Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXII: Draft Day in Chicago - My Kinda Town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
People are against Shattenkirk because he has a (false) reputation of being bad defensively and they are irrationally shook of long term deals after what's happened with Girardi and Staal (not including Redden as that was considered terrible from the getgo and he was already on a steep decline).

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Idk how anyone can sit there and say 'yeah fair deal' when it comes out that Chayka was begging for Stepan for a year. And we included Raanta. Thats pathetic.

The value is pretty close to fair in a vacuum. The problem is we now know he wanted him bad and most of us didn't want to move him for anything less than an overpayment. Which this is not.

Now it's time to hope we draft well and our mystery boxes turn out to be boats.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Are the Rangers winning with Shattenkirk on this team?

What's the point?

I think the turnaround will take less time than others, and Shattenkirk will continue to be a productive player into his thirties. I also don't think this team will be bad enough to draft in the lottery any time soon. It's an opportunity to get a very good (not great, but very good) player without spending assets. Just don't kill the AAV, and I'm good with it. :dunno:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Puck possession and offense starts with the defense out.

And as much as I dont like moving Stepan, DeAngelo will hopefully help that. Shattenkirk would too. So yes I can see this team being competitive.

Bring Thornton in on a 1 year deal while tonights draft pick develops

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I can see more deals going down between now and the start of camp.

Who knows they could make a short term move and sign Thornton for 1 year and sign Shattenkirk/Smith as well as a #4 center and the team is better then last season.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This seems to me like they caved under the pressure of the Stepan NTC kicking in soon and wanted to be absolutely sure they had the cap space to be competitive in the Shattenkirk bidding. That's not the worst approach in the world since I was worried they would bank on Shattenkirk taking a home town discount.
bingo, and the caving was fully in order since we asked a premium above and beyond for a player whose talents did not command that level of return.
we were fortunate, IMO, that AZ was a fit.
Would have been nice to get more, but 7OA for Stepan IS fair.
Raanta worth more than Deangelo in a vacuum, but fine

Desperately need a two way center now.
No
We do not DESPERATELY need 2wayC
Miller in pivot and Hayes, both better than you think

No way we end this without a center. Who do we dangle the #7 for... Galchenyuk? Duchene?
Pls.
**** forgot about Gally..... Perhaps the #21 + an add for Gally? I'd be game for it!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
WE do NOT 'dangle' the 7th
build

can do
McD + Zuc + 21
for
SReinhart + EKane + 8

flip EKane + for Gally + for Duchene +
Canadiens desperate for size, not happy w/Gally, take Kane
Avalanche can take gally as core payment vs Duchene
since we are basically parlaying this off EKane, any reasonable +/-s notwithstanding, then seeing what we get out of Duke for a year before parlaying him is the play

I also assume this means Zibanejad is signing long term. I'm talking like 7-8 years long term
If he gives us a volume discount for max years, sure.
But no friggin NMCs. Generous NTCs that are not crippling, and reasonable, we can work with. But no concession beyond that.
Player doesn't like THAT, and wants to be unreasonable, too effin bad

This team cannot go into next year with Hayes as the 2. Something is coming. Hayes' postseason was scary bad.
Open your eyes.
Kid works hard, continues to improve
Has enough physical tools, he will be fine, esp if we can muzzle AV to any extent.

i really need to take Stepan's advice right now and relax, because I'm really not liking the value we got from this trade.
our center depth opening night is?
1. Nieves
2. Zbad
3. Hayes
4. Hayes again?

Funny.
as I noted, which was and remains correct, that IS fair for Nieves IF, AND ONLY IF, Mack is acquired by NYR and bookended w/Kreider, and they happen to have chemistry w/ the kid.

Maybe we can get Lindy back, but in any event, Nieves at 4 is fine, and Zbad Miller Hayes + who we pick up will be fine

If you didn't see that Stepan is a terrible skater, has no hands and was indeed trending downward all while being extremely over paid for his talent, I don't know what to tel you.
bernmeister. vindicated.:yo::yo::handclap::handclap::yo::yo::handclap::handclap:

If Miller can competently play center, I think we are fine with a Zibanejad, Miller, Hayes top 3.
now yer talkin

The trade had nothing to do with Henrik. Gorton and co. are very worried that Stepan is declining already. They wanted to move him before the NTC kicks in. THey almost moved him last summer. They even listened to offers for him at the trade deadline this year.
And that people were not overpaying for him then, what does that tell ya?

It seems more popular with pundits and neutrals than it does here. Is it a case of us overvaluing Stepan?
Yes.

Whatever. This franchise is not winning a Cup until we get an actual top line franchise center. This trade is JG acknowledging that and putting us in the best position to find one at 7.
correctimindo

At this moment, I don't see Smith being brought back
That is, of course, you make the assumption that Shattenkirk is all but confirmed
They wouldn't trade for DeAngelo if they thought he was going to be in the AHL.
Bereglazov will be on the team next year
Don't see where Smith fits, unless Staal is moved

We paid a 2nd and a 3rd for him.
I don't want to lose him for nothing

3 years, slightly overpay, ability to move in trade down the road, recover assets then, hopefully profit

I have this odd feeling they're going to move McDonagh.
I am w/RB we SHOULD move him before we have to deal w/renewal at upwards of 8m per.
Worth more now than later.
Don't give away, but right deal, don't hesitate.

Keep Nash at this point. Start the season with him and trade him at the deadline.
The next move should be trade Staal.
Worth more now than later.
also, want to avoid risk of injury.

Just saw someone (jokingly) say on twitter
Maybe Gorton is trying to offersheet Draisaitl haha
THAT WOULD ACTUALLY BE A GREAT IDEA!!!!

Kreider-Drai-Zib
on the same line!
dangerous

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Puck possession and offense starts with the defense out.

And as much as I dont like moving Stepan, DeAngelo will hopefully help that. Shattenkirk would too. So yes I can see this team being competitive.

Bring Thornton in on a 1 year deal while tonights draft pick develops

Thornton isn't coming here. He's set up in SJ. He's not moving his family 3000 miles for a 1 year deal here. Plus, he won't be ready for the start of the season due to getting both knees cut.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think the turnaround will take less time than others, and Shattenkirk will continue to be a productive player into his thirties. I also don't think this team will be bad enough to draft in the lottery any time soon. It's an opportunity to get a very good (not great, but very good) player without spending assets. Just don't kill the AAV, and I'm good with it. :dunno:

Everyone who misses the playoffs is in the lottery now. Look at the top 3 this year, Philly and Dallas both jumped up significantly.

It is not a stretch to say that this team will miss the playoffs with this move and that is okay. We've seen a bunch of teams fall out of contention for a year or 2 only to re-tool and get right back into the thick of things (Tampa and Anaheim being the most recent examples.)

I'm totally behind unloading people in the old core and trying to build something new but unloading good players so we can spend the open cap space on guys like KS is something I can't get behind.

Hopefully JG has picked a direction and sticks with it for a little bit. We're not in a horrible spot here unless he gets really stupid.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
I would say this clearly means Holden will be traded.

I'd move the 21st for Galchenyuk

And then try and sign Thornton to a 1 year deal :nod:

21st + Holden + for Galchenyuk
Sign Thornton
Sign Shattenkirk

Nash-Zib-Buch
Kreider-Thornton-Zucc
Miller-Hayes-Galchenyuk
Grabner-xxx-Fast/Vesey

or without Thornton

Nash-Zib-Buch
Kreider-Galchenyuk-Zucc
Miller-Hayes-Grabner
Vesey-xxx-Fast

and

McD-Shatty
Skjei-Smith
Staal-DeAngelo
Beregalzov

Hank
xxx

Not bad.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Thornton isn't coming here. He's set up in SJ. He's not moving his family 3000 miles for a 1 year deal here. Plus, he won't be ready for the start of the season due to getting both knees cut.

Do you know him personally?

Him and Nash are best friends.

He is the perfect stopgap option.

So he starts the year on LTIR.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
People are against Shattenkirk because he has a (false) reputation of being bad defensively and they are irrationally shook of long term deals after what's happened with Girardi and Staal (not including Redden as that was considered terrible from the getgo and he was already on a steep decline).

I think everyone is polarized on Shattenkirk for good reason. I understand his upsides but let me list some of his downsides:
-Poor Defensively
-Playoff performance
-Contract Demands
Look around the league who is getting long contracts and who is getting them from their own team. There is a reason why hes getting to free agency. Hes not a top pair guy and as far as i am concerned Deangelo top his spot on the second pair

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Is it a step back to move forward? Clearly Gorton wanted to do something like this last offseason, but wasn't willing to bite the bullet and buyout Girardi and trade Stepan. Moves Brassard instead in a better deal.

The 2018-19 Rangers will likely have two 25-26 year old (Hayes and Zib) and one 19-20 year old centers on their roster. I don't think they are taking defense and there is no winger at #7 that would be worth the investment.

They're setting themselves up for the future centerpiece of the team. They have some guys now who will be here. Skjei, Buch, Vesey, Miller, Zibanejad. This offseason alone they've add Pionk, DeAngelo, and Bereglazov to that group. They're missing a top center to add to that wave. This #7 pick is very very likely to be that player.

Suzuki, Middlestadt, Vilardi, Pettersson, Glass. I believe that one of those players will be in our system in 5 hours. They will be the player that we'd be hanging hopes to winning a cup anytime soon.

This quote speaks volumes. This trade was not for 2017-18. It was for beyond that. This front office has a vision for this team for the future, one it hasn't had for the past 5 years.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I think everyone is polarized on Shattenkirk for good reason. I understand his upsides but let me list some of his downsides:
-Poor Defensively
-Playoff performance
-Contract Demands
Look around the league who is getting long contracts and who is getting them from their own team. There is a reason why hes getting to free agency. Hes not a top pair guy and as far as i am concerned Deangelo top his spot on the second pair

But he's not poor defensively. That's the thing. There's nothing to point to in agreement with it other than an appeal to authority.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There was nothing fair about that.

We gave them a 2C at 27 years old with loads of playoff experience and potentially their starting goalie.

Stop with this fair value ********

There was a false assumption that it was okay to keep this guy with his restrictive clause.

Also, BEST case scenario, he was worth 20th best 1C, with zippo hope of improving/potential.

As I have said for years, going back to when I wanted to do
Stepan + Staal + Girardi
for
Hall + picks

Stepan is what he is, but he is worth more to us in return than what his actual production is.

And have faith.
GMJG got us Hags 6th round.
He is the key brain on the picks
not Slats

he'll make the best pick, I hope and believe, in totality of circumstances, with our picks, esp now that we have a bit better picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad