Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXIII:Stepping up next? A Top Ten pick???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Here's my question, apparently the Rangers had the same offer on the table for Stepan before the expansion draft if they were going to do it anyway, why didn't they make it and then we could have protected Lindberg?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
19239619_10213555385738192_1252202770_n.png

Please help me here Lundy. What are you trying to say and prove here? I'm not following...thx in advance bro.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He played on the top defensive pairing for the team that won the KHL championship this past season

He's not coming to America to play in an inferior league (AHL)

He will be on the opening night roster for sure

And Bereglazov has an out clause in his contract that lets him go back to Europe/KHL if he's not in the NHL.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Here's my question, apparently the Rangers had the same offer on the table for Stepan before the expansion draft if they were going to do it anyway, why didn't they make it and then we could have protected Lindberg?

where did you see this confirmed?

I wonder if they thought they could get a better deal after the expansion draft

And Bereglazov has an out clause in his contract that lets him go back to Europe/KHL if he's not in the NHL.

Yup that too

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
it is, but one thing to consider, Hayes deal is up after this season, Rangers might want to commit more ice time to him and use this season again as more of a transition year tos ee what he can do with more ice time and better linemates before they judge what to do with him.

Maybe ... but you're then just crapping on Hank again. I would rather have a legit #1 and let the rest of the guys fight for ice time with their play.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Please help me here Lundy. What are you trying to say and prove here? I'm not following...thx in advance bro.

that if people think Shattenkirk is at best a "2nd pairing dman" so is Mcdonagh because Shattenkirk is actually better than him in most of the important stats for a defenseman.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I don't think that will be the selling price for Matt. He's not MacKinnon, that's someone you move a big piece for. Matt is worth 2 really good prospects and a pick.

If we use your evaluation process, I'm not sure even if Sakic would go for this, giving up a Graves, Andersson and a #1 2018 pick for Duchene does us any good when we can get a Bonino for hopefully less than $4 mill over 4 years and keep Graves, Andersson and our 2018 pick...you follow?

Sakic is being an ass as you have stated a few time. I don't think Gorton is going to acquiesce to Sakic's demands at all.

Unless something out of the blue occurs, the only way I see us getting a #2/#3 center is thru FA and not on the trade market.

A guy I'd like to have and not sure he's gettable would be a Bryan Little. He'd likely take less to get from Winnipeg than what Sakic want's for Duchene and Little would be a hell of a nice addition to our team. He's as underrated as any player in the NHL....what do you think of adding Little?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
that if people think Shattenkirk is at best a "2nd pairing dman" so is Mcdonagh because Shattenkirk is actually better than him in most of the important stats for a defenseman.

Hes not.

I think he gets too much hate because of the type of D that he is (for some reason, all offensive D have the label that they suck at defense, Karlsson included) but he is not better than McDonagh.

McDonagh has also been required to carry around the corpse of Girardi for the last few years. They should have given him an award for that in Vegas last week.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
If we use your evaluation process, I'm not sure even if Sakic would go for this, giving up a Graves, Andersson and a #1 2018 pick for Duchene does us any good when we can get a Bonino for hopefully less than $4 mill over 4 years and keep Graves, Andersson and our 2018 pick...you follow?

Sakic is being an ass as you have stated a few time. I don't think Gorton is going to acquiesce to Sakic's demands at all.

Unless something out of the blue occurs, the only way I see us getting a #2/#3 center is thru FA and not on the trade market.

A guy I'd like to have and not sure he's gettable would be a Bryan Little. He'd likely take less to get from Winnipeg than what Sakic want's for Duchene and Little would be a hell of a nice addition to our team. He's as underrated as any player in the NHL....what do you think of adding Little?

LOL You and Bonino, you really do have a thing for the guy. I am not giving Bonino a 4 year deal. Graves + one our prospects and a 2019 pick is FAIR for Matt. I'd do that deal right now.

Depends on the asking price, he only has a year left on his deal and he's basically Stepan 2.0 so I would give WPG a pick and that's it. Don't think they do that, maybe at the TDL when they are out of it?

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Hes not.

I think he gets too much hate because of the type of D that he is (for some reason, all offensive D have the label that they suck at defense, Karlsson included) but he is not better than McDonagh.

McDonagh has also been required to carry around the corpse of Girardi for the last few years. They should have given him an award for that in Vegas last week.

I will say, it would be fun to watch Mac with a legit pairing.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Hes not.

by those stats he is.. Your point about Mcdonagh playing with Girardi holding him down is valid and I agree.. wasn't a knock on Mcdonagh, it was just showing Shattenkirk is much better than some give him credit for.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There is a reason he move available than all of those as well.

I wouldn't touch Galchenyuk. I might look at Reinhart but I would want Buffalo to add.

Buffalo may want to get quicker into contention to make Eichel happy, and probably have the worst LHD depth in the league.

Reinhart + 2018 1st for McDonagh I consider.
IMO they want and will pay for McD, but they do not want a 2 yr rental
it has to be a package that gives them a younger piece
-----------------
the last variant I had here was
McD at half [avoids taking back bad contract] + Zuc + 21OA
for
SReinhart + EKane + 8OA
2 conditional 4ths, 1 each for McD and Zuc, if either is not extending

that value has changed b'c Rein as an ELC was draft exempt, no longer applicable

I don't see how trading any more of the forwards for a defenseman makes any sense

Lindberg and Stepan gone in less than a week. You trade another forward (Kreider or Miller as Brooks was alluding too) for example, and now the forward depth that was a strength last year, is a weakness

They don't have the prospects ready yet to make that type of move

Larry is officially brain dead:help::help::help:

it is, but one thing to consider, Hayes deal is up after this season, Rangers might want to commit more ice time to him and use this season again as more of a transition year tos ee what he can do with more ice time and better linemates before they judge what to do with him.

whatever we do w/Hayes long term, the smart move is to extend him, Miller and Zib for max term, volume discount driving down annual price.

we move Nash and in 2 ? yrs repurpose Hank for adds

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyone else suspecting that they intend to run:

Zibanejad
Hayes
Andersson
Nieves

Down the middle? Maybe with a fringe UFA or two to compete for the bottom six role in camp?

I'd be okay with this, as long as they sign a bottom 6 C who can play either 3C or 4C who can compete with those last two C's for minutes. I'm not sure both Andersson and Nieves are ready. Gotta prepare for at least one not being ready.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Maybe that would have complicated who AZ protected?

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Best guess. Andersson 1-2 years. Chytil 2-3 years. Don't know enough about anyone else.

I wrote this in another thread but Andersson, Chytil, Reedy and Sjalin would have gotten an A grade from me, and it was in their laps to happen. Now I probably grade draft C+ maybe a B- for wasting too many picks in overagers.

Oh ok, I see what you mean.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
LOL You and Bonino, you really do have a thing for the guy. I am not giving Bonino a 4 year deal. Graves + one our prospects and a 2019 pick is FAIR for Matt. I'd do that deal right now.

Depends on the asking price, he only has a year left on his deal and he's basically Stepan 2.0 so I would give WPG a pick and that's it. Don't think they do that, maybe at the TDL when they are out of it?

First off I don't think Sakic would even take what I proposed for Duchene...he'd likely want more. Instead of Andersson for example, he'd probably want Buch included and I aint going there.

Winnipeg likely would want more than just a pick for Little unfortunatly for us. It wouldn't be as steep as what we'd need to give up for Duchene but you gotta figure Cheveldayoff would want more than just a pick even if it was a 2018 #1 which likely would be a late one. He'd likely want a player that can help him this year and a a pick. I think we'd be talking an Andersson and the pick. Not sure I'd be willing to di that for Little who I like quite a bit.

I don't know. I think our best bet as I've said infinitum, is we need to keep our assets and get our Stepan replacement in UFA. And yes tho Bonino isn't sexy and yes I have a bit of a man crush on him, I'd think a 3.5 for 4 deal for him makes sense.

I wish I knew what Gorton is going to do but I don't nor does any of us. What I do know is that July 1 is going to be fascinating to observe....can't wait.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Am I the only one who's less concerned about Andersson being able to play in the NHL next season as Nieves? Andersson had a slightly better PPG average in a better league with a smaller role. He's also not coming off such an injury riddled year. He's also not such a limited player like Nieves is? I have more confidence in a 7OA pick making improvements than a guy who is probably a low level NHL'er if he even sticks.

And if Andersson isn't ready, don't rush him. Give him a chance in camp to take 3C, but no less than a third line role. If he's not going to be top 9, he's gotta go back.

But we might need another two C's. I guess you could put Miller at center, but even then, we need another center.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
unless the Rangers are rebuilding I really think another good center is coming, who I have no idea.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Staal to Florida or Dallas?

Bereglazov starts on the 3rd pair
Sign both Shattenkirk and Smith

McDonagh Shattenkirk
Skjei Smith
Bereglazov DeAngelo

Miller Zibanejad Buch
Kreider Hanzal Zucc