Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXVII: Another Thread Bites The Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Wait wait wait....not done. Who replaces JT? :D

I really think we need a top line all star caliber forward. Of course it would be great if it was a center although I think we may be too preoccupied with finding a center. Please just get us a 40 goal 80 point player. It can be a wing. Is that too much to ask? :)

Jagr

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Here is the funny thing. Our fans say our team with no 30 goal scorer or 60 point player has plenty of offense. Meanwhile Pitt with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, etc are looking to add more offense. :D

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Kovalchuk and Radulov are BIG NO:s from me. Marleau and Bonino too. Not 100% sure about Jumbo Joe, term and $$ would have to be seen first. Sticking Sophomore Buch with him and Nash would however be an interesting scenario. Anders Nilsson will be a Ranger shortly I heard. Grigorenko or Burmi as a fourth line center reclamation idea is not totally stupid either. Unless McPhee wants to trade us Oscar L back for something meaningless (guy is a total tool). Shattenkirk is probably coming to NYC whether we like it or not. Writing is all over the wall on this one. They are still few hundred thousand apart I gather but that will be worked out.

Is that your gut or from a source?
About Shattenkirk

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
what do people consider a "hometown deal"?

Serious question

Any 9 figure annual salary where the beginning of it doesn't start with a 7.

In all seriousness, I think a 6.75 to 6.95 x 6 would be a "hometown discount" considering it's very likely he'll be offered more like 7.5 or more by the Devils and maybe Sabres. He'd be leaving close to 6 million or more over the life of the contract on the table just to come here.

And if Tampa is as involved as what we've heard and read, considering the "no state tax" advantage Florida teams have, he'd be saving about half a million in taxes per year even if he was offered the same amount I propose up above which would be a savings of close to 4 million. It would be even more if TBay offers him a 7-7.5 per type contract.

Bottom line: Shatty really needs to want to come here in order for this to get done.

My feeling is he does. I just hope and pray the money he would leave on the table is not over the $10 million mark over the life of the contract he gets seeing that would be really really hard to just let go. Hmmm....tomorrow can't get here soon enough.

Popcorn and Blue Moon beer is ready to roll...:nod:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The Rangers don't have the parts to trade for Duchene anyways unless you're willing to part with McDonagh or Skjei, a 1st, and probably a decent prospect

That's what Colorado is looking for.

I hate how this board gets obsessed with certain players and then spins around and around and around convincing themselves that somehow Ryan Graves Boo Neives and a 1st round pick would be enough to land Duchene

I'd also wouldn't mind having Duchene to be 1-2 with Ziba if there's a reasonable trade value that Aves would've accepted. In that regard Duchene price might be lower than what you think due to the same reasons Stepan brought back less than expected. He's not a developing top echelon prospect, hes production declined last season, he's got a hefty price tag and Aves don't look to take back salary. Most teams either don't have cap room to take on contract without sending back another big contract or won't part with their prospect for a 26 year old.

Edit: I wouldn't feel too bad if Dadonov was Miller's replacement if he was used as a primary value to obtain a center of Duchene caliber.

I'd wish something like Miller, Gropp and a 1st would be enough more or less.

As to ODC saying that Duchene plays younger than Stepan to me means that Duchene doesn't have as many hard, grinding playoff miles as Stepan, which seems true to me.

Finally, it would fit into my notion of rebuilding on a fly.

STHLM

Jun 30, 2017
Stockholm
What do You guys think of going after Draisaitl? The Oilers wont be able to let their Cs alone take up 20+ mil of their cap, meanwhile Rangers have lots of room and want to get top 6 Cs. Draisaitl is What, 21? And put up 70+ points this season. Thinking Nash and some adds for him. Probably very unrealistic but let a man dream.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What do You guys think of going after Draisaitl? The Oilers wont be able to let their Cs alone take up 20+ mil of their cap, meanwhile Rangers have lots of room and want to get top 6 Cs. Draisaitl is What, 21? And put up 70+ points this season. Thinking Nash and some adds for him. Probably very unrealistic but let a man dream.

This has been discussed at length. EDM says they will match any offer sheet thrown at him, and we don't have the assets to acquire him without blowing up our team

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta

We've discussed it numerous times. They'll find another way to free up cap while keeping him. Probably by moving Lucic to RNH

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

It's not happening. They aren't giving an offer sheet to anyone. It's sort of an unwritten rule.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
This is a good point raised, why not trade for Lindberg and bump him up to 3C? He was a 2nd round pick, not sure worth more than that. Would you trade next years 2nd for Lindberg? Still not replacing Stepan but at least we know what he brings.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Do you mean in a trade or offer sheet?

I would not be opposed to a huge trade for Leon or Nate M. I just prefer it done sooner rather than later. I would rather have 2 great top lines and a average 3rd line than 4 good lines.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Do you mean in a trade or offer sheet?

I would not be opposed to a huge trade for Leon or Nate M. I just prefer it done sooner rather than later. I would rather have 2 great top lines and a average 3rd line than 4 good lines.

I don't think its necessary.

Lindberg had 20 points in 65 games last year.

Burmistrov had 16 points in 49 games last year.

Both came on strong at the end of the year.

Both are 25 years old.

Both are centers.

Sign Burmistrov for a couple of years and play him where you would've played Lindberg. Actually pretty similar players

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Both are 25 years old.

Both are centers.

Sign Burmistrov for a couple of years and play him where you would've played Lindberg. Actually pretty similar players

Starting to think they lose out on Shatty and Thornton

Sign a 4th C like Burmistrov, depth winger like Pulliott, backup likr Nilsson

Then we see a trade for a D like Demers. No idea where they get a 2nd line C

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
So it certainly seems like Florida might be trying to load up on Russians tomorrow. They have like 1 top-9 winger under contract. :laugh:

Radulov, Kovalchuk, and Dadonov taking their talents to just north of South Beach? :nod:

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
Any 9 figure annual salary where the beginning of it doesn't start with a 7.

In all seriousness, I think a 6.75 to 6.95 x 6 would be a "hometown discount" considering it's very likely he'll be offered more like 7.5 or more by the Devils and maybe Sabres. He'd be leaving close to 6 million or more over the life of the contract on the table just to come here.

And if Tampa is as involved as what we've heard and read, considering the "no state tax" advantage Florida teams have, he'd be saving about half a million in taxes per year even if he was offered the same amount I propose up above which would be a savings of close to 4 million. It would be even more if TBay offers him a 7-7.5 per type contract.

Bottom line: Shatty really needs to want to come here in order for this to get done.

My feeling is he does. I just hope and pray the money he would leave on the table is not over the $10 million mark over the life of the contract he gets seeing that would be really really hard to just let go. Hmmm....tomorrow can't get here soon enough.

Popcorn and Blue Moon beer is ready to roll...:nod:

Wait, nine figures?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Both are 25 years old.

Both are centers.

I'm not sure I get your point. Are you trying to win a cup or just replace Oscar Lindberg? To be candid our 4th line isn't a major concern for me. If we had guys like Crosby or McDavid up front I'd be fine playing with a 4th line of AHL tweeners.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
No Shatty
Duchene going to Columbus or Pittsburgh
NJ and Phi are young

and here we are ...

b7e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.