Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20: Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I get what you're saying, but it's a bit unfair to put this on people just being irrationally impatient (thought some here definitely are).

They'll have gotten 3 top 10 picks since the letter (Lias was before, no?). Where they landed in the top 10 is based on luck and nothing to do with strategy. To me, you could look at the team, specifically forward, and say we don't have enough high end talent - we probably could use a couple more top picks, and i wouldn't argue with you there.

But management started the clock already. To me, once you go and spend 20m on Panarin and Trouba last off-season, you signal you feel you're nearing the end of your top 5 pick quest, not looking at 3 more years of it.

I also get that, which was my concern when we went down that path.

So now, what's done is done, and we're going to have be very strategic about how we use the assets we have.

But, that aside, this process has not been a very long one filled with boatloads of hopes and dreams pinned on exceptionally high draft picks. So when that narrative is floated, or even implied, I don't find it to be particularly accurate. Whether one wants to sign Kreider or trade him, I don't think he's the difference between progress and becoming the Edmonton Oilers. I think that's a stretch. He has enough value on his own without having to get carried away.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
To be fair @Edge the LA Kings had one top 5 overall pick on their Stanley Cup winning rosters that they drafted. I think one top 10 period. Drew Doughty.

But that is why we discuss so many different approaches here.
LA also had prime Jeff Carter fall into their laps because of Mike Richards and the state of Ohio being terrible

Reactions: RGY

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
LA is still one of the most bizarre teams to win a cup, let alone two. It almost looks like a mistake.

There was just this bizarre 3 year window where Quick was a guy who could get hot and really steal games, and they had just enough to win games, repeatedly, despite seldom actually looking like the better team.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I also get that, which was my concern when we went down that path.

So now, what's done is done, and we're going to have be very strategic about how we use the assets we have.

But, that aside, this process has not been a very long one filled with boatloads of hopes and dreams pinned on exceptionally high draft picks. So when that narrative is floated, or even implied, I don't find it to be particularly accurate. Whether one wants to sign Kreider or trade him, I don't think he's the difference between progress and becoming the Edmonton Oilers. I think that's a stretch. He has enough value on his own without having to get carried away.

No, definitely not the Oilers. It's not that we will end up the Oilers. I more fear we end up the perennial playoff but peak 2nd round team.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Kings were a strange team, yet they did have a stretch of drafts where they picked # 11, 11, 11, 4, 2, 5

Boston is more of an outlier yet they also had a string of drafts #5, 8, 16, 25, 2, 9 (hitting on Bergeron and Krejci in the 2nd round also helped a whole lot)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
No, definitely not the Oilers. It's not that we will end up the Oilers. I more fear we end up the perennial playoff but peak 2nd round team.

And to be honest, that's my fear.

I think we're going to need more ammo than we have, and less than we are likely to get unless we move a few more guys with high value.

I firmly believe that the next six months represent a vital a time period for this organization. I also believe that time will show that it's the decisions we make during this time period that dictate whether we evolve into an also ran, or whether we emerge as a serious, perennial cup contender.

Reactions: gravey9

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Well said, I do not expect them to trade Trouba, but there is reasoning behind it.

All in all the only thing I'd disagree with, future expensive UFAs who sign are likely to have clauses in their contracts from the get go, plus it's NYC, I don't really think it would effect their ability to sign players in the future.

Every RFA who signs away UFA years within that contract has to know they could be traded before any clause activates, from a business perspective if that does not cross their minds before signing away those years, that is sort of on them.
Ok but why do you wish Trouba would die?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Ok but why do you wish Trouba would die?

No, and I hope it all works out. I do think Trouba adds value, especially in the playoffs when match-ups can be more of a thing. And no I do not believe they will trade Trouba anytime soon.

Yet I also I foresee a plausible cap inefficiency where it will cause some issues somewhere else, likely they end up moving DeAngelo for something like 80 cents on the dollar at some point. Which ends up making for two inefficiencies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
And to be honest, that's my fear.

I think we're going to need more ammo than we have, and less than we are likely to get unless we move a few more guys with high value.

I firmly believe that the next six months represent a vital a time period for this organization. I also believe that time will show that it's the decisions we make during this time period that dictate whether we evolve into an also ran, or whether we emerge as a serious, perennial cup contender.

I am more positive. I think we are in a really fortunate situation in NY. Players really want to come here. The free agents like Zucc, Hayes, Vesey and Pionk. Vets like Shatty, Trouba, Panarin and so forth. A great work ethic off the ice which boost the performance of players. Resources to run a top notch organization. Many other things. The goalie development.

I think the key is to be able to accumulate assets and there doesn’t at all have to be a link between sucking a ton to get top picks and accumulating more assets that you lose y2y.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I am more positive. I think we are in a really fortunate situation in NY. Players really want to come here. The free agents like Zucc, Hayes, Vesey and Pionk. Vets like Shatty, Trouba, Panarin and so forth. A great work ethic off the ice which boost the performance of players. Resources to run a top notch organization. Many other things. The goalie development.

I think the key is to be able to accumulate assets and there doesn’t at all have to be a link between sucking a ton to get top picks and accumulating more assets that you lose y2y.

Ironically enough, when it comes to ammo, it's not so much about having a stockpile of prospects coming up every year, so much as it is tied to the belief that we are going to require some significant help from the outside --- including via trade.

So with the exception of getting another top young talent early in this draft, for me it's more about having more in savings that we can use when we pursue wingers, LDs, etc. I think we need a little more capital there, especially as we look to get guys into the fold who can have a more immediate impact

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Clicks = Traffic

Traffic = Revenue

Revenue = Employment

Employment = Not Homeless

Not Homeless = Not Freezing to Death on the Streets

Not Freezing to Death on the Streets = Clicks

Or he is like the rest of us and just thinks about getting laid...

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
LA is still one of the most bizarre teams to win a cup, let alone two. It almost looks like a mistake.

There was just this bizarre 3 year window where Quick was a guy who could get hot and really steal games, and they had just enough to win games, repeatedly, despite seldom actually looking like the better team.

They had scoring up and down the line up. 2 excellent center's, a handful of core and supplemental players.
Quick was VG. Plus they were big and physical.

They were made for the post season

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
They had scoring up and down the line up. 2 excellent center's, a handful of core and supplemental players.
Quick was VG. Plus they were big and physical.

They were made for the post season
They had their fair share of lucky bounces and breaks against us. But it is what it is.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
A different way of looking at things...

IMO, the Rangers have 11 pieces I see as being viable pieces of a playoff core going forward; Mika Zibanajad, Igor Sherstykin, Jacob Trouba, Artemi Panarin, Adam Fox, Chris Kreider, Filip Chytill, Tony D'Angelo, Brendan Lemieux, Kappo Kaako, Ryan Lindgren. 7 of the 11 are young players who still have significant runway in their development curve. Every one of these players is very capable of being a contributor on a very good team.

If you are going to subtract a piece from the core, you need to replace them with a player(s) that become part of the core. I want any trades from this point forward to bring back players, preferable young NHL pieces or players ready to move into the league. Not long term futures.

The trick is to add 4-5 more pieces, preferable some with long development runways. We have some players on our current roster (e. g. Buchnevich) who may move into this group. We already have some of those players in our system and we have others who may be monetized to acquire additional players.

Bottom line, if players on the team continue to develop, we are not bad off at all. Maybe better than we even realize.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
GgIsX2R.jpg

What a stud

Also, look how surprisingly good his English is lol

Blue Men Group

Apr 29, 2019
Kings were a strange team, yet they did have a stretch of drafts where they picked # 11, 11, 11, 4, 2, 5

Boston is more of an outlier yet they also had a string of drafts #5, 8, 16, 25, 2, 9 (hitting on Bergeron and Krejci in the 2nd round also helped a whole lot)

And that #25 pick for Boston turned out OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad