Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXVII: Another Thread Bites The Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I expect at least one or two of the following players to dress for us next season:

Shatty
Kovy
Duchene
Trouba
Thornton
McD
Marleau
Nate M
Jagr

All kidding aside I do not think Kovy is one of our top choices BUT could be a fall back if others are not reasonable.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Look, I am all for trading Stepan to make us a better team with more talent on the top-line but all we have now is a huge hole down the middle.

When you want to improve a position, you have to do 2 things: Get rid of the old player, and get a new one who is better and fills the position in a better way.

We did step number 1. Now what about step number 2? Who is going to replace Stepan as our 1C/2C? Zibanejad might be ready for a bigger role, but if 55 points doesn't cut it for Stepan, Zib's numbers aren't very promising either. Anything can happen, and he is still young but when Stepan was his age, he had just reached 44 points in 48 games in the shortened season. Whatever happened after that? People automatically assume players will grow and their production will increase until they are 27.

And then Hayes as the possible 2C? Yikes.

When people say Zibs will replace Steps points I ask who will replace Zibs points. When people say Hayes will replace Zibs points I ask who will replace Hayes points. When people say Crosby will replace Hayes points, I grudgingly say okay I can live with that. :)

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Kovalchuk and Radulov are BIG NO:s from me. Marleau and Bonino too. Not 100% sure about Jumbo Joe, term and $$ would have to be seen first. Sticking Sophomore Buch with him and Nash would however be an interesting scenario. Anders Nilsson will be a Ranger shortly I heard. Grigorenko or Burmi as a fourth line center reclamation idea is not totally stupid either. Unless McPhee wants to trade us Oscar L back for something meaningless (guy is a total tool). Shattenkirk is probably coming to NYC whether we like it or not. Writing is all over the wall on this one. They are still few hundred thousand apart I gather but that will be worked out.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
under 6.5 AAV would be beautiful

In this case? Probably 6/6.5
About 1-1.5 less than he can get on the open market and 1-2 years shorter

Some variation here

This is probably the most I would go, and also the least I would see him being okay with

Any less years or AAV and I think he goes elsewhere. The number Brooks threw out (5 years at 6 million) would not be enough for me, if I was in his position

less than the highest offer :naughty:
:handclap:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He will stay in San Jose if they are giving him 2 years.

Marleau is a living legend out here. I order his sandwich (the Patrick Marleau, it's so good) from one of the local sandwich shops all the time.

He will retire a Shark

Wasn't there some noise that he wanted out last season or the season before?

defjux41

Oct 21, 2013
I don't know but I think the Rangers are willing to pay more than they've let on here.

It's smarter for them to play it off like they have no interest than get into a bidding war. They know NY is his preference, it's ok to play hardball a little bit.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Youre confusing the fact that there's very little distinction between those two things.

The distinction is that there are 31 1Cs in the league, and "elite" 1C is a subjective subset of this sample. I could say there are 5 elite centers in the league, but you might think there are 10.

It is a fact, though, that the top 31 centers in the league are all 1Cs. Undeniable fact.

In the Malkin example, playing 2C doesn't mean you're a 2C. That's just where you play. Malkin is a "1C", because he is among the league's 31 best centers.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Youre confusing the fact that there's very little distinction between those two things.

That's your definition. A 1C is a top-line center. A top-30 or 35 center. Stepan is definitely that. Some teams have 2 (Penguins, Oilers) but now we have none.

PS: Looking at your username and status, if Andersson scores his first goal, I am making a "Caldersson" picture, the same way I did with Lindberg (Calderberg) haha

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
When people say Zibs will replace Steps points I ask who will replace Zibs points. When people say Hayes will replace Zibs points I ask who will replace Hayes points. When people say Crosby will replace Hayes points, I grudgingly say okay I can live with that. :)

This is how it will work. Zib replaces Stepan, Hayes replaces Zib, Miller replaces Hayes, cheap UFA replaces Lindberg. done

but on a serious level, I think Miller might be tried at C and they will bring in cheaper UFA's for 3-4 center slots and let training camp and first half of season determine that. With this crop of UFA's there aren't obvious options, they'll patch something together and maybe add top 9 forward depth to hopefully help out. I can't imagine they will go for a Thornton. But instead cheaper wingers like Pouliot, Hartnel, Jokinen, etc. Centers might be Desharnais, Nestrasil, maybe even a Gagner, and in-house Miller and Nieves for bottom 6. This will be a step back vs prior years but maybe acceptable with revamped D and more scoring on wing?

glees68

Penn State
Dec 20, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kovalchuk and Radulov are BIG NO:s from me. Marleau and Bonino too. Not 100% sure about Jumbo Joe, term and $$ would have to be seen first. Sticking Sophomore Buch with him and Nash would however be an interesting scenario. Anders Nilsson will be a Ranger shortly I heard. Grigorenko or Burmi as a fourth line center reclamation idea is not totally stupid either. Unless McPhee wants to trade us Oscar L back for something meaningless (guy is a total tool). Shattenkirk is probably coming to NYC whether we like it or not. Writing is all over the wall on this one. They are still few hundred thousand apart I gather but that will be worked out.

Thank you for the insight, BBKers. It's always appreciated. :thumbu:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This is how it will work. Zib replaces Stepan, Hayes replaces Zib, Miller replaces Hayes, cheap UFA replaces Lindberg. done

but on a serious level, I think Miller might be tried at C and they will bring in cheaper UFA's for 3-4 center slots and let training camp and first half of season determine that. With this crop of UFA's there aren't obvious options, they'll patch something together and maybe add top 9 forward depth to hopefully help out. I can't imagine they will go for a Thornton. But instead cheaper wingers like Pouliot, Hartnel, Jokinen, etc. Centers might be Desharnais, Nestrasil, maybe even a Gagner, and in-house Miller and Nieves for bottom 6. This will be a step back vs prior years but maybe acceptable with revamped D and more scoring on wing?

Wait wait wait....not done. Who replaces JT? :D

I really think we need a top line all star caliber forward. Of course it would be great if it was a center although I think we may be too preoccupied with finding a center. Please just get us a 40 goal 80 point player. It can be a wing. Is that too much to ask? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad