Winnipeg
Getting locked in...
CSW
Copp-Doob-Ehlers
Stats-Lowry-Ves(?)
Harkins-Nash-Svech(?)
Toninato
Looks about right to me.

If Svech impressed and Ves disappointed last night maybe they should be switched. Would Stats - Lowry - Svech be too slow?

Is Gus destined to be a callup this season or does he have a shot at winning a spot?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Like to see Perfetti replace Copp.

Copp has no finish. He had what 9-10 chances on great set ups and couldn’t score…..story of his career.
Sure, but Perfetti is not as likely to get the opportunities that Copp gets due to his size and speed. Also, Perfetti's line was hemmed in their own zone a bit too much for my liking last night. That isn't all his fault, playing with AHLers, but it is an important consideration.

By the way, Copp was #5 among the Jets' forwards in goals/60 last season (all situations), but his shooting percentage at 5v5 was mediocre.

Reactions: Jack7222

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Sure, but Perfetti is not as likely to get the opportunities that Copp gets due to his size and speed. Also, Perfetti's line was hemmed in their own zone a bit too much for my liking last night. That isn't all his fault, playing with AHLers, but it is an important consideration.

By the way, Copp was #5 among the Jets' forwards in goals/60 last season (all situations), but his shooting percentage at 5v5 was mediocre.

Disagree. Copp is nothing special.I’m tired of hearing about his potential.

For the ice time he get ts and the number of chances he gets, he should score more. But he doesn’t, because his shot is crap.

Perfetti generates high chance plays.
Copp wastes the chances.

of it was my team Copp on the 4th and PK.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I only saw two shifts that they were hemmed in. They had a few shifts where they were in the Ottawa zone for a lengthy amount of time as well so it evened out imo.

Anyhow it was a good first showing to build off of.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

For the ice time he get ts and the number of chances he gets, he should score more. But he doesn’t, because his shot is crap.

Copp wastes the chances.

Who says anything about Copp's potential? He is what he is at this point. But he's an excellent player who does so many things well... he just doesn't have good finish. You have to sometimes back up and ask yourself why Copp is constantly getting into these positions where his line is generating so much; he has a pretty big effect on that IMO.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Given Copp's deficiencies as a finisher, I'm not sure our 2nd line of Copp-PLD-Ehlers is optimal. Those are three players who all are arguably better at driving the play than they are at finishing. Meanwhile, we have the opposite situation on the first line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Who says anything about Copp's potential? He is what he is at this point. But he's an excellent player who does so many things well... he just doesn't have good finish. You have to sometimes back up and ask yourself why Copp is constantly getting into these positions where his line is generating so much; he has a pretty big effect on that IMO.

He is a very smart player that does the little things well. He is playing with two high end first line offensive play drivers that take the attention of the opposition which gives him extra space to operate in. He's smart enough to take advantage of that extra space, he just has a very mediocre shot and finishing ability. Not a bad complimentary player but that line is likely going to need to be a volume shooting line to score a lot as Ehelers is a volume scorer and Dubois probably the same.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
since copp-stastny-ehlers was probably our best line last year, PLD should be a noticeable upgrade with his inclusion.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Not worried about Copp... at least he’s shooting - PLD still needs to get shoot first into his head

Still say a talent fourth line of perfetti-stats-Ves would work really well

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Given Copp's deficiencies as a finisher, I'm not sure our 2nd line of Copp-PLD-Ehlers is optimal. Those are three players who all are arguably better at driving the play than they are at finishing. Meanwhile, we have the opposite situation on the first line.
Copp should stick with Lowry since Moe won't stack our C's

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Dubois Stastny
Copp Lowry Vesalainen
Harkins Nash Svechnikov

Toninato comes in for a winger injury, Gustafsson comes in if a C goes down.

A shame that Stastny will be on the wing since he's our best faceoff guy but it sure is nice to have too many good centres for a change. I know people weren't pleased with Ves last night but I can't see him starting on the fourth line. He'll probably be above Svech

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Not worried about Copp... at least he’s shooting - PLD still needs to get shoot first into his head

Still say a talent fourth line of perfetti-stats-Ves would work really well
Still say Ves shouldn't be in the starting line up. Would rather go perfetti-stas- Svech.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Copp wastes the chances.

Not about potential, he scored at a 22 goal pace last season. That's fine for a strong defensive forward.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Copp should stick with Lowry since Moe won't stack our C's

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Dubois Stastny
Copp Lowry Vesalainen
Harkins Nash Svechnikov

Toninato comes in for a winger injury, Gustafsson comes in if a C goes down.

A shame that Stastny will be on the wing since he's our best faceoff guy but it sure is nice to have too many good centres for a change. I know people weren't pleased with Ves last night but I can't see him starting on the fourth line. He'll probably be above Svech
Just a reminder that Copp had more goals and 10 more points than Stastny last season.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not about potential, he scored at a 22 goal pace last season. That's fine for a strong defensive forward.

That was also a career year for him with a career high shooting % with a crazy shooting percentage on the pp.

I'm very skeptical he can keep it up. He may not need to though if Dubois and Ehelers take off together and he just does some of the grunt work on the line.

Not really a fan of Stastny in that spot either at this point in his career.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That was also a career year for him with a career high shooting % with a crazy shooting percentage on the pp.

I'm very skeptical he can keep it up. He may not need to though if Dubois and Ehelers take off together and he just does some of the grunt work on the line.

Not really a fan of Stastny in that spot either at this point in his career.
That line might not score as much with Copp, but neither will their opposition.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if you're substance over style, you'll be a fan of copp

he shot a high % at 5v5 on the pp.... he also was not playing with Lowry for some time, and was with top-6 calibre linemates like Ehlers/Ststny at 5v5 so id expect a higher 5v5 sh% for sure.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I think the organization wants to develop Gus and Cole as true centers that can step in to the spot and succeed. Both most likely start the year as the 1/2 Centers for the Moose and spend most of their seasons there minus injuries.

Thought Cole looked good last night, and maybe he changes their thought process through preseason

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

Yeah…. That’s a single season….a crazy weird single season with no real comprables…. And Copp Had a career high shooting percentage…doubtful he keeps it up.

if he can I’ll be extremely happy,. I see how good he is away from the puck…

But last night, with the setups he had…. Yeah he should have had at least one…. And it just looked like the same old player who can do everything but shoot and score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad