Salary Cap: Roster-Building Pt. XX | A Fleury of Fehr Proposals (Contract + Cap Info in 1st Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Am I the sax guy?

Can I be the guy that packs for Kunitz and Fleury to make sure they leave the moment their call ends with JR that they're out of here?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
JR has tried to trade Kunitz once that we know of (Toronto), and maybe more. His allegence to him isn't the same as Sheros was. While I'm not 100%, I definitely don't think him resigning is a sure thing.

There were rumors for 3 trades (Sharp, Kessel and Oshie). However all that says is that Rutherford was willing to trade him for someone who was better than him and who made more money then him. The cap can be a relentless ***** at times. But that doesn't mean that JR wouldn't resign him if he didn't have faith or think there were better options out there that he could actually afford.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
A. He'd be playing for 2 weeks in the AHL before he would be playing in the NHL.
B. He'd only be playing in the NHL if he shows he's capable of playing in the NHL.
C. If he sucks, then the Pens send him down to the Q and lose basically nothing.
D. Sprong can get hurt by playing in the Q or in the AHL just like he could get hurt in the NHL. Saying "he might get hurt" is an extremely weak argument to sending him down.

I don't buy the "his confidence will be shot" argument either. The dude has already played in 18 NHL games and was on the roster for like 35 games. If he sucks, you send him back down to the Q. He simply won't be up nearly long enough to play himself into having no confidence. If he ends up in the NHL in this scenario, it's because he played well enough to justify him being in the NHL. He's not going to be in the NHL if he's struggling or if he's being physically overmatched.

The arguments against keeping Sprong up that are being made in here are basically "what if he sucks?". No one is saying that Sprong should be kept up regardless of how well he plays. He should only stay up if he earns it, sending him down based on him needing to get back into game shape is nonsensical if he doesn't need that.

Wouldn't it also be an extremely weak argument for keeping him up then (that someone else could get hurt the day after he's sent down)?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Clearly the risk of reinjury is much higher at the NHL level than in the Q.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There would be 5 of us from HFBoards there and the sax guy. Most of Pittsburgh fans love Kunitz.

Honest question:

Is your typical Pens fan in Pittsburgh honestly that dumb?

I live in Manitoba, and most fans can talk halfway intelligently about the Jets. If a guy stinks, they know it.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Name a hockey trade out there right now JR would even make. It's pretty tough to do. I honestly cannot think of one. Not until things get further down the road.

Could we have predicted Scuderi-Daley or Perron-Hagelin when they happened? Hockey trades are always so hard to predict. JR has a nose for the underachiever though. That's why I'm not surprised the Pens have been linked to Hamilton. We'll see if there's anyone out there that fits that bill come late December/early January

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Honest question:

I live in Manitoba, and most fans can talk halfway intelligently about the Jets. If a guy stinks, they know it.

My friends think Fleury's a top 5 goalie.

It's rough to watch games at times with them. They're just now coming around on Murray.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
You're right and you're wrong. You're right about what Sprong would do different. But, it won't matter, because you're still asking Malkin and Sprong to do all the dirty work for their line, which means they'll be spending time playing away from their strengths.

When I look at how Kunitz hampers Malkin and when my goal would be to help Malkin get to his game despite the handicap, then the answer to 'who fills what's missing' on a Malkin-Kunitz line is Rust, not Sprong.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. If they were SMART and went Rust-Malkin-Sprong, then you're getting the best of all worlds. But, Kunitz-Malkin-Sprong requires Kunitz to be the player he was 5 years ago or takes Malkin out of his game. It's why I keep saying I blame Sully.

We can only hope that at some point, JR finds a way to take the old, broken, iron-deficient toy away.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Honest question:

Unfortunately, yes. Pens fans are slowly trending towards Steelers fan level of fandom, and that's not a good thing. I had a buddy tell me once that when Fleury was "on his game" that he was the best goalie in the league. This was the year that Price won the MVP

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wouldn't it also be an extremely weak argument for keeping him up then (that someone else could get hurt the day after he's sent down)?

I never said that I'd keep him up in case someone got hurt. I said if you send him down while he still has AHL eligibility in the form of the conditioning assignment and then someone gets hurt, it would look really bad from an asset management standpoint. I said that if you send him down after his conditioning assignment is done and then someone gets hurt, there's nothing you can do about that.

Clearly the risk of reinjury is much higher at the NHL level than in the Q.

I interpreted that to mean he could get any sort of injury from being rusty and being thrown into NHL games. If vamb meant reinjury of his shoulder, that's valid. I just thought they were talking about injuries in general from being rusty.

Could we have predicted Scuderi-Daley or Perron-Hagelin when they happened? Hockey trades are always so hard to predict. JR has a nose for the underachiever though. That's why I'm not surprised the Pens have been linked to Hamilton. We'll see if there's anyone out there that fits that bill come late December/early January

Yeah, a Maatta for Hamilton deal would be basically the same deal as Perron for Hagelin IMO. I don't think it's impossible to have a straight up swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad