Speculation: Roster Building Frenzy Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
From Sevarelli.
View attachment 459445

Basically a flat cap for — five — more years.

If this ends up being the case, the Rangers cap situation is pretty good with 1 mil in buyouts off the books next year, 3 mil the year after and with yearly increases of 1 mil we may be able to keep all our guys like Fox, Laf, Kakko, Miller, etc. and not just have to give them shitty bridge deals.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
"1. New Jersey Devils
Wins Added: 4.3 wins
Salary Added: $9.9 million
In: Dougie Hamilton, Jonathan Bernier, Ryan Graves
Out: Ryan Murray, Will Butcher, Nathan Bastian, Aaron Dell
"
"With a little more forward depth, they could be a playoff threat."

Adding Tatar, Dom will rank them S+ Tier. And there is your dark horse, trendy pick for the 8th spot in the East.

For context I pulled Dom's article from last offseason.

He said that Detroit was the most improved club, adding 4.8 wins.
They def improved, mainly because they only had a .275 win% in 2019. Only way to go was up.

At #2 was the Devils, adding 4.8 wins. They went from .493% to .402%
#3 were the Sabres adding 2.8. We all know the season they had. Went from .493% to .330%.

Take these articles with an enormous grain of salt.

NHL offseason by the numbers: Which teams have improved the most (and least)?

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
I love reading Dom because I find what he thinks fascinating for a variety of reasons. He really has a tough time understanding the old adage: "not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts".

Also, my fantasy hockey performance has been disastrous in the past three years when I started using his model draft spreadsheet.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Zibanejad is married to Swedish former footballer Irma Helin who now works for Swedish television.

They have been together 11 years.

I thought Zibanejad married the other girl. I once saw Mika with the other girl in Manhattan 3-4 years ago. He is a big guy. I heard he got married and I assumed it was the Boucher girl. I know a girl who once met Zibanejad and Zuccarello at some event in Manhattan. She told me that someone said a few Rangers players were at the event. She didn't know who they were. She told me they had long hair, had beards, wore ripped jeans and looked homeless. That's Zibanejad and Zuccarello. She thought they were part of the live music band.

Does the Swedish girl want to live in Eden Prairie, Minnesota? How about Vegas?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Again, we have plenty of fing skill.

Yeah, again, we don't have it where we need it. We need at least one (more) skilled center of the future. Doesn't have to be Eichel-level, but it still needs to be a skilled center who is capable of 1C production.

Top forwards, a Norris trophy winning Dman, and a top young goalie. Mika, Panarin, Kakko, Laf, Kravs, Chytil, Kreider, Fox, Shesty. The biggest question mark for this team is a bona fide 2C and there are still options out there to upgrade. Who said the moves were done? Mika is 29 but is still a legit 1C when healthy.

Mika is a bonafide 1C "NOW," but yes he's 29 and there is obvious consternation inside the organization about giving him the dollars and term he wants.

But "the letter," indicated we were tearing it down to create a long term contender. Mika is not going to be an elite 1C for the long term. His analytics indicate he's already probably reached his peak and is going to start trending down. On top of that he's proven to be a bit fragile and susceptible to being out of the lineup or less than effective for stretches. If we are throwing all our eggs in that basket then we are failing Kakko and Lafreniere long term.

Chytil has shown growth and is 22 and can be a fine 3c, maybe 2c if given the opportunity. There is still time and options for the continued building of the roster but right now this team is a playoff team.

I 100% agree that right now this is a playoff team, I just am not sure it has established that it's a bonafide contender. And the biggest issue is, yes, we can add things as we go, but it only gets harder and harder to find 1C types when you are drafting outside the lottery as we will now be doing. It becomes harder and harder as your prospects age out and are traded at the deadline for other things. It gets harder and harder as you use your cap space on other players to trade for an established 1C, etc. It would have been relatively easy to do already... now it's going to be difficult.

People keep throwing out comps like the Knights (who haven't won shit) or the Blues (who went on one miracle run) as examples of why you don't need your cupboard to be overflowing with centers to win.

Who the hell aspires to be the Blues or Knights? I want to be the Penguins, the Blackhawks, the Kings or the Bruins.

They all had elite, young centers when they began their runs. Not 29 year olds that forced them to go 1C shopping mid-dynasty.

Not getting a center to grow with Kakko and Lafreniere yet has been, and will continue to be, in my opinion, an organizational complete failure. The rebuild is not done until one is in hand.

Chytil is a very nice player and is a good step. If we had two Chytils I would say we are relatively insulated, as we might lack elite talent but at least we'd have very quality depth, but we do not have two Chytils, we only have one.

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yeah, again, we don't have it where we need it. We need at least one (more) skilled center of the future. Doesn't have to be Eichel-level, but it still needs to be a skilled center who is capable of 1C production.

Mika is a bonafide 1C "NOW," but yes he's 29 and there is obvious consternation inside the organization about giving him the dollars and term he wants.

But "the letter," indicated we were tearing it down to create a long term contender. Mika is not going to be an elite 1C for the long term. His analytics indicate he's already probably reached his peak and is going to start trending down. On top of that he's proven to be a bit fragile and susceptible to being out of the lineup or less than effective for stretches. If we are throwing all our eggs in that basket then we are failing Kakko and Lafreniere long term.

I 100% agree that right now this is a playoff team, I just am not sure it has established that it's a bonafide contender. People keep throwing out comps like the Knights (who haven't won shit) or the Blues (who went on one miracle run) as examples of why you don't need your cupboard to be overflowing with centers to win.

Who the hell aspires to be the Blues or Knights? I want to be the Penguins, the Blackhawks, the Kings or the Bruins.

They all had elite, young centers when they began their runs. Not 29 year olds that forced them to go 1C shopping mid-dynasty.

Not getting a center to grow with Kakko and Lafreniere yet has been, and will continue to be, in my opinion, an organizational complete failure. The rebuild is not done until one is in hand.

Chytil is a very nice player and is a good step. If we had two Chytils I would say we are relatively insulated, as we might lack elite talent but at least we'd have very quality depth, but we do not have two, we only have one.

I really question the analytics saying Mika's reached his peak and will slide down. Mika had a clear line between when he was suffering the effects of covid vs when he was completely healthy. If you project his healthy stats across the board for the full 82 games, he has an even better season than he did in 19-20. Very few centers take the big step forward that mika did at age 26-27, so the comparable data isn't really there to say "he's sliding down".

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Alright, I'm gonna take a nap but I want a full summary of Mika's love life and marital status by the time I wake up. This is the most interesting thing this off season so far and I won't let this "wins above replacement" talk get in the way of it.
Zibanejad has the highest Wives Above Replacement in the league

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I really question the analytics saying Mika's reached his peak and will slide down. Mika had a clear line between when he was suffering the effects of covid vs when he was completely healthy. If you project his healthy stats across the board for the full 82 games, he has an even better season than he did in 19-20. Very few centers take the big step forward that mika did at age 26-27, so the comparable data isn't really there to say "he's sliding down".

Maybe. I cannot answer that.

There is reason to believe the stats may not accurately predict a Mika slide starting as soon as this season.

But when you watch him and look at his body of work does he really appear to be the kind of player who is going to thrive into his mid 30s? I don't see that. Ergo there's also reason to believe that even if the advanced stats are wrong-ish on him, there is no way that THIS is the guy who is going to defy father time. Panarin might be that player. Mika? Not likely.

I hate the alternatives here. But I do not see a scenario where I think simply locking Mika up long term and then presuming we will be a competitor when he's 35 works out for us.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
How are we deeper in the middle? People just want to blow off our shortcomings at center as if they don't exist. Again part of the reason we were dominated in games by the better teams last year is because of the way our centers play. You can get by with Zib but not Strome. We need a center that can skate the puck in and show some physicality as opposed to playing on the edges with all these cross ice passes. I am not a fan of trading for Eichel but we do need an upgrade at center. If all you are content with status quo then more than likely we will fall short when it comes to competing for a playoff position.

That's a fair criticism. However, I don't believe anyone is blowing it off. Chytil will be entering prime years and he has gotten better every year. Goodrow has and does play center and is a responsible defensive one at that. And good at faceoffs. Z is a great top line center and has a good 200 foot game, but I understand concerns with his health and age. Strome is really a whipping boy for no reason at this point. He has been nothing but good for the Rangers since we got him, yet he is judged for his play in Edmonton.

I'm not saying our centers are great, but the team around them continues to get better, and older(we were the youngest team in the league last year). Our defense is much improved with the addition of Nemeth and Tinordi who are superior defenders to Jones, Hajek, Smith and Johnson. Not to mention the potential of Lundqvist on the right.

This summer has been anything but status quo. Every summer before was status quo. At least the team targeted a need and made the moves to get it done, and did it without overpaying anyone. As long as they don't f*** it up and trade for Eichel, this will be a team moving in the right directions. I think you are actually downplaying the improvements this team will see with a more varied lineup up front.

For once this team signed vets from teams that have actually competed in the playoffs and even, shockingly, won the Stanley Cup. Usually its the constant turnover of low line bargain bin shopping from perennial losers that turns us into a perennial loser.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
For context I pulled Dom's article from last offseason.

He said that Detroit was the most improved club, adding 4.8 wins.
They def improved, mainly because they only had a .275 win% in 2019. Only way to go was up.

At #2 was the Devils, adding 4.8 wins. They went from .493% to .402%
#3 were the Sabres adding 2.8. We all know the season they had. Went from .493% to .330%.

Take these articles with an enormous grain of salt.

NHL offseason by the numbers: Which teams have improved the most (and least)?

FWIW I think Dom was relatively accurate with his predictions for US, for this season that just passed, at least in his standings/finish predictions.

So yeah take it with a grain of salt but he's also been right about some things.

Last edited:

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
For once this team signed vets from teams that have actually competed in the playoffs and even, shockingly, won the Stanley Cup. Usually its the constant turnover of low line bargain bin shopping from perennial losers that turns us into a perennial loser.
Agreed. I had enough of trading with Columbus and Arizona.

Reactions: MrAlmost

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I don't think they should clear out Strome the way they cleared out Buchnevich, basically just for ice time. If you get an injury early on or you get slow starts from Laf, Kakko and/or Kravtsov, you're looking at a forward group that just isn't very good.

The chances of Strome being a "Gallant-type player" with the specific issues in his game and getting all the best assignments are pretty low. Then again, he was Quinn's trusted guy and they were arguing about the team's tactics or whatever, coaches can be weird

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
FWIW I think Dom was relatively accurate with his predictions for US, for this season that just passed, at least in his standings/finish predictions.

So yeah take it with a grain of salt but he's also been right about some things.

Dom's predictions were fairly accurate, but the season included (panarin missing 10 games, mika suffering from covid for 20 games) those were things that no model should "predict", and had they not occured his model would've been wildly off.

I dont think his model was good for us, I think it was Lucky.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Ouch. Sobering but probably highly accurate, at least to a degree.

The Rangers obsession with toughness and "winning now," over continuing to add skill, especially at center, is going to be a long term derailment to their dynasty aspirations, which were within their grasp if they had continued to build towards it. They were foolish, and now their long term forward corps is not completed and they lack the high end assets to complete it (cap space and top ten draft picks).

And it starts with JD, by the way, who began preaching this notion (unless he was mandated to do so by the owner). It certainly continues now with this new administration, and is found in hypothetical concepts I find absurd like keeping Schneider and Trouba over Lundkvist because "toffness."

The Rangers didn't do themselves any favors with some of the contracts they handed out to Panarin and Trouba. The 7 year contract to Kreider.

The Rangers do need to become a bigger and tougher team to play against. They aren't winning anything with all skill guys.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I see this team being in a playoff spot, even if its a WC position, around the deadline. And at that time I can see this team adding the piece it needs down the middle to strengthen itself for the final push. Now that doesnt mean it has to be on the level of Eichel or Larkin because we have so much talent on the wings. It could be the perfect complimentary center.

Bottom line is they should not go all in on Eichel right now.

The Rangers could have made the playoffs last season if Panarin didn't leave the team for three weeks.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
The Rangers didn't do themselves any favors with some of the contracts they handed out to Panarin and Trouba. The 7 year contract to Kreider.

The Rangers do need to become a bigger and tougher team to play against. They aren't winning anything with all skill guys.
Panarin is worthy of his contract. Kreider and Trouba definitely aren't worthy of theirs. Freaking covid...

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I don't think they should clear out Strome the way they cleared out Buchnevich, basically just for ice time. If you get an injury early on or you get slow starts from Laf, Kakko and/or Kravtsov, you're looking at a forward group that just isn't very good.

The chances of Strome being a "Gallant-type player" with the specific issues in his game and getting all the best assignments are pretty low. Then again, he was Quinn's trusted guy and they were arguing about the team's tactics or whatever, coaches can be weird
Man that's what makes the Buch trade hurt even more, if Buch evolved from someone who doesn't even play defence into a two way beast under Quinn; who knows what he would've developed into under Gallant?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Alright, I'm gonna take a nap but I want a full summary of Mika's love life and marital status by the time I wake up. This is the most interesting thing this off season so far and I won't let this "wins above replacement" talk get in the way of it.
It's no darn wonder he had no legs lat year . Our local junior club back a few years ago warned the boys to leave the girls alone during a playoff final series....come to think of it....Turk might have been coaching them at that time when it was for the Tier 2 Canadian Jr Championship Royal Bank Cup . Smarten up Mika...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad