Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20: Part XXIX

If the lowest Kreider will accept is 7x7 (likely with some sort of NMC), do you...

• Trade him

• Sign him

• Rent him for the playoffs and let him walk as a UFA

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
So Bobby Mac is saying what a few of us have said...if Kreider stays, some combo of Buchnevich, Strome and/or DeAngelo gets moved. I’m fine moving Buchnevich and Strome to keep Kreider. DeAngelo? Not so much.

I'm definately not into trading younger players will less trade value to keep an older player on a 7 year deal who could net you a few good pieces.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
This post is entirely neutral of pro resign and pro trade. With this with all due respect to people's opinions and such the contract you should give to CK today should be the same you'd give him 2 months ago, and the decision you make to resign him or not should be based on the player he has been for us for years and not the player he has been recently.

He's a great player but the hot streak shouldn't change anything except what his short term value is IF they trade him as a rental for a short term boost to a new team.

We got the best he is gonna be at 4.5, at 7 he is going to give us equal to much worse over the course of the contract. It's time to cut to cord and get that return. Resign the younger players.

Reactions: leetch99

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
In no universe should someone like Strome be kept over Kreider. DeAngelo is whole different issue.

Kreider is too old to be handing a 7x7 deal to. His career high was 53 points before this year, that's what he is, a 40-50 point player, dont let a contract year boom fool you, he is the same inconsistent guy he ever was, he just wants to get paid now. Even now he is on pace for 60 points, not worth that kinda cash and cap on a long term deal. Zuccarello did the same thing last year, went on a big run at tail half of the year in a contract season, I wouldnt want his contract now.

Last edited:

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Worried? So we should be upset if he catapults them into the playoffs?

All I know is Henrik Lundqvist was so great early in his career that we never had that true #1 center and #1 D to build that team around. In all those years of contending, we didn't have THE GUY you need to put the team on his back and get the big goal in big moments.

I'd rather have one more shot at a top 5 pick before we turn the corner and hit the playoffs. That's what I'm talking about. Our team defense is pretty cruddy. I doubt we make that far in the playoffs if we made it. So, yeah.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
All I know is Henrik Lundqvist was so great early in his career that we never had that true #1 center and #1 D to build that team around. In all those years of contending, we didn't have THE GUY you need to put the team on his back and get the big goal in big moments.

I'd rather have one more shot at a top 5 pick before we turn the corner and hit the playoffs. That's what I'm talking about. Our team defense is pretty cruddy. I doubt we make that far in the playoffs if we made it. So, yeah.
The only thing I'll say is that our rebuild is already in full swing whereas there was no rebuild to speak of when Henrik came along. But I share your concerns. We need another good pick this year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kreids certainly is having a CONTRACT year.

Not unlike Hayes :laugh:

But seriously. For all the "Look at Kreider lately" reasoning as to why we should keep him... Have we forgotten the start of the season? A season is 82 games, not 40 or 50. And that's why I am hesitant. If he played all season, the way he has been lately, sure. Sign him for 7 years. But that has never been the case. What makes us think it will be different in the coming years?

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Anybody else worried that Shesterkin's going to put this team on his back for the next two months?

The writing has been on the wall, even with as big of a sell-off as possible I think a collapse the last 20 is very unlikely.

Compare how good the remaining group will be and what they have to play for with what we had after the deadline last season, and what that group had to play for. And we all remember just how close that group of last year was to push us into double digits.

I do think it’s a bit of a wishful thinking to glean higher than the 10-12 spots. Even if the record up to date might say otherwise, when you pull the cord from teams around us they will collapse like last year. I think we will be kicking for a bit longer. It’s of course impossible to rule out a collapse, but I just wouldn’t put my chips on it if I had to bet.

Reactions: egelband

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

blame our shit drafting. Which still hasn't really changed. The best non-goalies on our team were drafted by other teams.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah, I know, but OTOH, what are the odds of us actually getting that guy, even if we tank? Detroit has less than an even shot at getting a top 3 pick this year. How often is a forward like that picked in the top 3? Its not more than 50% of the top 3 picks. If we say that it is 50%, its basically a coin flip that we would be getting that player if we finished dead last in the league two years in a row.

I don't disagree with you, but its an interesting almost philosophical question, how good must the odds be for an alternative for you to play those odds?

If we look at Detroit as an example, they got Zadina at No 3. Odds are that they are getting the No 4 pick this year, which could be Raymond who might become a Marner type or a little behind Marner, in which case he wouldn't be "that guy". No 1-4 next year might not be that guy. So even if Detroit finish bottom 31 in 20' and 21', I am not even sure if it it would be fair to say "boy where they unlucky to not find 'that guy' despite sucking extremely bad for 4 straight years". These are the odds in the lottery and the nature of the NHL draft.

Ultimately we have to play the hand we are given.

Reactions: egelband

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Does Dumba play RD or LD, I see hes a righty shot. If he plays LD and If that's the asking price for Dumba, please try to move Strome + a prospect not named Miller/Kravstov/Lundkvist for him.

Can then move at the draft or offseason Skjei and Buch for an upgraded winger.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So when is Kreider's last game? 2/19 vs the Hawks? Sits the 21st and 22nd for Canes and Sharks? Or sit him sooner?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Does Dumba play RD or LD, I see hes a righty shot. If he plays LD and If that's the asking price for Dumba, please try to move Strome + a prospect not named Miller/Kravstov/Lundkvist for him.

Can then move at the draft or offseason Skjei and Buch for an upgraded winger.
I dont know if Strome is enough for Dumba. Even if you attach a decent prospect to him, say Matt Robertson. Or maybe Keane who is a little further along. Maybe you add a draft pick in there as well.

All depends if he can play LD. He is listed as a RD everywhere i look. Brodin is not a bad option either, however, the complication there is he is due a new contract after next season. UFA status. His cap hit is great right now but at 27/28 what will he command? Its a similar situation to the beloved Hampus Lindholm around here. We have a collection not willing to pay up for guys past 27 years old. They especially do not want to pay up for guys in less prominent positions such as Wing and LD unless they are elite..and even then that has been an issue...see Panarin.

The next item you have to consider when making this move is what do you do with Skjei? Do you try and make both fit? Unlikely if you want to keep DeAngelo around longterm. Then you have to consider is Brodin that much of an upgrade when Skjei is making $5.2 aav for the next 5 years through age 30, while Brodin will likely be making more than that in his new contract through age 32/33.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad