Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20: Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
This is a great point. I think people here get too caught up on windows, ages, worrying about draft position and trying to build the perfect team at just the right time, when you should be trying to build the right team. Finding the right mix of guys and personalities that compliment each other. You can have all the top five picks you want, if they don't work together all you have is a very expensive roster.
This.

I can give you a list of teams that have had this happen.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
So a little clarification on Hanks cap hit?
next year cap hit 8.5 if he is on roster
If we do a buyout... cap hit next year 4.5
following year 1.5?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You don’t like it when people disagree with you. You call them patronizing and condescending. I remember you were arguing with someone a few months ago and you said their opinion doesn’t count because it’s in the minority.
You remember me arguing with someone RB??? Wow look at you...what should we give him folks? A medal? Let’s call it the slightly obsessed medal since you remember everything I seemingly post. I mean at this point I am not even offended that you do, says more about you than me.

But I got news for you man, its an internet message board centered around sports with some of the most passionate fans, arguing is going to happen from time to time.

Lastly, I never ever say their opinion doesn’t count. Sure I may say someone’s opinion is in the minority to make my point when debating with someone on a particular subject. I dont tell them they are wrong or that they dont know what they are talking about. No one on this board knows more than anyone else other than a very select few such as @Edge. Respect is provided where it is due.

LGR

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You know for all the pushback about approaches that emphasis acquiring top 5 picks, as of right now, through this whole process, through all competing thoughts about approaches and comparisons to teams that been stuck in neutral for a decade, the grand total number of top 5 picks this team has had since "the letter" is....

[Drum Roll]

One.

That's right.

One

And that was only after winning the lottery.

Andersson was a 7th overall pick acquired in a trade before the letter.

Kravtsov was taken 9th.

Right now the Rangers are slated to pick no higher than 7th.

So while I appreciate the approach that building a team is about more than having top 5 picks, let's not pretend that's a path we've gone down.

We've been at it for less time than it takes a child to be conceived, brought in the world, and taught to shit in a potty. It's a little premature to talk about vast wastelands of a playoff drought that forever haunts a generation of fans.

Jesus, some perspective here guys. :laugh:;)

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think the Rangers will be able to get back similar value for DeAngelo.

I just am not sure any team out there takes the risk that he'd fit into their dynamic whereas the Rangers have already seem to have figured that part out.

Prior to Nylander in Toronto doing what he has this year, I'd would have figured maybe something like that could be the basis for a trade yet now it's difficult for me to think of any young top end NHL forwards a team is going to be comfortable moving for DeAngelo.

Reactions: Avery16

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Nothing about saying a trade should be explored suggests anything like what you’re saying it does. A player can be good, can improve a team, and still get moved for a return that improves the team even more.
For what reason would the Rangers trade a player a year into a contract that they tried to get for years and then signed to a 7 year/8 mill contract? How do you fail to see that other teams would see that as a huge red flag?

A Trouba trade isn't going to be explored.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
You know for all the pushback about approaches that emphasis acquiring top 5 picks, as of right now, through this whole process, through all competing thoughts about approaches and comparisons to teams that been stuck in neutral for a decade, the grand total number of top 5 picks this team has had since "the letter" is....

[Drum Roll]

One.

That's right.

One

Kravtsov was taken 9th.

So while I appreciate the approach that building a team is about more than having top 5 picks, let's no pretend that's a path we've gone down.

We've been at it for less time than it takes a child to be conceived, brought in the world and taught to **** in a potty. It's a little premature to talk about vast wastelands of a playoff drought that forever haunts a generation of fans.

Everyone said "This is gonna take patience," when the letter went out.

And two years later.... TWO YEARS.... we are saying the rebuild should be over. Can't risk damaging the franchise!

There is no risk.

Hopefully Gorton is not pressured to make moves designed around getting to the playoffs next year.

We are still in talent acquisition mode, at least at forward. Look at how Andersson flamed out. That's how easily some of these guys can wash out or not be what we expected.

Need more talent at forward still. Simple as that. And Kreider is simply not a needle-mover. He's a complimentary piece.

Trade him if he in any way hinders acquisition of true top line talent.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
For what reason would the Rangers trade a player a year into a contract that they tried to get for years and then signed to a 7 year/8 mill contract? How do you fail to see that other teams would see that as a huge red flag?

A Trouba trade isn't going to be explored.
FOR THE RETURN

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I don't think the Rangers will be able to get back similar value for DeAngelo.

I just am not sure any team out there takes the risk that he'd fit into their dynamic whereas the Rangers have already seem to have figured that part out.

Prior to Nylander in Toronto doing what he has this year, I'd would have figured maybe something like that could be the basis for a trade yet now it's difficult for me to think of any young top end NHL forwards a team is going to be comfortable moving for DeAngelo.

I dunno, a 24 year old Defenseman who is 5th among D in scoring?

That's pretty enticing.

I would think a 24 year old forward who is or projects to be in the top, say, 20 or 25 in scoring, is hardly an unfair ask. I think Nylander is pretty much an exact value match. Uncertainty as to whether he's a true top line player or #1 C, but any worse of a player than that you are in Sam Reinhart or Jake Guentzel range (no thanks, I'll keep DeAngelo), but any better than that you are in Sebastien Aho/Mitch Marner/Aleksander Barkov territory (essentially untouchable).

Last edited:
Reactions: apoptygma

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Red Flags = You're not getting the return
Other teams are capable of scouting someone like Trouba, for f***s sake. Our cap situation, the fact that ADA is a pending RFA owed a big contract, the fact that he and Fox are playing really well is all public knowledge. No team is going to assume that since we’re willing to move Trouba for the right price something could be wrong with him. For f***s sake. It’s a business.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If we are actually thinking of buying out Hank, why wouldn't he just accept a trade and move on? To me getting bought out is way worse than getting traded by your team.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
I'm afraid its abundantly clear already that Trouba is going to be Staal's heir apparent as team whipping boy

He's always going to be a little bit overpayed, but saddle up cause he's here for the long haul.

He's never going to get the consistent PP time to put up the points that correlate to his cap hit but he's going to play some major minutes in big situations for this team for a long time.

Reactions: belford22

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Other teams are capable of scouting someone like Trouba, for ****s sake. Our cap situation, the fact that ADA is a pending RFA owed a big contract, the fact that he and Fox are playing really well is all public knowledge. No team is going to assume that since we’re willing to move Trouba for the right price something could be wrong with him. For ****s sake. It’s a business.
Yeah that's just not realistic. If you don't think teams are aware of Trouba's play and then couple that with the Rangers making him available for trade less than a year into his long term contract you're living in fantasy land.

Also fantasy land - Thinking the Rangers are exploring trading Trouba.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
If we are actually thinking of buying out Hank, why wouldn't he just accept a trade and move on? To me getting bought out is way worse than getting traded by your team.

If he's bought out he has significantly more control over his options next year

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

[Drum Roll]

One.

That's right.

One

Kravtsov was taken 9th.

So while I appreciate the approach that building a team is about more than having top 5 picks, let's not pretend that's a path we've gone down.

We've been at it for less time than it takes a child to be conceived, brought in the world, and taught to **** in a potty. It's a little premature to talk about vast wastelands of a playoff drought that forever haunts a generation of fans.

To be fair @Edge the LA Kings had one top 5 overall pick on their Stanley Cup winning rosters that they drafted. I think one top 10 period. Drew Doughty.

But that is why we discuss so many different approaches here.

Reactions: belford22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad