Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20: Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Yeah that's just not realistic. If you don't think teams are aware of Trouba's play and then couple that with the Rangers making him available for trade less than a year into his long term contract you're living in fantasy land.

Also fantasy land - Thinking the Rangers are exploring trading Trouba.
Why does any trade ever happen? Because one team values what another team has more than the other team. If every trade or even most trades were lemons, very few if any would ever happen.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
To be fair @Edge the LA Kings had one top 5 overall pick on their Stanley Cup winning rosters that they drafted. I think one top 10 period. Drew Doughty.

But that is why we discuss so many different approaches here.

I get that.

It's just weird to read people make it sound like we've been through some long trek through hell where we've abandoned all hope and loaded up on top 5 picks.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I'd probably be inclined, if possible, to do something like:

Kreider @ 50% for Heinen + Frederic + BOS 1st
Skjei for Tuch + LV 1st
Buch (RFA) + Georgiev + BOS 1st for Nurse (RFA)

If those scenario's were possible/plausible. I realize some will need to be massaged but that general line of thinking
Like these thoughts... but
A bit too rich for Nurse IMO. Keane/Hajek, Fast and Bostons 1st maybe instead ?

Would leave us with:
Buch - Zib - Kravtsov
Panarin - Strome - Tuch
Lemmy - Chytil - Kakko
Smith/Gettinger/Bellesky - Fredric - Heinen

Nurse - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
Staal - ADA
Rykov

Shesty
Hank

Buyout Staal in the offseason
Win the lottery - Draft Alexis Lafreniere as #1
Use Vegas 1st with another asset (Buch?) plus to upgrade to get another more dynamic Winger. The dream here would be Kaprizov. Doubt it is possible though...Move Kravstov down a bit
A more moderate pace for our younger players likely means a softer second contract too...
A top 12 next season with something close to this would be amazing:
Lafreniere - Zib - Kaprizov
Panarin - Strome - Tuch
Kravtsov - Chytil - Kakko
Lemmy - Fredric - Heinen

Last edited:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I dunno, a 24 year old Defenseman who is 5th among D in scoring?

That's pretty enticing.

I would think a 24 year old forward who is or projects to be in the top, say, 20 or 25 in scoring, is hardly an unfair ask.

I think the list of options for someone who is about DeAngelo's age who is also a top player is pretty limited

Just going through the list quickly based on production and age, (probably missing some) same birth year as ADA, Ehlers, Point, Nylander, Pasta, Echel, Connor, Larkin, Meier, Schmaltz.

Just not so sure those teams would rather not just go forward with those players or would not have some reservation about taking back DeAngelo given their market/location/investment in them/ etc

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I dont think anyone here is suggesting to abandon the rebuild @mschmidt64 .... I think some of us are following what JD/Gorton tend to be hinting at based on their moves and what they have said. When JD gave his first press conference, everyone analyzed every word he said, especially the anti-Panarin group. They said his words meant that they would not be adding him. Some said we wouldnt even be in on him. The Pro-Panarin group read it as them being interested in him and that they will do whats best to get better sooner rather than later. Someone else can dig up the quotes...

But JD was not abandoning the rebuild. They want to start steering the ship north. They are liking what they have and want to start adding to it with the right pieces along the way. Trouba. Fox. Panarin. Those were considered the right pieces and for the most part they have been.

To me abandoning the rebuild is when you start making lucrative trades that involve your 1st round picks and your top prospects. Trading those top prospects when you dont know what you have with some of them and you are not on the cusp of contending for the cup.

i think the ship moving at a good speed right now.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I get that.

It's just weird to read people make it sound like we've been through some long trek through hell where we've abandoned all hope and loaded up on top 5 picks.

I don't think people are impatient. Personally, I don't want to hang all my hopes on getting lucky and getting another top 3 pick. They were blessed last year, this franchise is too doomed to repeat that magic.

Reactions: RGY

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Like these thoughts... but
A bit too rich for Nurse IMO. Keane/Hajek, Fast and Bostons 1st maybe instead ?

Would leave us with:
?? - Zib - Buch
Panarin - Strome - Tuch
Kravtsov - Chytil - Kakko
Lemmy - Fredric - Heinen
Smith

Nurse - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
Staal - ADA
Rykov

Shesty
Hank

Buyout Staal in the offseason
Win the lottery - Draft Alexis Lafreniere as #1
Use Vegas 1st with another asset (Buch?) plus to upgrade to get another more dynamic Winger. The dream here would be Kaprizov. Doubt it is possible though...

@BBKers ..have you heard anything on trade front? TIA

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I constantly talk about exploring a trade, or I constantly talk about my hopes, wishes and dreams that we can get rid Trouba? It makes a difference.

I’ll wait for the quote.
Constantly talking about it, saying that it needs to be explored for the RETURN, consistently stating reasoning, feels like you know.....wishing it would occur

Reactions: Leetch3

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So for those that dont want Lindhom then they dont want Nurse? Age is close............Nurse gonna get paid next year as an RFA

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So for those that dont want Lindhom then they dont want Nurse? Age is close............Nurse gonna get paid next year as an RFA
The difference is, Nurse is an RFA at the end of this year at 25 years old. You can extend him for 6-7 years with the contract ending at age 32. Lindholm will be a UFA in 2 years at age 28. We are going to be giving him a 7 year contract at a high cap hit then? We would feel obligated to after trading draft picks and young assets for Lindholm because thats what ANA will want. EDM on the other hand may be more interested in someone like Buchnevich since they are competing now.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Should we also explore the trade value for Zib and Panarin?
There isn’t a window with either of those two where trade protections later kick in. Also- we don’t have the depth at either forward position that we do at RD. But that’s obvious.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'd probably be inclined, if possible, to do something like:

Kreider @ 50% for Heinen + Frederic + BOS 1st

Skjei for Tuch + LV 1st

Buch (RFA) + Georgiev + BOS 1st for Nurse (RFA)

If those scenario's were possible/plausible. I realize some will need to be massaged but that general line of thinking

would Vegas really do this? they are the type of team right now that pick could be 18-20ish or 28-31ish.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I get that.

I get what you're saying, but it's a bit unfair to put this on people just being irrationally impatient (thought some here definitely are).

They'll have gotten 3 top 10 picks since the letter (Lias was before, no?). Where they landed in the top 10 is based on luck and nothing to do with strategy. To me, you could look at the team, specifically forward, and say we don't have enough high end talent - we probably could use a couple more top picks, and i wouldn't argue with you there.

But management started the clock already. To me, once you go and spend 20m on Panarin and Trouba last off-season, you signal you feel you're nearing the end of your top 5 pick quest, not looking at 3 more years of it.

Reactions: belford22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad