Speculation: Roster Building Frenzy Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Was that an organization thing or a Quinn thing?

I'd say it was probably the latter.
I mean Quinn had bosses (who admittedly were fired) so it can't just be called a Quinn thing, and beyond that I think I addressed the past 3-4 months in the last post. If they thought fc was the 2c here they wouldn't be looking for a 2c to replace strome. A 3c would've been easier to find at the draft and strome would already be gone. They clearly view strome as a better option this year as panarin's running mate otherwise he wouldn't still be here.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
If this year is a mandate to make the playoffs, then maybe Drury will be fired at the end of year. Shit, he may be fired when we lose 4-1 to Philly on the January 15th afternoon game.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
If this year is a mandate to make the playoffs, then maybe Drury will be fired at the end of year. Shit, he may be fired when we lose 4-1 to Philly on the January 15th afternoon game.

Isiah Thomas might be a hockey fan.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Key needs to learn to not rely on his stick so much. I would make him play a portion of practice with a stick upside down or no stick at all so he can get better at using his body to defend. Improving his positional play in 1 on 1 situations will make him that much better of a defender and will get him to the next level.

Sounds good.
He just wasn't ready to handle the speed at this level.
That said, he should know what to work on this summer.
Either he puts it together or just send him down for a stint.
Hopefully the days of rushing these kids are over.
JG ran this team like a farm club and I couldn't be more happy that he deleted his account and got tf outta here!

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Yeah I read that... Any idea why? Did he just suck? Injury?

Because analytics values certain things that don't work in playoffs. Its why teams that went all aboard the analytic train arent having success. The final 15 or 20 games of the season and into the playoffs are a different game than the first 67 games. Its why guys like Claude Lemieux or Justin Williams looked bad in regular season but were clutch in playoffs. If you wanna be a great regular season team like the Leafs then load up on the analytic darlings, if you wanna go deep in a playoff then hire someone who knows what it takes to win and the pieces that are important in a playoff run. I predicted at the start of the season mtl would win the north soley based on the fact they had the best, most physical d in the north, analytics would tell you they had no chance vs the leafs, Jets or Knights

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Giving up the farm for JE is a huge risk IMO.
He's never scored a point in the playoffs, busted neck on barely a hit.

Mehh..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210805-192952_XBrowser.jpg
    Screenshot_20210805-192952_XBrowser.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 13

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Jack Eichel can't be the Rangers only way of improving in the middle. There are other players besides Eichel.

Drury and Blake were teammates in Colorado. They won a Cup together in 2001. Maybe they make a deal at some point.

Another teammate of them was Claude Lemieux. Brendan wanted a trade and we accommodated that request very smoothly and gave him to LAK and Blake pretty cheap. Don’t think Blake is a hard guy to make deals with. More of a pragmatic type.

LAK has all those center prospects. Hopefully Blake and Drury is communicating a lot.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Regarding Chytil, he is what he is, and he's never gonna be a star player, he'll alwaya be a good player but he reminds me of our past teams, zuccarello, hayes, Stepan types who were always good for the most part, 60 pt players but you were never getting over the hump with them as key players. There was a time that was good enough for us, the bar has been raised and it will depend on whats around him whether he will be here long term. I like him as a 3c on a cup team but i dont think you are good enough if he's your 2c, atleast from what he has shown from a young age in the nhl and before that. He hasn't really been a star anywhere since he popped up on our radar so expecting him to become one isn't realistic imo.

Reactions: RGY

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Regarding Chytil, he is what he is, and he's never gonna be a star player, he'll alwaya be a good player but he reminds me of our past teams, zuccarello, hayes, Stepan types who were always good for the most part, 60 pt players but you were never getting over the hump with them as key players. There was a time that was good enough for us, the bar has been raised and it will depend on whats around him whether he will be here long term. I like him as a 3c on a cup team but i dont think you are good enough if he's your 2c, atleast from what he has shown from a young age in the nhl and before that. He hasn't really been a star anywhere since he popped up on our radar so expecting him to become one isn't realistic imo.

I dont think you can close the book on chytil. He's 21 years old, he's never gotten consistent ice time, and hasn't really played in a good system previously. Those things can really change a players career trajectory.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

I mean. Jimmy D seams unstable at best after the Wilson debacle and pathetic "revenge" game where we sent out our role players who had ZERO fighting skills to prove a point and the best we could do was a reluctant Smith who was like "Tom, bruh, I've fought but this isn't my thing, please don't kill me."

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I dont think you can close the book on chytil. He's 21 years old, he's never gotten consistent ice time, and hasn't really played in a good system previously. Those things can really change a players career trajectory.

I don't disagree with you but its not like he was Nathan Mackinnon tearing up the Q or something like that, he's been a 'really good' player all his life, I'm not expecting that to change much because he gets more ice time, in every other league he's played in he's gotten plenty of ice time. Finally, I like Fil as a prospect, but i think people are expecting more from him based on what? No diss on him because its the fan based that created this, imo he's the perfect young 3rd line c for this team and thats great, its when we all say he should be top 6 thats the problem because imo we have an organizational problem if he's a top 6 center and we're planning on competing for the cup.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Here's a potential thought--if Drury (hopefully) decides to stay away from Eichel, could the Rangers play to role of matchmaker? The team has a ton of cap space for this coming season and a fairly full roster. The next two drafts are supposed to be deep (2022) and high quality (2023). If one of the teams trying to get Eichel doesn't have the cap, and Buffalo doesn't want to absorb cap, maybe the Rangers can parley their cap space into a nice draft pick or two by taking some salary from the team looking to get Eichel. As long as the dump is an expiring contract (or possibly two years left, depending on the numbers), it would be a good way to add more assets for the future in exchange for something (cap space) that we don't appear to be using this coming season anyway.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Here's a potential thought--if Drury (hopefully) decides to stay away from Eichel, could the Rangers play to role of matchmaker? The team has a ton of cap space for this coming season and a fairly full roster. The next two drafts are supposed to be deep (2022) and high quality (2023). If one of the teams trying to get Eichel doesn't have the cap, and Buffalo doesn't want to absorb cap, maybe the Rangers can parley their cap space into a nice draft pick or two by taking some salary from the team looking to get Eichel. As long as the dump is an expiring contract (or possibly two years left, depending on the numbers), it would be a good way to add more assets for the future in exchange for something (cap space) that we don't appear to be using this coming season anyway.

I have no interest in helping Buffalo move Eichel.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I don't disagree with you but its not like he was Nathan Mackinnon tearing up the Q or something like that, he's been a 'really good' player all his life, I'm not expecting that to change much because he gets more ice time, in every other league he's played in he's gotten plenty of ice time. Finally, I like Fil as a prospect, but i think people are expecting more from him based on what? No diss on him because its the fan based that created this, imo he's the perfect young 3rd line c for this team and thats great, its when we all say he should be top 6 thats the problem because imo we have an organizational problem if he's a top 6 center and we're planning on competing for the cup.
"in every other league"? at 18 he was in the AHL and nearly a point per game. When he was in the u18 WJC 5 points in 5 games for a bad czech team.
The only league hasn't been a point per game guy, has been the NHL where he's been given short minutes, and even then his point totals have basically stayed the same for each season EXCEPT his game count has gone down by 20 each time.
18-19 22 points in 75 games
19-20 22 points in 60 games
20-21 23 points in 42 games.

His scoring rate keeps going up. This isn't a player on the decline or not ascending. This is a player who should be given time and has earned it.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Stay the course.

All we need to do is replace Strome with a longterm option.

Dvorak is the move to make.

Playing with Hall, Schmaltz and Garland 2019-2020

What more do you want? He cant skate. He can score. Has solid 2way game. Phenomenal term. Untapped potential imo... 30-40 goal potential.

He's the perfect middle6 center for us.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Stay the course.

All we need to do is replace Strome with a longterm option.

Dvorak is the move to make.

Playing with Hall, Schmaltz and Garland 2019-2020

What more do you want? He cant skate. He can score. Has solid 2way game. Phenomenal term. Untapped potential imo... 30-40 goal potential.

He's the perfect middle6 center for us.

I really think Chytil might end up better than him if we give him those middle 6 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad