Line Combos: Roster 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I’m an outlier on here but really think Stan can replace Dillion without losing a beat. Then Heinola up. Wheeler shouldn’t get another big pay check from us. Still a lot of big pieces to workout that year. Demelo can be replaced with kov and a solid piece on other side like Samberg heinola.

De Melo has been good. I am hoping in 3 years Lundmark is ready to replace him.

I'd actually like to see the Jets go back to Morrissey-De Melo, and make them the top PK unit too.

I forgot about Heinola being RFA at that time too. That's interesting because he and Perfetti should hit around $12 million combined if they hit their potential There's definitely no room for Wheeler then unless he signs at $820 000, but he should be retired by then, I suspect sooner, as the criticism keeps growing, he'll passing on the reigns.

I think Stanley should be able to replace Dillon too. If Chisholm is going to be an NHLer, I suspect it is by replacing Dillon. Seems to be ahead of Samberg now. And maybe passes Stanley along the way. He'll be in his final ELC season next season. Jets will probably have to choose between him and Heinola or move one to their offside.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
How would we feel with a Heinola Pionk pairing?

Only problem right now is Pionk sucks on PK, and is on there. Schmidt also sucks on PK, but isn't on there. Heinola we don't know if he sucks at the PK, but he probably doesn't get on there. I'd like if Dillon were the 7th d-man. For that purpose. But it doesn't maximize Heinola's potential, if he can't get PP time. I'd like to see that next year, if Schmidt is just a one year rental.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
De Melo has been good. I am hoping in 3 years Lundmark is ready to replace him.

I'd actually like to see the Jets go back to Morrissey-De Melo, and make them the top PK unit too.

I forgot about Heinola being RFA at that time too. That's interesting because he and Perfetti should hit around $12 million combined if they hit their potential There's definitely no room for Wheeler then unless he signs at $820 000, but he should be retired by then, I suspect sooner, as the criticism keeps growing, he'll passing on the reigns.

I think Stanley should be able to replace Dillon too. If Chisholm is going to be an NHLer, I suspect it is by replacing Dillon. Seems to be ahead of Samberg now. And maybe passes Stanley along the way. He'll be in his final ELC season next season. Jets will probably have to choose between him and Heinola or move one to their offside.
If Heinola hits his potential he is being paired with morrissey and we have the money from Schmidt to play with. I’d love to have Chisholm pass Stanley as it means we have another great d. In that case we should be able to move Samberg for a guy who can fill Appleton’s role.
If we sold Schmidt we should be able to get more than we spent as he is a lot better than on Vancouver.

Reactions: voyageur

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Only problem right now is Pionk sucks on PK, and is on there. Schmidt also sucks on PK, but isn't on there. Heinola we don't know if he sucks at the PK, but he probably doesn't get on there. I'd like if Dillon were the 7th d-man. For that purpose. But it doesn't maximize Heinola's potential, if he can't get PP time. I'd like to see that next year, if Schmidt is just a one year rental.
But right now Dillion sucks on pk too.

Reactions: voyageur

Big Carl

Nov 24, 2021
I was more so asking in relation to regular line pairings, our special units are both quite 'special'.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I was more so asking in relation to regular line pairings, our special units are both quite 'special'.

I think that Heinola-Pionk pairing has all the same capabilities as a Josi-Ellis pairing down the road. Except that those two players played on both end of special teams. Not saying these two can't but like you say special teams have been "special" this year, and good teams generally have good special teams. Elite teams have one area of special teams that are elite.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
With Pionk out, I don't think the Jets have the secondary pairings of a top defense. Stanley looked a lot more off playing with Dillon than he usually does with De Melo. Which I think is some credit to De Melo.

If Pionk is out for an extended period, I'd be splitting up Morrissey-Schmidt before Stanley-De Melo. I think now would be a good time to see what Dillon-Schmidt can do as a pairing. Add Heinola to the top 4, putting him with Morrissey, and the defense doesn't look like a one trick pony, as none of the pairings were particularly strong.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
With Pionk out, I don't think the Jets have the secondary pairings of a top defense. Stanley looked a lot more off playing with Dillon than he usually does with De Melo. Which I think is some credit to De Melo.

If Pionk is out for an extended period, I'd be splitting up Morrissey-Schmidt before Stanley-De Melo. I think now would be a good time to see what Dillon-Schmidt can do as a pairing. Add Heinola to the top 4, putting him with Morrissey, and the defense doesn't look like a one trick pony, as none of the pairings were particularly strong.

Agreed

Id be interested to run with
Morrissey-Demelo
Dillon-Schmidt
Stanley-Beaulieu

if Heinola is an option, keep Morrissey-Schmidt together and put him next to Dillon.

When down in games, the only pair that can generate offense, or where we have some strong puck-moving is Morrissey-Schmidt. at least Heinola adds a bit more of that. The Dillon-Stanley pairing got mashed in last night.

We also need to fire CSW in the sun.

Reactions: Jack7222 and JetsUK

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agreed

Morrissey-Demelo
Dillon-Schmidt
Stanley-Beaulieu

if Heinola is an option, keep Morrissey-Schmidt together and put him next to Dillon.

When down in games, the only pair that can generate offense, or where we have some strong puck-moving is Morrissey-Schmidt. at least Heinola adds a bit more of that. The Dillon-Stanley pairing got mashed in last night.

That would be interesting -
Not sure Ville would have saved us on the Dillion pairing.
What do you think his game would have looked like net front when Stan was a mess trying to contend with the traffic.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That would be interesting -
Not sure Ville would have saved us on the Dillion pairing.
What do you think his game would have looked like net front when Stan was a mess trying to contend with the traffic.
he's roughly the same size as demelo, pionk, morrissey and schmidt. im not sure what it would look like since he he has never played next to dillon. our top pair has 2 guys that are a bolstering 6'0 190lbs and seem to do fine. there'll be growing pains no doubt but there's more upside in puck-moving and offense when compared to stanley. and it's not like stanley is some stalwart defensively anyway.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Agreed

Morrissey-Demelo
Dillon-Schmidt
Stanley-Beaulieu

I like that too, I think without Pionk you have to split Morrissey-Schmidt up to create 2 good puck moving pairings. Heinola solves that, but I'm not sure about Dillon as a mentor. He knows his role though, and he and Schmidt were both brought here to bolster the top 4.

Also agree, I'd like to see more pace.

Connor-Scheifele-Copp
Stastny-Dubois-Ehlers
Harkins-Lowry-Wheeler (Harkins because he is the best skater on the bottom lines)
Vesalainen-Toninato-Svetchnikov

And if you eventually replace Toninato with Gustafsson you'd have a hard time convincing me the Jets aren't capable of 4 line hockey, which would reduce some of the fatigue you might see in our PK.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I like that too, I think without Pionk you have to split Morrissey-Schmidt up to create 2 good puck moving pairings. Heinola solves that, but I'm not sure about Dillon as a mentor. He knows his role though, and he and Schmidt were both brought here to bolster the top 4.

Connor-Scheifele-Copp
Stastny-Dubois-Ehlers
Harkins-Lowry-Wheeler (Harkins because he is the best skater on the bottom lines)

And if you eventually replace Toninato with Gustafsson you'd have a hard time convincing me the Jets aren't capable of 4 line hockey, which would reduce some of the fatigue you might see in our PK.
Especially if you swap pld and schief.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Connor-Scheifele-Copp
Stastny-Dubois-Ehlers

i think id go

connor-pld-svech
copp-scheifele-ehlers
ves-stastny-wheeler
harkins-lowry-toninato

lowry isn't giving you much this year. stastny is fine defensively and adds a lot more offense comparatively and you're playing him to his strengths down the middle. i don't care much for either harkins or vesalainen, id like a little more offense on that LW (hello Perfetti....if Jarvis can be an every-day contributor for Carolina there's no reason Perfetti can't for us, but i digress). I think with 2 strong playmakers ves can actually get the puck when he is in position to get his shot off, as opposed with playing with the likes of lowry or nash.

Reactions: Mooche and Jack7222

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
he's roughly the same size as demelo, pionk, morrissey and schmidt. im not sure what it would look like since he he has never played next to dillon. our top pair has 2 guys that are a bolstering 6'0 190lbs and seem to do fine. there'll be growing pains no doubt but there's more upside in puck-moving and offense when compared to stanley. and it's not like stanley is some stalwart defensively anyway.

The defensive end of our D was exposed last night - all 3 pairing were bull dozed.
I'm not about to even try comparing Ville to our top pairing based on the fact they are close to the same size (when they really are not).
There is always upside to puck moving Dmen if they are able to retrieve pucks - last night our best dmen struggled with that task - I know Ville would have been in much worse shape.

Stan is better defensively than Ville - no need to be a stalwart.
Last night they all struggled - my point is only that we struggled moving bodies last night and I don't think Ville would have helped much in that dept.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ok. If you have different lsited sizes for our dman I'd love to see them. Actually think they're being generous with pionk.

So the biggest dman on our team cant clear the net. This is a bigger problem. If the biggest guy can't clear the net then wtf else are they supposed to do

Anyway. Stanley sucked last night. The entire d group did. But the second pair was the worst of the bunch especially on the defensive end.

The defensive end of our D was exposed last night - all 3 pairing were bull dozed.
I'm not about to even try comparing Ville to our top pairing based on the fact they are close to the same size (when they really are not).
There is always upside to puck moving Dmen if they are able to retrieve pucks - last night our best dmen struggled with that task - I know Ville would have been in much worse shape.

Stan is better defensively than Ville - no need to be a stalwart.
Last night they all struggled - my point is only that we struggled moving bodies last night and I don't think Ville would have helped much in that dept.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
i think id go

connor-pld-svech
copp-scheifele-ehlers
ves-stastny-wheeler
harkins-lowry-toninato

lowry isn't giving you much this year. stastny is fine defensively and adds a lot more offense comparatively and you're playing him to his strengths down the middle. i don't care much for either harkins or vesalainen, id like a little more offense on that LW (hello Perfetti....if Jarvis can be an every-day contributor for Carolina there's no reason Perfetti can't for us, but i digress). I think with 2 strong playmakers ves can actually get the puck when he is in position to get his shot off, as opposed with playing with the likes of lowry or nash.

I think Lowry is again underrated. Those 77 hits, well a lot of them count, and a lot of them come in the defensive zone breaking up plays with physicality. The 52.1 % Corsi tells me that he is playing in the other end more than his own, which is what I see when he is on the ice. I don't like Vesalainen on his wing that much. Like all wingers Vesalainen is learning the straight line game, but he isn't defensively aware yet, and has struggled at times with breakouts. I feel that even last night when Harkins was briefly out there with Lowry, the line was attacking. They are able to generate a counterattack because of the speed Harkins brings. Adding Wheeler to the wing, gives the natural righty to play pucks off the boards, in the defensive end. That's a go to defensive line, as Wheeler will put in the work, but without a triggerman he is more likely to play a direct game, where he is not looking for seams, other than the defensive drive.

I know Connor-Dubois-Svetchnikov was the hot line that every one is clamouring for, but hot lines do run cold too. I like Dubois and Ehlers just as much as Dubois and Connor, and I think you can easily switch Connor and Ehlers among the top two centres, that's easy enough. I like Copp beside Scheifele because you get the extra protection in the circle, good defensive awareness, and a player who isn't thinking pass first on every scoring chance. Also a net front presence. For me Stastny is still a better player than Svetchnikov, both contribute the same way, retrieving pucks in the corner, getting to the net, and I think they too can be interchangeable.

Taking Wheeler away Scheifele at least allows for the only two right handed shots to be on different lines, giving different looks, and options of attack.

As for Jarvis and Perfetti. There are players drafted behind Perfetti already producing, like Lundell, Jarvis, and Mercer. But I don't think that is a reason to rush him. If the Jets need another skilled forward due to injury that's where I'd look at Perfetti. Besides in the shots I saw of Jarvis, he looked like a kid coming off a 3 day bender. Keep the fresh faced kid fresh faced for the prime time, which another year of development will surely have him ready for. Jets achilles heel this year is the PK, and Perfetti doesn't help in any way in that end. But David Gustafsson probably could have won a spot in TC, if the spots weren't already decided.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Ok. If you have different lsited sizes for our dman I'd love to see them. Actually think they're being generous with pionk.

So the biggest dman on our team cant clear the net. This is a bigger problem. If the biggest guy can't clear the net then wtf else are they supposed to do

Anyway. Stanley sucked last night. The entire d group did. But the second pair was the worst of the bunch especially on the defensive end.

You're right about the listed weights / size of our Dmen - I think a few of them might be off a bit, including Ville.
Our smaller guys at least have a bit of grit in their game which helps when you are smaller - Ville has zero.

Both of our biggest Dmen had trouble with net front in that game - some of that is due to how difficult it is to contend with the Caines.
Which is why Ville would have likely struggled even more so with that team - IMO

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
You're right about the listed weights / size of our Dmen - I think a few of them might be off a bit, including Ville.
Our smaller guys at least have a bit of grit in their game which helps when you are smaller - Ville has zero.

Both of our biggest Dmen had trouble with net front in that game - some of that is due to how difficult it is to contend with the Caines.
Which is why Ville would have likely struggled even more so with that team - IMO

so heinola (and no one else on the team for that matter) can move ppl in front of the net. and it seems like you don't care about puck-moving (which is paramount in playing less defense) or offensive out of the back-end. so basically no use for heinola, got it.

and you're basing this whole net-front thing on one game.... the Jets were out-classed every where this game. there were plenty of games they did fine in physicality/net-front. insertion of heinola doesn't help that game at all i dont think i ever said it would.

some of the most impactful dmen in the league are roughly the same size as heinola btw.

I think Lowry is again underrated. Those 77 hits, well a lot of them count, and a lot of them come in the defensive zone breaking up plays with physicality. The 52.1 % Corsi tells me that he is playing in the other end more than his own, which is what I see when he is on the ice. I don't like Vesalainen on his wing that much. Like all wingers Vesalainen is learning the straight line game, but he isn't defensively aware yet, and has struggled at times with breakouts. I feel that even last night when Harkins was briefly out there with Lowry, the line was attacking. They are able to generate a counterattack because of the speed Harkins brings. Adding Wheeler to the wing, gives the natural righty to play pucks off the boards, in the defensive end. That's a go to defensive line, as Wheeler will put in the work, but without a triggerman he is more likely to play a direct game, where he is not looking for seams, other than the defensive drive.

I know Connor-Dubois-Svetchnikov was the hot line that every one is clamouring for, but hot lines do run cold too. I like Dubois and Ehlers just as much as Dubois and Connor, and I think you can easily switch Connor and Ehlers among the top two centres, that's easy enough. I like Copp beside Scheifele because you get the extra protection in the circle, good defensive awareness, and a player who isn't thinking pass first on every scoring chance. Also a net front presence. For me Stastny is still a better player than Svetchnikov, both contribute the same way, retrieving pucks in the corner, getting to the net, and I think they too can be interchangeable.

Taking Wheeler away Scheifele at least allows for the only two right handed shots to be on different lines, giving different looks, and options of attack.

As for Jarvis and Perfetti. There are players drafted behind Perfetti already producing, like Lundell, Jarvis, and Mercer. But I don't think that is a reason to rush him. If the Jets need another skilled forward due to injury that's where I'd look at Perfetti. Besides in the shots I saw of Jarvis, he looked like a kid coming off a 3 day bender. Keep the fresh faced kid fresh faced for the prime time, which another year of development will surely have him ready for. Jets achilles heel this year is the PK, and Perfetti doesn't help in any way in that end. But David Gustafsson probably could have won a spot in TC, if the spots weren't already decided.

Lowry is definitely not underrated. and our team has been positive corsi as a whole so him being positive doesn't tell me much. lowry is a top-9 fwd and getting 15 mins a night, 2 goals/5 pts is pacing for under 8 goals/10 pts, this isn't enough.

look at TBL's third line past few years. you need 40ish pts from your 3rd line, and ontop of that they were an absolute buzz-saw with puck possession. So yes, both can be done congruently. and i really don't care if he has gets 52 shot attempts vs opponents getting 48 when he has a whopping 2 goals on the year. his offensive output ying-yangs year-in year-out it seems. this is a down one. it's nice being a defensive specialist, but when your top-6 goes cold, who is scoring? definitely not lowry this year. our bottom-6 might be the lowest scoring of the PO teams :dunno:

id run connor-dubois-svech till that goes cold basically. they didn't seem to be going cold any time soon. and even if they did go cold, they were dominating the shot and chance share, so i think any drought would have been short lived.

The Jets are middle of the pack in both GF and GA. they probably need help on both sides. Perfetti helps in GF in the bottom-6 if he's away from lowry. an average PK likely gets us top 10 in the GA department however that might be beyond maurices grasp this year. i think it's a system issue, not personnel. we've had revolving personnel over the years, and i believe all but 2 seasons the PK has been bottom 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsUK

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
so heinola (and no one else on the team for that matter) can move ppl in front of the net. and it seems like you don't care about puck-moving (which is paramount in playing less defense) or offensive out of the back-end. so basically no use for heinola, got it.

and you're basing this whole net-front thing on one game.... the Jets were out-classed every where this game. there were plenty of games they did fine in physicality/net-front. insertion of heinola doesn't help that game at all i dont think i ever said it would.

some of the most impactful dmen in the league are roughly the same size as heinola btw.

Lowry is definitely not underrated. and our team has been positive corsi as a whole so him being positive doesn't tell me much. lowry is a top-9 fwd and getting 15 mins a night, 2 goals/5 pts is pacing for under 8 goals/10 pts, this isn't enough.

look at TBL's third line past few years. you need 40ish pts from your 3rd line, and ontop of that they were an absolute buzz-saw with puck possession. So yes, both can be done congruently. and i really don't care if he has gets 52 shot attempts vs opponents getting 48 when he has a whopping 2 goals on the year. his offensive output ying-yangs year-in year-out it seems. this is a down one. it's nice being a defensive specialist, but when your top-6 goes cold, who is scoring? definitely not lowry this year. our bottom-6 might be the lowest scoring of the PO teams :dunno:

id run connor-dubois-svech till that goes cold basically. they didn't seem to be going cold any time soon. and even if they did go cold, they were dominating the shot and chance share, so i think any drought would have been short lived.

The Jets are middle of the pack in both GF and GA. they probably need help on both sides. Perfetti helps in GF in the bottom-6 if he's away from lowry. an average PK likely gets us top 10 in the GA department however that might be beyond maurices grasp this year. i think it's a system issue, not personnel. we've had revolving personnel over the years, and i believe all but 2 seasons the PK has been bottom 10.

You make some decent points but I still disagree.

For one you can't discount how much having 3 solid defense pairings helped Tampa produce some of the offense it created. If the Jets didn't have Lowry's defensive impact, I doubt our defensive pairings tread water. If I were showing video of the Jets it would be Lowry's defensive game. But one thing he has lost this year is speed from the wings, which is something you need to generate offense. I know it looks good on paper, put Stastny out there in the 3C spot, who is more of an offensive zone centre, and you have 3 offensive centres and one defensive centre. Well good chance you have more Scheifele like stats, heavy on the -, without Lowry's impact, which is moving the puck to the opposing zone, which is allowing the Jets more shots this year, in continuous attack.

What is killing the Jets is losing special teams battles game in, game out. They won that battle in Toronto, but for the most part you can expect at least one goal on the PK, maybe 2, and at best one on the PP. Usually a goose egg. And that's what counts in today's NHL. Canes are above the Jets in the standings, not because they have world beaters, but because they win the special teams battles.
I would agree that's a systems issue. Though last year, Jets had good personnel, and relatively good results. Albeit Canadian teams were not exactly gangbusters in terms of offensive systems, making the job easier.

But for me I'd like Lowry in that 3c spot, and Gustafsson in the 4c spot. So that the bottom lines are not giving up goals. Lockdown. And good defense they say produces offense. Jets top 6 should win games, especially if they get PP production.

I don't think Perfetti is the answer. I know more talent, but he's soft, and the Jets big problem is how soft they play at times. It's been their problem in the goal scoring slump. Not getting to the net, when teams play physical. Forcing outside shots.

A guy like Svetchnikov, I can get behind him. He's got half the points Scheifele does with almost half the ice time. He's a player who has shown he can play on scoring lines, and 4th lines and get results.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
You make some decent points but I still disagree.

For one you can't discount how much having 3 solid defense pairings helped Tampa produce some of the offense it created. If the Jets didn't have Lowry's defensive impact, I doubt our defensive pairings tread water. If I were showing video of the Jets it would be Lowry's defensive game. But one thing he has lost this year is speed from the wings, which is something you need to generate offense. I know it looks good on paper, put Stastny out there in the 3C spot, who is more of an offensive zone centre, and you have 3 offensive centres and one defensive centre. Well good chance you have more Scheifele like stats, heavy on the -, without Lowry's impact, which is moving the puck to the opposing zone, which is allowing the Jets more shots this year, in continuous attack.

What is killing the Jets is losing special teams battles game in, game out. They won that battle in Toronto, but for the most part you can expect at least one goal on the PK, maybe 2, and at best one on the PP. Usually a goose egg. And that's what counts in today's NHL. Canes are above the Jets in the standings, not because they have world beaters, but because they win the special teams battles.
I would agree that's a systems issue. Though last year, Jets had good personnel, and relatively good results. Albeit Canadian teams were not exactly gangbusters in terms of offensive systems, making the job easier.

But for me I'd like Lowry in that 3c spot, and Gustafsson in the 4c spot. So that the bottom lines are not giving up goals. Lockdown. And good defense they say produces offense. Jets top 6 should win games, especially if they get PP production.

I don't think Perfetti is the answer. I know more talent, but he's soft, and the Jets big problem is how soft they play at times. It's been their problem in the goal scoring slump. Not getting to the net, when teams play physical. Forcing outside shots.

A guy like Svetchnikov, I can get behind him. He's got half the points Scheifele does with almost half the ice time. He's a player who has shown he can play on scoring lines, and 4th lines and get results.

paul stastny rates absolutely fine defensively. he goes about it in different ways than lowry, but his defensive stats are usually solid. you want to flaunt lowry's corsi (where he ranks 12th of 18th skaters that have played 100 mins), stastny is top-3. our defensive personnel is solid now, not as great as TBLs for sure, but still good, and lowry is still on-pace for career lows. sorry, but you need offense out of your 3rd line not just a uni-dimensional defensive player. You can even look back at PIT.... they were winning cups with Bonino at 3c scoring essentially ~0.5 ppg, and their d group was not great either. Or WSH with Eller for example.

Yes Special teams is killing the Jets. notably on the PK. this is no secret.

Lowry-Gus as bottom 6 Cs you're basically 0 offense f(until Gus proves other wise in the nhl) for 2 lines.

Perfetti might or might not be the answer. no way of knowing until actually used with a bit more skill. the point is, you can see Seth Jarvis making every game contributions to Carolina. 10 pts in 17gp, that's more than Lowry, yikes. Or the kids on the Ducks. There's no reason he can be making contribution on this team either if used correctly and not with players that kill our own offense. this team is 15th in GF and 13th in GA they need help on both sides.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
paul stastny rates absolutely fine defensively. he goes about it in different ways than lowry, but his defensive stats are usually solid. you want to flaunt lowry's corsi (where he ranks 12th of 18th skaters that have played 100 mins), stastny is top-3. our defensive personnel is solid now, not as great as TBLs for sure, but still good, and lowry is still on-pace for career lows. sorry, but you need offense out of your 3rd line not just a uni-dimensional defensive player. You can even look back at PIT.... they were winning cups with Bonino at 3c scoring essentially ~0.5 ppg, and their d group was not great either. Or WSH with Eller for example.

Yes Special teams is killing the Jets. notably on the PK. this is no secret.

Lowry-Gus as bottom 6 Cs you're basically 0 offense f(until Gus proves other wise in the nhl) for 2 lines.

Perfetti might or might not be the answer. no way of knowing until actually used with a bit more skill. the point is, you can see Seth Jarvis making every game contributions to Carolina. 10 pts in 17gp, that's more than Lowry, yikes. Or the kids on the Ducks. There's no reason he can be making contribution on this team either if used correctly and not with players that kill our own offense. this team is 15th in GF and 13th in GA they need help on both sides.

Stastny got those points with offensive zone time. Look at his offensive zone time. And he was part of the successful Copp-Stastny-Ehlers line that got started this year, with Scheif and Wheels on Covid protocol. Stastny is not a great defensive zone centre, that's not what I have seen. Lowry is a great defensive player. Is he lacking in offense this year? Yes. I stated that I thought it was because he's been lacking speed from his wingers (last year it was Copp/Appleton), this year it's Stastny/Vesalainen (Vesalainen being the lowest Corsi forward on the team) now. It's been Stastny since Scheif and Wheeler came back. That's my opinion. We're allowed to disagree.

And I am glad for Jarvis, Mercer, all those guys who found spots. Jarvis gets 12 minutes plus PP time. When Pionk comes back there is no PP slots available. That's the pecking order.

Kid is going to have to wait his turn, when Stastny and Copp move on, lots of room to grow. And he'll be better with the extra year in the development league, when you count the final tally, and when it comes to negotiating the first RFA contract, in my opinion.

I'd really like to see us go strong and heavy up the middle, by adding Gus, behind Lowry, behind Dubois, and Scheifele. That's a Jets identity to me. Especially with a softer defense that gives up the net too easy, that centre support on stopping the cycle, and supporting breakouts is important.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I was responding to your post about our D being smashed the other night - and all I'm adding is that Ville wouldn't have helped that effort -
Stop assuming stuff - I didn't say anything about hating puck movers.
And yes, in my post, it's all based on one game - because I was referring to one game.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
My lineup for next game if I had a say...

KC PLD Svech
KV Scheif Ehlers
Copper Stastny Toni
Gus Lowry Hark

JMo Schmidt
Dillon DD
Stanimal Heinola (this line with very sheltered minutes)

Helle Comrie

PP1
PLD Scheif Ehlers KC Schmidt
PP2
Stastny Copper Lowry JMo Svech

PK1
Lowry Copper Dillon Stanimal
PK2
Svech Toni JMo DD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad