Speculation: Roster Building Frenzy Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
This feels like its based solely on advanced stats. Not that advanced stats are bad, but player for player it feels like we are deeper, more defensive and only lost a bit off the offense with Buch being out. And with Krav, Kakko and Laf, that offense might be made up pretty easily.
How are we deeper in the middle? People just want to blow off our shortcomings at center as if they don't exist. Again part of the reason we were dominated in games by the better teams last year is because of the way our centers play. You can get by with Zib but not Strome. We need a center that can skate the puck in and show some physicality as opposed to playing on the edges with all these cross ice passes. I am not a fan of trading for Eichel but we do need an upgrade at center. If all you are content with status quo then more than likely we will fall short when it comes to competing for a playoff position.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
From the Athletic, the Rangers are graded 27th for their off season moves.

“27. New York Rangers
Wins Added: -3.6 wins
Salary Added: $1.1 million
In: Barclay Goodrow, Dryden Hunt, Sammy Blais, Patrik Nemeth, Ryan Reaves, Jarred Tinordi
Out: Pavel Buchnevich, Tony DeAngelo, Colin Blackwell, Philipp di Giuseppe, Brendan Smith, Brett Howden

No team had a more baffling offseason as the front office seems to have gone all-in on the tougher to play against mandate. The Rangers spent an extra $1.1 million to be nearly four wins worse. Not a single player brought in is a significant needle mover and that includes Barclay Goodrow who will look much worse when not playing next to Gourde and Coleman. Ryan Reaves, at this stage of his career, hurts much more than he helps while neither Sammy Blais nor Patrik Nemeth offers much value above replacement.
It’s a whole pile of nothing but toughness. It has a place, but the Rangers should prefer players who are actually good on top of being in tough, like Wilson, to solve their Wilson problem. They overpaid to curb a hyper-fixation on one player and arguably set the team back to do it.
The Rangers should still be in the playoff mix after this, they had a strong base to begin with, but they didn’t make things any easier for themselves trading away Pavel Buchnevich. That’s a legitimate top line forward traded for a low pick and someone who hits. Great work.”
What team was ranked nr1?

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Another guy whose playoff Resume makes Nash and Zucc look like Kuch and Point.

Devils going all in this summer on players you can't win with.
Analytics darling team, #1. Rangers toast.

God, I won't be able to handle the first time we lose to them next year. Will be an insufferable avalanche of hubris.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
From the Athletic, the Rangers are graded 27th for their off season moves.

“27. New York Rangers
Wins Added: -3.6 wins
Salary Added: $1.1 million
In: Barclay Goodrow, Dryden Hunt, Sammy Blais, Patrik Nemeth, Ryan Reaves, Jarred Tinordi
Out: Pavel Buchnevich, Tony DeAngelo, Colin Blackwell, Philipp di Giuseppe, Brendan Smith, Brett Howden

No team had a more baffling offseason as the front office seems to have gone all-in on the tougher to play against mandate. The Rangers spent an extra $1.1 million to be nearly four wins worse. Not a single player brought in is a significant needle mover and that includes Barclay Goodrow who will look much worse when not playing next to Gourde and Coleman. Ryan Reaves, at this stage of his career, hurts much more than he helps while neither Sammy Blais nor Patrik Nemeth offers much value above replacement.
It’s a whole pile of nothing but toughness. It has a place, but the Rangers should prefer players who are actually good on top of being in tough, like Wilson, to solve their Wilson problem. They overpaid to curb a hyper-fixation on one player and arguably set the team back to do it.
The Rangers should still be in the playoff mix after this, they had a strong base to begin with, but they didn’t make things any easier for themselves trading away Pavel Buchnevich. That’s a legitimate top line forward traded for a low pick and someone who hits. Great work.”

Ouch. Sobering but probably highly accurate, at least to a degree.

The Rangers obsession with toughness and "winning now," over continuing to add skill, especially at center, is going to be a long term derailment to their dynasty aspirations, which were within their grasp if they had continued to build towards it. They were foolish, and now their long term forward corps is not completed and they lack the high end assets to complete it (cap space and top ten draft picks).

And it starts with JD, by the way, who began preaching this notion (unless he was mandated to do so by the owner). It certainly continues now with this new administration, and is found in hypothetical concepts I find absurd like keeping Schneider and Trouba over Lundkvist because "toffness."

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
What team was ranked nr1?
"1. New Jersey Devils
Wins Added: 4.3 wins
Salary Added: $9.9 million
In: Dougie Hamilton, Jonathan Bernier, Ryan Graves
Out: Ryan Murray, Will Butcher, Nathan Bastian, Aaron Dell
"
"With a little more forward depth, they could be a playoff threat."

Adding Tatar, Dom will rank them S+ Tier. And there is your dark horse, trendy pick for the 8th spot in the East.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

The Rangers obsession with toughness and "winning now," over continuing to add skill, especially at center, is going to be a long term derailment to their dynasty aspirations, which were within their grasp if they had continued to build towards it. They were foolish, and now their long term forward corps is not completed and they lack the high end assets to complete it (cap space and top ten draft picks).

And it starts with JD, by the way, who began preaching this notion (unless he was mandated to do so by the owner). It certainly continues now with this new administration, and is found in hypothetical concepts I find absurd like keeping Schneider and Trouba over Lundkvist because "toffness."

You cannot win in this league with nothing but skill.

You act like we booted all of our skill. All we did was boot our most expendable winger.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Toughness and balancing out the roster matter. Did you watch the last few weeks of the season? Did you watch the playoffs? We have PLENTY of skill and now we have some guys who will get in the opponents grill. I'm sure Gallant was fully on board with the players we got and should have these guys playing aggressively within his system. I'm very confident these turds will be eating crow as this team will be an absolute pan in the ass to play against.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
You cannot win in this league with nothing but skill.

You act like we booted all of our skill. All we did was boot our most expendable winger.

I'm literally saying that we still lack skill where it's needed most.

Adding grit is fine, but we are going overboard and ignoring that the rebuild isn't done yet.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
"1. New Jersey Devils
"

Adding Tatar, Dom will rank them S+ Tier. And there is your dark horse, trendy pick for the 8th spot in the East.

Tatar always has good numbers, but he's softer than baby shit. There's a reason he's been scratched by different teams on their way to the Finals.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
"1. New Jersey Devils
"

Don't worry, we now have the toughness to compete with the Isles and Caps so the Devils shouldnt be a problem either :sarcasm:

I joke but that was something I was screaming about last season. The Devils are a smaller club and the Rangers needed to utilize their size (they are bigger than most teams, althought a lot of that height is in the youth) to their advantage. Hopefully Gallant recognizes this and gets them to buy in

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Bingo!

Rangers went from promising, no doubt future perennial contender to middling 8th spot fighters with no cap room in a span of two months in the eyes of the media. Any losing streak next year is going to give the rest of the NHL world a massive woody.
We could win the Cup next year and it would still be "But they still shouldn't have traded Buchnevich or signed Goodrow to 6 years!!! I am right in my analysis!"

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Toughness and balancing out the roster matter.

No one is claiming it doesn't matter.

It's just been forgotten that Zibanejad is 29 with a history of concussions and Strome is on the trade block, though.

We needed to get at least one if not two more young centers into our pipeline and we've deliberately ignored obvious solutions to this problem time and time again, mostly in favor of "winning now," or "toughness and grit," decisions.

We've ignored skill in favor of experience and toughness now for over a year. The time for the pendulum to swing back to a balanced approach has long since passed. This offseason has been ENTIRELY grit and toughness.

Example: Everyone liked signing Goodrow. Everyone hated trading Buch for Blais. Everyone liked signing Nemeth. Most people disliked passing up an obvious skilled center at 16 for a gritty winger.

It's grit, grit, grit, right now with this administration.

We have enough grit now. What we don't have is enough skill at forward, actually, until we have a couple of skilled young centers in the pipeline.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
We could win the Cup next year and it would still be "But they still shouldn't have traded Buchnevich or signed Goodrow to 6 years!!! I am right in my analysis!"
It's not hyperbole to say the rangers and leafs with Montreal right behind, are the most generally hated org in the league. Everyone but us wants them to not only lose, but be WRONG.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm literally saying that we still lack skill where it's needed most.

Adding grit is fine, but we are going overboard and ignoring that the rebuild isn't done yet.

Where do we need it most? In the top 6? We have plenty if it there. Lest you forget we got a #2 and a #1 OA in back to back years. Theres a budding top 6 C who has been buried on the 3rd line. We also have one of the top 5 players in the league and another guy who can score 40 in his sleep. Again, not really seeing where we lack the skill, theres a ton of it still remaining.

We added a bit of diversity (to this point, probably not enough. Not so much to the grit side of things but to the being able to actually do something when you don't have the puck side of things... Okay, I'm really just talking about Strome.) As currently constructed, this team will still be more than capable of lighting teams up on the Rush if they want to play that game.

They've taken some steps in order to create a group that can lean on their opponents. I'd like for them to do a bit more to ensure that they don't get lit up on the rush too but maybe thats coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad