Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXIII:Stepping up next? A Top Ten pick???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I know offer sheets don't happen much in the NHL, but for ***** and giggles, we got a ton of cap space, could create more by shedding some more guys.. Would Edmonton match a Drasitil offer sheet at 8 years 88M?

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Honestly, I can easily see the rangers signing both shatty and smith. It doesn't seem very difficult to shed both Holden and Klein to free their money up directly for smith. At least that seems like the most obvious moves to me.

I'm also in the camp that if you can't obtain a top center realistically, then it wouldn't be terrible to sign Thornton if you get him on a year deal. At that point there really isn't any risk.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I know offer sheets don't happen much in the NHL, but for ***** and giggles, we got a ton of cap space, could create more by shedding some more guys.. Would Edmonton match a Drasitil offer sheet at 8 years 88M?

lol offersheet Drai and sign every rfa we have for the next 10 years before july 1st so Edm cant offersheet any of our players in the future

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Nothing wrong with Thornton on a one year year.

Savant even if Thorton wasn't coming off a torn ACL and MCL do you really think he'd sign here in NY for just one year? There is no way on gods green earth he'd come here for just one year. If anything, he'd go back to San Jose on a one year "prove it" deal . Thornton would want at least 2 if not 3 years like Eric Staal got from Minny to come here. And I firmly believe it would be a recipe for disaster to pay him for multiple years.

I think it's a pipe dream that we ever will entertain the thought of acquiring Thornton especially coming off the injury he had. He just doesn't fit in with what Gorton is trying to accomplish here and the kinds of players he likes.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You cant' really compare it to letting Yandle walk, when the Rangers already had Mcdonagh and Staal (whatever) ahead of him on the left side, there's nobody on the right side that would be ahead of Shattenkirk, not the same situation, nowhere near it.

Thats not the point.

The Rangers were spooked by the term that Yandle required (7 years.) Thats what Shattenkirk is shooting for and I bet he gets it. Unless he decides that he really, really wants to play here and will take a 4 year deal, I don't see the Rangers signing him.

A team like Buffalo makes a ton of sense for him and he makes just as much sense for Buffalo.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Thats not the point.

The Rangers were spooked by the term that Yandle required (7 years.) Thats what Shattenkirk is shooting for and I bet he gets it. Unless he decides that he really, really wants to play here and will take a 4 year deal, I don't see the Rangers signing him.

A team like Buffalo makes a ton of sense for him and he makes just as much sense for Buffalo.

Who is to say that term had nothing to do with already have Ryan Mcdonagh and Brady Skjei in the system on the left side?.. The left side is a strength for the Rangers, they weren't going to commit 7 years to another LHD.

We will see..

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Savant even if Thorton wasn't coming off a torn ACL and MCL do you really think he'd sign here in NY for just one year? There is no way on gods green earth he'd come here for just one year. If anything, he'd go back to San Jose on a one year "prove it" deal . Thornton would want at least 2 if not 3 years like Eric Staal got from Minny to come here. And I firmly believe it would be a recipe for disaster to pay him for multiple years.

I think it's a pipe dream that we ever will entertain the thought of acquiring Thornton especially coming off the injury he had. He just doesn't fit in with what Gorton is trying to accomplish here and the kinds of players he likes.

I don't know, Thornton just made the finals for the first time in his career last year. The guy has money and has been the leader of a franchise for many years already. He gave his all to San Jose.. If he truly wants to win the cup, one year deals are the way to go.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Thats not the point.

I think people underestimate how bad he wants to play here.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
How much $ do you think Bonino gets on the open market? I would love Bonino but someone is going to offer stupid money.

I'm not a bean counter type by any means but from what I've seen of GMJG, he doesn't just throw money out there like Sather did. I think a 3.5 for 4 deal for Bonino is not out of the question. And I think we all could live with that...don't you? Bonino's cap hit was 1.9 last year. I don't think he can go too crazy with his demands on the open market even if he'd be a nice addition

If Bonino wants crazy #'s like 5 for 5 or even 4.5 for 4...no ****ing way....someone else can have him. I'd like to think Bonino would want to come here and play with an uber talented club like we have and be in NY. If not, well than we move on and see what Hanzel wants. I'd be willing to go to 3.5 for 4 for him as well. I think both would be nice additions in particular Bonino.

Would you have any issues bringing in a Bonino at 3.5..3.75 for 4? That's about as high as I'd go and think Gorton won't go much higher than that either.

If worst comes to worst, I guess we go the Gagner route and maybe get him to sign for 2.5 for 3 and hope and pray Hayes can take the next step and be a decent #2 guy for us. Maybe he can lose 10 more pounds this year....lol

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I think people underestimate how bad he wants to play here.

I think letting Yandle go had a lot more to do with Mcdonagh as their 1 LHD already and Brady Skjei whom they were extremely high on as another LHD..

What RHD are they extremely high on? Deangelo? they might be, but you can't pair him with Mcdonagh over his last 2 years, he's in no way ready for that.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don't see how trading any more of the forwards for a defenseman makes any sense

Lindberg and Stepan gone in less than a week. You trade another forward (Kreider or Miller as Brooks was alluding too) for example, and now the forward depth that was a strength last year, is a weakness

They don't have the prospects ready yet to make that type of move

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I don't know, Thornton just made the finals for the first time in his career last year. The guy has money and has been the leader of a franchise for many years already. He gave his all to San Jose.. If he truly wants to win the cup, one year deals are the way to go.

And uproot his family to nyc? Doubt it, the guys got a life too. Nyr arent any more of a desirable place than san jose right now.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Thats not the point.

A couple differences. 1. Shattenkirk is 28 at the time of his FA, while Yandle was going to be 30. 2. We didn't have the cap room to sign Yandle or the roster spot.

Although I think you are probably right that we won't sign him. It's not that similar a scenario.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
What was the last time we signed anyone from outside North America and they opened the season with a slot? I think Berezgalov spends time in Hartford.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Just to offer another perspective with some of the doom and gloom, Rangers top 5 in goals last year and without a single trade or FA signing they could look like this

Kreider Zib Buch
Zucc Miller Nash
Vesey Hayes Grabner (Tkachyov!?!?)
Puempel Nieves Fast

Now obviously you downgrade in 2way play, same career faceoff % (although it might be skewed since Step has waaayyy more) obviously would be an adjustment shifting back to center for Miller. Honestly I still think the D is more important to address with this fwd group

Not the worst suggestion I've seen seeing I totally agree that fixing the backend is and should be GMJG's major priority this offseason. We get Shatty and re-sign Smith, we are improved no matter if Stepan is replaced by either an UFA Center or a by trade. But IMO if we want to have a shot at even competing for a Cup, we need to add at worst a Bonino or Hanzel type center. I say no to Thornton as I've said due to my concerns with his injuries he suffered, his age and how much money he'd command.

But still, your idea of going with what we got at center and just improving our back end which is an absolute must and which would help Hank, is not totally out of the question.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
What was the last time we signed anyone from outside North America and they opened the season with a slot? I think Berezgalov spends time in Hartford.

He played on the top defensive pairing for the team that won the KHL championship this past season

He's not coming to America to play in an inferior league (AHL)

He will be on the opening night roster for sure

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I also think people underestimate how badly he wants to get paid.

This will be his last contract. He is going to cash in.

and rightfully so... but if say some west cost team offered him 7 years 42M..

and the Rangers offered him 6 years 36M...

Yeah its an additional 6M overall, but if he wants to be a Ranger, he might take that 1M less per year..

that's the thought anyway

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Why the **** would we sign Thornton and trade assets for Kovalchuk if we aren't going to sign Shattenkirk? On top of that we have to trade Kreider or Miller for a "top-pairing" defenseman.Great idea Larry.

Totally agree with you DB...it makes no sense.

I like Larry and have read his **** for decades. But sometimes it appears to me as if he's not truly in touch with reality and just say **** for the sake of saying **** to maybe cause some controversy or maybe get people thinking about him...lol

I don't know what it is but his suggestion here is ridiculous and makes no sense whatsoever.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The thought of Hayes or Miller right now as my #2 is frightening.

it is, but one thing to consider, Hayes deal is up after this season, Rangers might want to commit more ice time to him and use this season again as more of a transition year tos ee what he can do with more ice time and better linemates before they judge what to do with him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
DanielBrassard said:
A couple differences. 1. Shattenkirk is 28 at the time of his FA, while Yandle was going to be 30. 2. We didn't have the cap room to sign Yandle or the roster spot.

Although I think you are probably right that we won't sign him. It's not that similar a scenario.

This is true, but I'm pretty sure the Rangers learned their lesson on long term 3rd contracts for D. This has been echoed by 2 different people.

Buchnevich?

Unless you mean UDFA? Then I have no clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad