAs right now.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Outside of kreider? Yes. Strome and or namestnikov should have been moved in the same fashion as jimmy Vesey a while ago.
My sense is they are not done with Strome and Names. With Vesey, I think they saw enough and became convinced he wasn't going to improve here.

Reactions: egelband

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Arbitration isn't always about getting a contract through the arbitrator. It's about leverage

It is about getting a contract, that leverage is to get a better contract

But if the rangers want to sign him long term they aren’t going to lowball him

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Why? Players can suck AND be young... if, say, Kakko was WAAAY behind everyone there, all things considered, he's not a bust but very likely not a franchise player. The consensus for Pionk was a bust after 20 NHL games around here.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It is about getting a contract, that leverage is to get a better contract

But if the rangers want to sign him long term they aren’t going to lowball him

Negotiating in July with an arbitration case pending makes more sense than negotiating mid-season

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Outside of kreider? Yes. Strome and or namestnikov should have been moved in the same fashion as jimmy Vesey a while ago.
A while ago, all Strome could get was Ryan Spooner. A while ago, Names was the asset of least value in a multi-player trade. They both finally have some worth to us, but we’re going to move them at a penalty and scramble for replacements because the league knows we’re in a corner? No thanks.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
My sense is they are not done with Strome and Names. With Vesey, I think they saw enough and became convinced he wasn't going to improve here.
Panarin and Trouba forced the Vesey move. There was a standing offer on the table. We took it because there was no other choice and the offers were going to get worse before they ever got better. Vesey will have a good season in Buffalo getting middle-six minutes.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Panarin and Trouba forced the Vesey move. There was a standing offer on the table. We took it because there was no other choice and the offers were going to get worse before they ever got better. Vesey will have a good season in Buffalo getting middle-six minutes.
To flip this around, they are more confident in their wings than center depth. Down the middle, they want to keep some warm bodies around.

Reactions: Avery16

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Negotiating in July with an arbitration case pending makes more sense than negotiating mid-season

True but right now ada has no leverage to get the big money everyone keeps proposing for him in a long term deal. I've seen 5y 6m aav... 4y 4m aav. These are astronomical numbers for a player who has shown he belongs at the end of a season on a horrible defensive unit. Yes he put up 30pts good for him but hes not getting that type of money. He needs to play for that type of money and contract in my book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad