Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXIII:Stepping up next? A Top Ten pick???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Staal to Florida or Dallas?

Bereglazov starts on the 3rd pair
Sign both Shattenkirk and Smith

McDonagh Shattenkirk
Skjei Smith
Bereglazov DeAngelo

Miller Zibanejad Buch
Kreider Hanzal Zucc
Vesey Hayes Nash
Grabner Boyle Fast

Lundqvist
Kinkaid

That team could win a few playoff series

Agreed...an ECF appearance should be in cards with a lineup that looked similar to this.

Keys for me would be Mika taking that next step as I've said a few times to where he was a 60-65 point guy.

Vesey and Buch especially becoming bigtime contributors and take their next steps in their progressions.

And most importantly with an improved defense in front of him, Hank, with a chip on his shoulder to show his doubters that last year as a fluke, plays like the Hank we all love and know.

Hanzel or Bonino works for me to be honest. We need to get one or the other unless of course Gorton figures out a way to get a center better than those two withought giving up the farm which would be doubtful.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Am I the only one who's less concerned about Andersson being able to play in the NHL next season as Nieves? Andersson had a slightly better PPG average in a better league with a smaller role. He's also not coming off such an injury riddled year. He's also not such a limited player like Nieves is? I have more confidence in a 7OA pick making improvements than a guy who is probably a low level NHL'er if he even sticks.

And if Andersson isn't ready, don't rush him. Give him a chance in camp to take 3C, but no less than a third line role. If he's not going to be top 9, he's gotta go back.

But we might need another two C's. I guess you could put Miller at center, but even then, we need another center.

I wouldn't be surprised if Andersson was more ready for a NHL spot than Nieves in September. But I think that unless Andersson is really blowing the doors off in training camp, he should go back to the SHL and work on refining his offensive game.

I'm really just wary of him starting in the NHL and being put in a defensive role right away and never really developing his offense like I think he can

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn't be surprised if Andersson was more ready for a NHL spot than Nieves in September. But I think that unless Andersson is really blowing the doors off in training camp, he should go back to the SHL and work on refining his offensive game.

I'm really just wary of him starting in the NHL and being put in a defensive role right away and never really developing his offense like I think he can

I understand the arguments, and think there is validity to both of them. I'm leaning towards 3C with low 5 on 5 minutes but high PP and PK minutes, but I'd say this is like a 60/40 situation that could go either way.

My stance is that there is no hard and fast rule on whether it'll ruin a kid's development to start them in the NHL right away or wait a year or two. Either could be a solution. What it should depend on is the team's depth on the NHL roster, whether he's NHL ready, and if the coach is committed to playing him in the top 9. But right now, I almost don't know how we could come up with a team that doesn't include Andersson. We are very short on competent NHL'ers. We will probably make more moves, but I gotta think that Andersson will start training camp with a chance to make the team due to us losing two centers, unless we make a lot of moves for centers.

If we add a top 6 center and a 4th line center before training camp, then its an easy choice, and he goes back to Frolunda, but right now I don't think anyone really knows what Gorton plans for this team. It'll be interesting to see. My opinion, I'd go young with this team. I wouldn't concede the season, but I would be more than willing to give young players big roles, and let them develop. If we make the playoffs and they really help us out, great. If not, take the early pick in the next draft, and keep building.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I understand the arguments, and think there is validity to both of them. I'm leaning towards 3C with low 5 on 5 minutes but high PP and PK minutes, but I'd say this is like a 60/40 situation that could go either way.

My stance is that there is no hard and fast rule on whether it'll ruin a kid's development to start them in the NHL right away or wait a year or two. Either could be a solution. What it should depend on is the team's depth on the NHL roster, whether he's NHL ready, and if the coach is committed to playing him in the top 9. But right now, I almost don't know how we could come up with a team that doesn't include Andersson. We are very short on competent NHL'ers. We will probably make more moves, but I gotta think that Andersson will start training camp with a chance to make the team due to us losing two centers, unless we make a lot of moves for centers.

If we add a top 6 center and a 4th line center before training camp, then its an easy choice, and he goes back to Frolunda, but right now I don't think anyone really knows what Gorton plans for this team. It'll be interesting to see. My opinion, I'd go young with this team. I wouldn't concede the season, but I would be more than willing to give young players big roles, and let them develop. If we make the playoffs and they really help us out, great. If not, take the early pick in the next draft, and keep building.

Maybe I'm just a little traumatized from the Malholtra situation :laugh:

If he makes the team I'll definitely be excited just for the fact he's able to make a NHL roster at 18, and either way I'm already wishing the season was about to start

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Staal to Florida or Dallas?

Bereglazov starts on the 3rd pair
Sign both Shattenkirk and Smith

McDonagh Shattenkirk
Skjei Smith
Bereglazov DeAngelo

Miller Zibanejad Buch
Kreider Hanzal Zucc
Vesey Hayes Nash
Grabner Boyle Fast

Lundqvist
Kinkaid

That team could win a few playoff series

I like this lineup except for Hanzal and Kinkaid.

Kinkaid is complete trash, we will need a more dependable back up than him if we're going to have someone who can spell Hank if struggles during the season and can keep Hank rested for the playoffs. I've watched a ton of Kinkaid as the Devils back up and he is garbage.

Hanzal is going to be overpaid and is always injured.

McDonagh-Shattenkirk would be one of the best pairs in the whole league. McD-Shatty Skjei-Smith would be one of the best top 4s in the whole league. Idk if we can fit Shatty and Smith though. I take Shatty over Smith if it comes to that though, he brings more. With Gorton acquring Deangelo and talking about how he can run a PP I wonder if they're considering Shatty an impossibility and planning on Deangelo being the next best option and a younger version, though if it's up to me I'd rather have Shatty + Deangelo instead of Smith + Deangelo.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I'd be okay with this, as long as they sign a bottom 6 C who can play either 3C or 4C who can compete with those last two C's for minutes. I'm not sure both Andersson and Nieves are ready. Gotta prepare for at least one not being ready.

Gotta prepare for both not being ready.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Elite centers in their prime won't be acquirable.

Your best bet wouldve been to take a gamble on a guy like Strome. But that ship has sailed.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
I bet they´ll sign Joe Thornton. Gotta keep up the tradition and bring in fading stars :)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Alexander Wennberg was also a late birthday. He spent one season in Sweden after being drafted before coming to the NHL. Same career path. No reason to rush Andersson. No reason at all.

There were no trades this week for free agent rights to a player. The interview period for group III opens today or earlier this morning. It's an awful list. The free agent list is becoming worse and worse every year. The few good players will receive 5-6-7 year contracts and 95% of the teams will regret the contract by the 2nd season if not before.

The Rangers have so many holes to fill. They don't have many assets to fill all of the holes. Continue to break it down. Stepan was traded. The Rangers should make more trades this week leading up to the start of the new league year on Saturday. Brooks proposed the Rangers seeing what Joe Thornton wants and putting him together with Rick Nash. Bob McKenzie said Thornton is staying in San Jose with term being the big issue. 35 plus contract. Not another year of Nash. I know there isn't a great market for him. Enough of that guy. He also proposed the Rangers looking at Kovalchuk. He is 34 years old. Game breaker my fat ass. I like Brooks than most people here. Just stop.

Hopefully,Gorton can find a few takers for a few of the Rangers this week. He won't be handcuffed by the 4 years remaining at $6.5M and the NTC starting on July 1 with only team interested in the player. It's time.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Alexander Wennberg was also a late birthday. He spent one season in Sweden after being drafted before coming to the NHL. Same career path. No reason to rush Andersson. No reason at all.

There were no trades this week for free agent rights to a player. The interview period for group III opens today or earlier this morning. It's an awful list. The free agent list is becoming worse and worse every year. The few good players will receive 5-6-7 year contracts and 95% of the teams will regret the contract by the 2nd season if not before.

The Rangers have so many holes to fill. They don't have many assets to fill all of the holes. Continue to break it down. Stepan was traded. The Rangers should make more trades this week leading up to the start of the new league year on Saturday. Brooks proposed the Rangers seeing what Joe Thornton wants and putting him together with Rick Nash. Bob McKenzie said Thornton is staying in San Jose with term being the big issue. 35 plus contract. Not another year of Nash. I know there isn't a great market for him. Enough of that guy. He also proposed the Rangers looking at Kovalchuk. He is 34 years old. Game breaker my fat ass. I like Brooks than most people here. Just stop.

Hopefully,Gorton can find a few takers for a few of the Rangers this week. He won't be handcuffed by the 4 years remaining at $6.5M and the NTC starting on July 1 with only team interested in the player. It's time.

are you warming up to sign at least one, if not both smith/shatty? since we got rid of stepan's deal.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't have a problem with any short term commitments -- whether it's for a 25 y/o or 35 y/o -- if the player makes sense on the roster and will help the team to hold up. Good players are developed on good teams, you won't get anything from draft picks if you are a mess on the ice.

We are supposed to be a disaster on the ice without Stepan? When Stepan, or other key players have been injured, our team has not regressed much or at all. We are not a 1-2 player team, no team is in this league. A player plays 1/3 of a game and is 1/6 players on the ice. That is 1/18 to start with.

Stepan AND Lindberg are a big loss, no doubt. But we need two players more than anything, which can be hard enough to find, even a 4th line C can be hard to replace. If you have a good 4th line you don't realize how valuable it is before it starts to suck. It has a big impact on a game. We need a 2-3 C too. But this team will not be horrible if we can't get a top C.

Make the right moves while staying competitive. Don't make 6-7 year commitments. Try to plug one hole out term and the rest with short term solutions. I could care less if the short term solution is 25 or 40, it's what you get on and off the ice that matters.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
are you warming up to sign at least one, if not both smith/shatty? since we got rid of stepan's deal.

Shattenkirk? The Rangers are giving Shattenkirk 7 years? $6.5M per? More?

Smith? It depends.

The Rangers have cap space to retain money for Nash. Maybe take on a bad contract for a draft pick or younger player. Depending upon the contract.

The Rangers are not winning anything for a while. The Rangers are in rebuild mode. The Rangers traded a forward who played in every situation for them for a package of futures.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am definitely not interested in either Shatty and Smith. Smith wasn't even that good here, we are giving him an Orpik contract? Smith didn't make any glaring mistakes and had solid advanced stats -- which resulted in many claiming that he was great for us. Smith didn't move the puck that well. He didn't produce offensively at all basically. He was hurt being a LHS defensively. I would t mind keeping him at like 3x3 or even slightly more, but 4.5-5x5 is just a why too big commitment for him. It's UFA money, 3 decent Ds available and 31 GMa looking for Ds.

McD-Staal
Skjei-Holden
Bereglazov-DeAngelo

Hopefully Pionk can exceed expectations and come in and contribute.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Guys we aren't going to make 4 big UFA signings to just put bandaids on the team. I think it'll be one of Smith/Shattenkirk at most. I like the idea of Bonino, but the dude is gonna be 30 and just put a lot of hard miles on his body.

The name that keeps sticking out to me, is when jay from jersey mentioned Grigorenko. Making a move with Florida also makes way too much sense.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think where we were overvaluing Stepan last week McD is being underrated a bit in trade proposals.

Top 15 Dman in the league are valued the most in trades. 2 years left at a great cap hit.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I am definitely not interested in either Shatty and Smith. Smith wasn't even that good here, we are giving him an Orpik contract? Smith didn't make any glaring mistakes and had solid advanced stats -- which resulted in many claiming that he was great for us. Smith didn't move the puck that well. He didn't produce offensively at all basically. He was hurt being a LHS defensively. I would t mind keeping him at like 3x3 or even slightly more, but 4.5-5x5 is just a why too big commitment for him. It's UFA money, 3 decent Ds available and 31 GMa looking for Ds.

McD-Staal
Skjei-Holden
Bereglazov-DeAngelo

Hopefully Pionk can exceed expectations and come in and contribute.

That D would guarantee Hank being worn out half way through the season and probably shave off a year of his career where is is still good.

Very rarely are two rookie Dman making a lineup (playing on a regular basis at least), let alone paired together.

Staal playing his off side on the first pair? Bad news.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
The question on defense is where does D'Angelo fit, 2nd or 3rd pair? Bear gloves was signed with playing in mind. Have things changed now or is it still the plan? I think the Smith ship sailed with the trade.

I think Shattenkirk is a target, unless a right d is a target in a trade. I can't think of anything obvious. Like yzerman, chevldayoff is difficult with trades. He would demand sjkei for trouba.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
UA- I think would love to move Staal somehow and get McIlrath back...

Dutch- We normally run a pair with easy usage, pretty sure DeAngelo will get those minutes and Skjei will get tougher match-ups. Or will we consider pairing Skjei with DeAngelo? Or pairing him with McD? Bereglazov would be good in that role. I like that pairing.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The question on defense is where does D'Angelo fit, 2nd or 3rd pair? Bear gloves was signed with playing in mind. Have things changed now or is it still the plan? I think the Smith ship sailed with the trade.

I think Shattenkirk is a target, unless a right d is a target in a trade. I can't think of anything obvious. Like yzerman, chevldayoff is difficult with trades. He would demand sjkei for trouba.

He isn't difficult. He is an absolute moron.

I don't think Shattenkirk is the target. DeAngelo serves the exact same purpose as Shattenkirk. I think we sign Smith and that is it.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY

yeah shatty is def their target, but smith would be wiser move.. biggest question mark is we need to add two centers.. idk how we're going to do that..

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
One vet signing and we have a team. Add a Nieves back-up unless he isn't ready or can't stay healthy.

Say we give Pat Sharp a 4.5m one year deal. RHS, clutch, good on FOs, good on the PP. Justin Williams?

This team could play, although I would love to replace Staal with say a McIlrath:
Kreider-Zib-Buch
Nash-Hayes-Zucc
Grabner-Miller-Sharp
Vesey-Nieves-Fast
McD-(Staal)
Skjei-Holden
Bereglazov-DeAngelo

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Smith played a steady and solid game. He plays a complimentary game that will support and allow Brady Skjei to be the PMD he is developing into. He moves the puck well enough not to be a liability. I'd bring him back easily.

I know they signed Bear Gloves, but he's never laced up an NHL skate, to pencil him in as a guarantee is premature. Same as Poink.

I think Smith and Shatty are signed, and Staal is moved.

I believe that Graves will also push for a spot on the pro roster as well.

McD - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Smith
Third pair will be some combo of Holden, Graves, DeAngelo, Bereglazov, Poink.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I will puke if we sign both Smith and Shatty when we have kids like Bereglazov and DeAngelo ready to play.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Ola, you can't field a D with Staal playing his off side on the first pair and Holden playing second pair.

On top of that two rookies paired together on the third.

Lindqvist will either be worn out half way through the season due to fielding 30+ shots a night or get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad