Line Combos: Roster 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Bring Beaulieu back into the lineup Jets were 6-1-2 with him in the lineup, and 7 defensemen. 11 forwards.

Losing record with 4 line hockey.

11 forwards, when at least 4 of them can play more minutes, double shift, gets the bench going. You get rewarded for playing good. Besides if the team is going to turtle when Domi is fighting you, what you going to do with Folignos, and Tkachuk and Lucic?
I think was just Domi going after someone who wouldn’t fight. Both Stanley and Lowry were in there, and Domi wanted no part of them. They weren’t gonna turtle.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think was just Domi going after someone who wouldn’t fight. Both Stanley and Lowry were in there, and Domi wanted no part of them. They weren’t gonna turtle.

Lowry picked a guy out of the pile who turtled. Stanley did try and get in, but I think maybe the hesitancy of being 3rd man in, down a goal, factored in some of the decisions. I'm not sure Stanley doesn't get hurt fighting Domi, his dad was one of the smartest fighter in hockey. I still think that incident gave the Jackets a spark, and sparked their crowd. I'd still put Beaulieu in, for these next 2 games. I think they will be tougher games. My vote would be to scratch Veslainen, who is playing well, but just not producing, as a motivator, and Nash. Add Stastny. Demote Harkins, who is also playing well, but not producing, to the 4th line.

Reactions: snowkiddin

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Okay, I’ll take the gazzilionth shot at a winning forward lineup:

KFC. Scheifele. Ehlers
Stastny. PLD. Svech
Copp. Lowry. Wheeler
Toni. Nash. Harkins

Reactions: Mbraunm

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i was all for giving wheeler a look next to PLD and Connor. PLD+KFC do most of the offensive driving for that line, even when Svech was there. They still rated well in the shot/quality chance share stats with wheeler..... but goals matter. and whether it be b/c of wheeler's inclusion or mere puck-luck, they are not going in. the whole team is cold right now though (some players for the entire year). but we saw wheeler there for a few games, hasn't worked. lets go back w/ svech please and get some mojo back.

Lowry is a top-9er. 2g in 18 gp simply is not good enough. harkins, 2gs in 18 gp - not good enough. Lowrys offense has been up and down for the past few years. last year he was up, guess this is a down one. when the top-6 is cold - which happens to teams - other lines need to help a bit, and we're getting nothing.

Nash+Ves....1 goal b/w them, they're 4th liners so low TOI but still..... Toninato 2 gs as well.

Scheifele+Wheeler 2gs between them too.....lol.

Get Stastny at 3C and run 3 scoring lines please. Perfetti on the wing and Wheeler on the other side.

connor-pld-svech
copp-scheifele-ehlers
perfetti-stastny-wheeler
gus-lowry-ves
QUOTING INTO EXISTENCE

Gosh can't believe we got shutout by Arizona

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
QUOTING INTO EXISTENCE

Gosh can't believe we got shutout by Arizona

Gus-Lowry-Ves has the potential to be one of the best 4th/3rds around. Size, deceptive speed, power, shooting, puck protection, strength along the boards, guile, and Gus/ Ves have been dynamite together on the Moose.

Maybe in 2-3 years, once they're vetty enough to be trusted on special teams.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Gus-Lowry-Ves has the potential to be one of the best 4th/3rds around. Size, deceptive speed, power, shooting, puck protection, strength along the boards, guile, and Gus/ Ves have been dynamite together on the Moose.

Maybe in 2-3 years, once they're vetty enough to be trusted on special teams.

4th* that can't be a 3rd line imo. you need more offense out of a top-9 line.

i really don't care who flanks Lowry. i think Gus just adds another FO option and perhaps a better PK player (although i believe our PK problems aren't personnel based).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ok it's time for three scoring lines and to call up the youth and play them:

Conner Dubois Svech (Go back to what worked)
Copp Scheifele Wheeler (Hopefully Mark gets going)
Perfetti Stastny Ehelers (time to bring up Cile and play him with a smart vet and a skilled shooter in Nik)
Gus Lowry Ves (Big physical grinding line)

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
This would be my line up for the next game...

KC PLD Svech
Perfetti Scheif Ehlers
Copper Stastny Wheeler
Toni Lowry KV

JMo DD
Dillon Pionk
Stanimal Schmidt

1PP
Perfetti KC Scheif Ehlers PLD

Reactions: Finster8

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Ok it's time for three scoring lines and to call up the youth and play them:

Conner Dubois Svech (Go back to what worked)
Copp Scheifele Wheeler (Hopefully Mark gets going)
Perfetti Stastny Ehelers (time to bring up Cile and play him with a smart vet and a skilled shooter in Nik)
Gus Lowry Ves (Nig physical grinding line)

We already have 3 scoring lines. If you have Stastny and Ehlers on your 3rd line that's a scoring line. And that line had some grade A chances. Now scoring that's another matter. They did score in Calgary to their credit.

As much as I'd like to see the kids get promoted, I wasn't at all impressed with Perfetti's lack of physical play when he did get the call up. And that's the problem that plagues the Jets minus a few players, Lowry, Stastny, Dubois. Wheeler actually had a physical game last game, and made some plays out of it too. But those 3 will go to the net. Everyone else will try to score from 15-25 feet out, between the circles or on the flank. Perfetti doesn't change that.

Gustafsson should have made the team out of camp, but Toninato seems to have that spot. And frankly if you are going to play the 4th line less than 5 minutes, I think Gus might as well stay on the Moose. I think Vesalainen and Gustafsson have chemistry though, so might be worth a try to bring him up, you already know you can demote Toninato.

Maybe another European might cheer up Ehlers. I'd like to see Heinola running the PP, but our big 3 on defense are set in their spots, and Stanley's spot is PK1, which Heinola can't fill.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
4th* that can't be a 3rd line imo. you need more offense out of a top-9 line.

i really don't care who flanks Lowry. i think Gus just adds another FO option and perhaps a better PK player (although i believe our PK problems aren't personnel based).

I'm not arguing for Gus-Lowry-Ves as a scoring line -- although they can and definitely will contribute -- but as a defensively sound power line that can match and often likely dominate their opposition with the minutes they're given, and also step in on special teams. Gus may or may not hit double digits in the NHL but he has scoring chops, and Ves def has potential to add a lot more offence once off the leash and with more then a few early-period shifts in a game.

IMO, obviously, but it's time to abandon the top/bottom 6 model and roll balanced lines as we were starting to do early on. We know Wheels has a lifejacket that will prevent him at all costs from sinking below the 3rd, and he's likely to be an asset on a strong 3rd line, so it's Lowry who settles there I guess.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm not arguing for Gus-Lowry-Ves as a scoring line -- although they can and definitely will contribute -- but as a defensively sound power line that can match and often likely dominate their opposition with the minutes they're given, and also step in on special teams. Gus may or may not hit double digits in the NHL but he has scoring chops, and Ves def has potential to add a lot more offence once off the leash and with more then a few early-period shifts in a game.

IMO, obviously, but it's time to abandon the top/bottom 6 model and roll balanced lines as we were starting to do early on. We know Wheels has a lifejacket that will prevent him from sinking below the 3rd, so it's Lowry I guess.

well being labeled as one of the best 3rd lines around, you're going to have to put the puck in the net. what made CLT so effective in 17-18 was that they score at 5v5 hockey ALONG with being great defensively. Ves and Lowry cant score this year, Gus i dont know if he's giving you 10+ goals (pace it over 82). i think that'd be a good 4th line for sure though.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We already have 3 scoring lines. If you have Stastny and Ehlers on your 3rd line that's a scoring line. And that line had some grade A chances. Now scoring that's another matter. They did score in Calgary to their credit.

As much as I'd like to see the kids get promoted, I wasn't at all impressed with Perfetti's lack of physical play when he did get the call up. And that's the problem that plagues the Jets minus a few players, Lowry, Stastny, Dubois. Wheeler actually had a physical game last game, and made some plays out of it too. But those 3 will go to the net. Everyone else will try to score from 15-25 feet out, between the circles or on the flank. Perfetti doesn't change that.

Gustafsson should have made the team out of camp, but Toninato seems to have that spot. And frankly if you are going to play the 4th line less than 5 minutes, I think Gus might as well stay on the Moose. I think Vesalainen and Gustafsson have chemistry though, so might be worth a try to bring him up, you already know you can demote Toninato.

Maybe another European might cheer up Ehlers. I'd like to see Heinola running the PP, but our big 3 on defense are set in their spots, and Stanley's spot is PK1, which Heinola can't fill.

I mean your basing your opinion on Cole on two games where he was feeling things out. He's been plenty physical in the AHL, winning battles and maintaining puck possession.

You have to let these kids get comfortable

Reactions: Finster8

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
well being labeled as one of the best 3rd lines around, you're going to have to put the puck in the net. what made CLT so effective in 17-18 was that they score at 5v5 hockey ALONG with being great defensively. Ves and Lowry cant score this year, Gus i dont know if he's giving you 10+ goals (pace it over 82). i think that'd be a good 4th line for sure though.

Sure, and I guess I wasn't clear. I meant 4th/3rd in terms of TOI given matchups and special teams duties, not that they're a top 9 scoring line, which I am absolutely NOT advocating for. I think that given time and space we get Armia + scoring numbers from Gus/Ves and that Lowry chips in at something like his usual rate. That line lacks a Perrault, but maybe we've drafted him and don't know it yet.

Another thing I am absolutely not advocating for is the present top 6/ checking/ whatever.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I mean your basing your opinion on Cole on two games where he was feeling things out. He's been plenty physical in the AHL, winning battles and maintaining puck possession.

Yeah. Cole is currently trending to be a top 10, maybe even top 5 forward in the AHL in terms of driving play and generating scoring chances. I don't see them bringing him up anytime soon, but we're looking at a shallow learning curve for him at this point.

With the recent islanding of Nash, it's beginning to seem like a no-brainer to waive him and call up Gus.

Reactions: surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Sure, and I guess I wasn't clear. I meant 4th/3rd in terms of TOI given matchups and special teams duties, not that they're a top 9 scoring line, which I am absolutely NOT advocating for. I think that given time and space we get Armia + scoring numbers from Gus/Ves and that Lowry chips in at something like his usual rate. That line lacks a Perrault, but maybe we've drafted him and don't know it yet.

Another thing I am absolutely not advocating for is the present top 6/ checking/ whatever.
yeah you weren't clear. and ok. i still don't think that line is good enough to be a 3rd line. I have 0 hope for the PK, this is system not personnel. Gus won't change life on it i think but can help a bit.

they should be rolling w/ the C depth of dubois-scheif-stastny-lowry. you have 3 lines C by players who can create offense. we have wingers now to support them too.

C depth is paramount to winning cups imo....TBL: Point/Cirelli or Stamkos/Gourde, PIT: Sid/Malkin/Bonino, WSH: Backs/Kuzy/Eller, even STL: ROR/Schenn/Bozak/Sunqvist/R.Thomas..... Lowry just isn't giving you anything this year on offense.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah. Cole is currently trending to be a top 10, maybe even top 5 forward in the AHL in terms of driving play and generating scoring chances. I don't see them bringing him up anytime soon, but we're looking at a shallow learning curve for him at this point.

With the recent islanding of Nash, it's beginning to seem like a no-brainer to waive him and call up Gus.

I agree that he's likely not up until the second half of the year but the kid figures things out quickly and I don't see that changing when he gets to the NHL level.

Reactions: JetsUK

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

That's good to hear. I am still hesitant though, because he's only 19. I'd expect him to mature at the same rate Scheifele did. By playing in the A, he might have an advantage in being more prepared, but I feel like next year is his year.

I'd like to see Vesalainen-Gustafsson-Reichel as a line this year. That's all prospects that are mature. They were good as a line on the Moose, so the progression and chemistry is natural. If a top forward goes down I'd like to see Perfetti get another look, but I still think he's not an improvement over anyone in our current top 9, imo.

Reactions: JetsUK

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
yeah you weren't clear. and ok. i still don't think that line is good enough to be a 3rd line. I have 0 hope for the PK, this is system not personnel. Gus won't change life on it i think but can help a bit.

they should be rolling w/ the C depth of dubois-scheif-stastny-lowry. you have 3 lines C by players who can create offense. we have wingers now to support them too.

C depth is paramount to winning cups imo....TBL: Point/Cirelli or Stamkos/Gourde, PIT: Sid/Malkin/Bonino, WSH: Backs/Kuzy/Eller, even STL: ROR/Schenn/Bozak/Sunqvist/R.Thomas..... Lowry just isn't giving you anything this year on offense.

It's funny though because I think if we used Lowry on the PP he'd get points. And it's hard to argue that Lowry doesn't consistently win matchups. I wonder why Maurice won't go back to Lowry-Copp when he is trying to get 3 lines rolling. If there was ever a momentum line in the Jets 2.0 history, that's 2/3 of it.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It's funny though because I think if we used Lowry on the PP he'd get points. And it's hard to argue that Lowry doesn't consistently win matchups. I wonder why Maurice won't go back to Lowry-Copp when he is trying to get 3 lines rolling. If there was ever a momentum line in the Jets 2.0 history, that's 2/3 of it.
yea if you put players on the PP the likelihood of them getting points is higher (except Riley Nash lol)

this team has 9 GF in the last 7 gp. he has 2 goals in 22 gp as an everyday top-9er. shot/chance share stats are nice, but goals are nicer.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
That's good to hear. I am still hesitant though, because he's only 19. I'd expect him to mature at the same rate Scheifele did. By playing in the A, he might have an advantage in being more prepared, but I feel like next year is his year.

I'd like to see Vesalainen-Gustafsson-Reichel as a line this year. That's all prospects that are mature. They were good as a line on the Moose, so the progression and chemistry is natural. If a top forward goes down I'd like to see Perfetti get another look, but I still think he's not an improvement over anyone in our current top 9, imo.

I'd have Cole as a few years ahead of Scheif in terms of NHL readiness, given how quickly he reads the game and adapts to new levels of competition. Unless he experiences a sudden late growth spurt he's going to be a smaller player whose physical maturity will be about adding core strength and perhaps some mass, but it's a matter of months, not years, until he's played himself out of the AHL, I suspect. Whether he gets called up and how much he'll contribute is another question, but no way he's with the Moose another year, IMO, and I'd say the same for Heinola. These guys are both string-pullers and play drivers of exceptional ability, and when they're on the ice are literally always with or on the puck. They will absolutely be treading water on the Moose sooner rather than later, and my sense is that high-end players should be playing to the maximum level of competition that they're comfortable in and aren't struggling with.

Agree with you about that Moose line transitioning pretty naturally to the Jets, although I think it also works with either Harkins or DomTon. No need for Nash at this point -- like, none at all.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
KC PLD Svech
KV Scheif Ehlers
Hark Stastny Wheeler
Copp Lowry Svech

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd have Cole as a few years ahead of Scheif in terms of NHL readiness, given how quickly he reads the game and adapts to new levels of competition. Unless he experiences a sudden late growth spurt he's going to be a smaller player whose physical maturity will be about adding core strength and perhaps some mass, but it's a matter of months, not years, until he's played himself out of the AHL, I suspect. Whether he gets called up and how much he'll contribute is another question, but no way he's with the Moose another year, IMO, and I'd say the same for Heinola. These guys are both string-pullers and play drivers of exceptional ability, and when they're on the ice are literally always with or on the puck. They will absolutely be treading water on the Moose sooner rather than later, and my sense is that high-end players should be playing to the maximum level of competition that they're comfortable in and aren't struggling with.

Agree with you about that Moose line transitioning pretty naturally to the Jets, although I think it also works with either Harkins or DomTon. No need for Nash at this point -- like, none at all.

I'd be really surprised if the Jets burned a year on his ELC at this point. Maybe the pressure is on with the success some of the 19 year olds are having in this draft class. But waiting an extra year takes him out of that big offseason, where Wheeler, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Dillon, De Melo all hit UFA. To keep Scheif and Hellebuck, probably negates both of those d-men's contracts. How much of Wheeler's salary is Perfetti going to take up at 22, especially the way players are getting paid after their ELC's?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd be really surprised if the Jets burned a year on his ELC at this point. Maybe the pressure is on with the success some of the 19 year olds are having in this draft class. But waiting an extra year takes him out of that big offseason, where Wheeler, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Dillon, De Melo all hit UFA. To keep Scheif and Hellebuck, probably negates both of those d-men's contracts. How much of Wheeler's salary is Perfetti going to take up at 22, especially the way players are getting paid after their ELC's?
I’m an outlier on here but really think Stan can replace Dillion without losing a beat. Then Heinola up. Wheeler shouldn’t get another big pay check from us. Still a lot of big pieces to workout that year. Demelo can be replaced with kov and a solid piece on other side like Samberg heinola.
Hopefully we can move from schief and run Perfetti Dubois as schief Will want lots of back pay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad