Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20: Part XXIX

If the lowest Kreider will accept is 7x7 (likely with some sort of NMC), do you...

• Trade him

• Sign him

• Rent him for the playoffs and let him walk as a UFA

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Where's RB? He should be all over this.
Tread carefully, he does not like being challenged or called out...he’ll pull out his folder on you and pull up every past post where you had a differing opinion and then say you don’t know what youre talking about...

All hail Chris Kreider. Kreider forever

Last edited:

NYRfan11

Jun 20, 2006
In order to give ourselves a shot at the playoffs, we will need to go roughly 18-9 the rest of the way. I actually think we can do it. And quite honestly it is harder to go 18-9 the rest of the way than win a measly 4 out of 7 (as crazy as that sounds) having Igor as your goalie in the playoffs. My only regret about this season is that we didn't bring him up earlier. How crazy would it be if Igor carries us to a Cup and Henrik finally wins one that way? He would probably be so conflicted on the inside.

But I absolutely 1000% still trade Kreider. If you don't trade him, he will turn into a pumpkin like Staal, Girardi and Rozsival before them. If you do trade him, he will still turn into a pumpkin like Cally, Dubi, and Brass before him. The point is you have to NOT get stuck with that contract, I don't care what the $ and term are. And the fact that you can capitalize on him being the no. 1 target at the deadline is that much more reason this is super obvious.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
In order to give ourselves a shot at the playoffs, we will need to go roughly 18-9 the rest of the way. I actually think we can do it. And quite honestly it is harder to go 18-9 the rest of the way than win a measly 4 out of 7 (as crazy as that sounds) having Igor as your goalie in the playoffs. My only regret about this season is that we didn't bring him up earlier. How crazy would it be if Igor carries us to a Cup and Henrik finally wins one that way? He would probably be so conflicted on the inside.

But I absolutely 1000% still trade Kreider. If you don't trade him, he will turn into a pumpkin like Staal, Girardi and Rozsival before them. If you do trade him, he will still turn into a pumpkin like Cally, Dubi, and Brass before him. The point is you have to NOT get stuck with that contract, I don't care what the $ and term are. And the fact that you can capitalize on him being the no. 1 target at the deadline is that much more reason this is super obvious.
Lol at these comparisons. Callahan and Dubinsky both played bone bruising, shot blocking style of games. They killed their bodies out there. Its so incredible lazy to use them as a comparison. Same goes for Girardi. Why is Rozsival even being brought up here...its the same crap when people bring up Lucic and Simmonds constantly. Its not equal. Kreider may lose a step over time but he would still be faster than a large portion of league and he stays in peak condition. At least use better comps such as Erik Cole, Pacioretty, etc.

You cannot in one breath say ‘yea I think this team can run the table and make the playoffs’ and in the next be so adamant about trading Kreider. They are not running any tables if Kreider is traded. And he very well may be traded but lets not be so optimistic about one thing because it does not exist without the other.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I like Kreider. I like the season he's having.

But 7x7 or even 6x7 is a non starter. He needs to be moved. I'd put that kind of term into a center that I know will have longevity but not a 40-50 point power forward/wing at age 29. The writing is on the wall.

Reactions: Dijock94

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Lol at these comparisons. Callahan and Dubinsky both played bone bruising, shot blocking style of games. They killed their bodies out there. Its so incredible lazy to use them as a comparison. Same goes for Girardi. Why is Rozsival even being brought up here...its the same crap when people bring up Lucic and Simmonds constantly. Its not equal. Kreider may lose a step over time but he would still be faster than a large portion of league and he stays in peak condition. At least use better comps such as Erik Cole, Pacioretty, etc.

You cannot in one breath say ‘yea I think this team can run the table and make the playoffs’ and in the next be so adamant about trading Kreider. They are not running any tables if Kreider is traded. And he very well may be traded but lets not be so optimistic about one thing because it does not exist without the other.

If we are getting the exact Kreider we have seen since we drafted him he isn't worth the Hayes deal now let alone in 5 years. What we are seeing here is what's so frustrating about Kreider, everyone knew he could play like this but rarely did. Now he needs a payday and all of a sudden at 28 he has figured it all out, and we are supposed to pay him based on a month of play vs his entire career here. Sorry, but he will go back to a 50 point pace when he gets his payday. We will be talking about this contract like the Richard's deal in a few years. I just hope we trade him before he gets injured again because the return should be the best of all our moves since so far it's been a weak trade deadline with regard to available players with decent contracts.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Anybody else worried that Shesterkin's going to put this team on his back for the next two months?
If by worried, you mean excited? Yes.

I'd much rather see these kids build a winning culture than tank for another high draft pick and end up like Buffalo where you could have prime Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin, Jagr, all on the same team and still finish in the bottom 5... because losing is in that teams DNA.

blame our **** drafting. Which still hasn't really changed. The best non-goalies on our team were drafted by other teams.
It really is a shame we couldn't draft a guy like Sheshterkin... :sarcasm:

No team hits on every pick.

Reactions: Crease

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Not unlike Hayes :laugh:

But seriously. For all the "Look at Kreider lately" reasoning as to why we should keep him... Have we forgotten the start of the season? A season is 82 games, not 40 or 50. And that's why I am hesitant. If he played all season, the way he has been lately, sure. Sign him for 7 years. But that has never been the case. What makes us think it will be different in the coming years?
Agreed.

Hell, if he played this way consistently, he’d be a top 5 winger in the league and they would’ve long since locked him up to a max term contract.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Sorry if it's been mentioned, but LeBrun says that Carolina has their 1st in play for a top-4 Dman who has term left on their deal.

I wonder if there could be a match there for Skjei. He'd slide in nicely behind Slavin.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Sorry if it's been mentioned, but LeBrun says that Carolina has their 1st in play for a top-4 Dman who has term left on their deal.

I wonder if there could be a match there for Skjei. He'd slide in nicely behind Slavin.

Yea I thought that too ... it could make sense

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Agreed.

Hell, if he played this way consistently, he’d be a top 5 winger in the league and they would’ve long since locked him up to a max term contract.
If he played this way all season he would be asking for $9-11 million per year. He is what he is. A 50-60 point player. And you know what with the rising cap and AAV’s, $6.5 per or even $7 is not crazy. I agree $7 per year wont work. $6.5 would be tough to swallow but could work and while he is 28 right now, it comes down to how much the team values his style of play, production, and leadership in the room with all these young players. With respect to Zucc, Hayes, McDonagh...none were drafted by the organization. Kreider is the longest tenured drafted player next to Hank and Staal....but those two had their careers start when Jagr was still here. Longer than JT Miller and longer than Stepan. He is a big part of the organization. Again they very well likely will move him espcially with how the next 2 weeks go, but there is still good reason to keep him.

Reactions: jas

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Is Gorton allowed to tell Kreider, 'Do you remember what the Yankees got for renting Aroldis Chapman?'

My girlfriend explained this to me when I attended my first ever baseball game back in September haha. They got Gleyber Torres and then signed Aroldis as a UFA. Brilliant

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
KZB line clicked from the first moment they got put together. Pissed at the coaches juggling lines. We could have seen so much more from them.

Gonna be a sad day when Kreids is dealt.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford

So would Dougie Hamilton when he's back from injury. If I'm a Canes fan, I'd be pretty mad if they went out and bought a LD with term for significant assets. That LD will end up on the 3rd pairing next season by default.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Gonna be a sad day when Kreids is dealt.

well imo, the Rangers have enough trade assets to return a Power Forward prospect or Centerman. They have enough defensemen and they don’t need a 165lbs fast kid.

When you have Kreider, ADA, and extra goalie, a half dozen extra young defensive prospects along with a Fast or Buch, etc, they have the fire power to return a power forward prospect. This might be the most significant trade deadline of this rebuild.

Meanwhile in the system, keep an eye on Morgan Barron.

Last edited:
Reactions: wafflepadsave

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Anybody else worried that Shesterkin's going to put this team on his back for the next two months?
There will be a drop off in play when Kreider and potentially Fast go for sure, but Igor is playing well so it’s tough to know.

It would be in the best interest of this team for the rest of the year to continue to play as they have recently but not be able to pull out the win

Making a push where they end up like 12-15th in the lottery standings does nothing

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
This might be the most significant trade deadline of this rebuild.

Sure agree with that.

One prospect I'd love to get is Kostin. Although his offense is questionable ... I feel he could be a slightly slower, more edgy Kreider.

And another 1st rd pick is major. But only Kreider will fetch that imo. And Kostin + 1st for Kreids is just crazy, I suppose.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Among the better or higher potential forwards only

Group A: Panarin, Zbad, Kreider

Group B: Kakko, Chytil, Kravtsov

If it were me my questions would be,

At what point does Group B enter their NHL primes, and at what point does Group A leave theirs? How much of an overlap is there going to be?

If Group B does not enter their primes quick enough, would they be better off traded for something that complements Group A better?

If anyone from Group A leaves their primes right as Group B is hitting theirs, how much does that effect Group B's ability to contend considering the cap allocated to any one or a combo of them?

Can they add to both groups under the cap? Or should/do they need to pick one group or the other to make additions too even if that requires a subtraction from the other group?

If anyone from Group B fails to hit their perceived potential, do they have any other prospects/youth who could be considered part of that group?

I am not sure of the answers, or how they reconcile that, but to me that is sort of the crux of where they are at, and that is just the top 6 plausible forwards. The bottom 6 has a ton of question marks too.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Sure agree with that.

One prospect I'd love to get is Kostin. Although his offense is questionable ... I feel he could be a slightly slower, more edgy Kreider.

And another 1st rd pick is major. But only Kreider will fetch that imo. And Kostin + 1st for Kreids is just crazy, I suppose.

then go get him. The Rangers have enough to get practically any prospect they want. When you have the top farm system in the league and NHL assets on top of that, what is holding them back?

want a Goalie? Here
want an offensive defenseman? Here
Crafty forward? Here
Veteran Power Forward? Here
An ancient HOF Goalie? We have to talk to him again but . . . Here

Reactions: NYRFANMANI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad