New York Islanders: Ross Johnston agreed to terms on a four-year contract ($1.1M AAV)

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
What's your issue with the deal? What does it prevent the team from doing?

You realize that the entire salary can be buried in the minors and has zero cap implications, just like his current deal. It also means a team is much less likely to claim him off waivers if they want to send him down. So again, what's the problem?
You really think I care if someone claims Ross Johnston off waivers??!!! Come on the guy is worthless. If he is ever playing a regular shift on a nightly basis then the team is in trouble. I dont care about salary, it is there is no reason to commit 4 years to a worthless plug.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
You really think I care if someone claims Ross Johnston off waivers??!!! Come on the guy is worthless. If he is ever playing a regular shift on a nightly basis then the team is in trouble. I dont care about salary, it is there is no reason to commit 4 years to a worthless plug.
With this concept of team building, perhaps you should root for the Leafs and Dubas…

I think most of us recognize this for what it is - a savvy way to retain quality depth that plays a role (enforcer, deterrent, 4th line backup) at basically a cap-neutral rate that effectively becomes waiver-proof. The team’s mgmt values specific roles and depth in those roles.

As Beacon Isles said, Lou is basically creating his own waiver-proof taxi squad. Personally, I think it’s a smart, cheap way to have more depth.

Not sure why any of this is an issue. It’s good “asset management”.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
He also brings a wicked shot to that fourth line. Love Martin and Zeeker, but neither of them have a terribly good shot

His shot seems to be better this season. I assume he has either regained some feeling in his fingers or found a way to compensate. Either way, I hope it will continue and Clutter can pot some unexpected goals.

Reactions: MJF

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
In isolation, four years for Ross is way too much, but it's cheap protection for Barzal and other skill players. With this deal he can be sent through waivers and it won't hurt the cap, so there's little to no risk for the Isles. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see him waived pretty soon to be replaced by someone who'll play more regularly. He'll be brought back up to play the Rags, Caps etc.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Has/can Ross play RW at all? I could easily see him being a replacement for Clutterbuck after this season. Similar players in the sense that they’re both physical enforcer types who aren’t plugs offensively.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What's your issue with the deal? What does it prevent the team from doing?

You realize that the entire salary can be buried in the minors and has zero cap implications, just like his current deal. It also means a team is much less likely to claim him off waivers if they want to send him down. So again, what's the problem?
But...but...we're paying someone who sucks

Reactions: Throttle

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
With this concept of team building, perhaps you should root for the Leafs and Dubas…

I think most of us recognize this for what it is - a savvy way to retain quality depth that plays a role (enforcer, deterrent, 4th line backup) at basically a cap-neutral rate that effectively becomes waiver-proof. The team’s mgmt values specific roles and depth in those roles.

As Beacon Isles said, Lou is basically creating his own waiver-proof taxi squad. Personally, I think it’s a smart, cheap way to have more depth.

Not sure why any of this is an issue. It’s good “asset management”.
The bolded is it in a nutshell.

I guess having "glue guys" and "guys who are good in the room" is a concept that evades some people around here. Just as they never grasped why Leo Komarov was a necessary investment 4 years ago when we still had trouble getting outsiders to play here. All they see is that "this guy sucks". And "if he can't score he shouldn't be here".

Players like these fill a role on the Islanders. And I think it just shows how far the franchise has come that we can fill the depth roles without having to make a hair on fire trade if Cizikas, Pageau, Clutterbuck or Martin get hurt and have to miss several games this year.

Reactions: Seph and notDatsyuk

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
His shot seems to be better this season. I assume he has either regained some feeling in his fingers or found a way to compensate. Either way, I hope it will continue and Clutter can pot some unexpected goals.
Clutterbuck has always had a good wrister. You're probably right that injuries have hampered his ability to use it.

Reactions: danteipp

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Someone explain to me why Lou cannot let any player walk in free agency. Not everyone needs to be resigned.

Doesn't significantly alter the direction of the team one way or the other, but to me a waste of money for a guy who cannot play hockey. Considering we'll probably be up against the cap for years to come would rather be keeping any amount of money open to improve the team. Heck - I'd rather have those vets at the end of their careers like Parise, Chara, or Corey Perry who bring leadership and playoff experience for the same price as what we just "wasted" on Johnston who brings little to a team trying to win a Cup.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

You've once again managed to not explain why it's a problem. Lamoriello "committed" four years to a "worthless plug" that doesn't actually prevent Lamoriello from doing anything else, including getting rid of that plug by burying him in the AHL for his full salary.

So once again I ask, why is this a problem?

Someone explain to me why Lou cannot let any player walk in free agency. Not everyone needs to be resigned.

Doesn't significantly alter the direction of the team one way or the other, but to me a waste of money for a guy who cannot play hockey. Considering we'll probably be up against the cap for years to come would rather be keeping any amount of money open to improve the team. Heck - I'd rather have those vets at the end of their careers like Parise, Chara, or Corey Perry who bring leadership and playoff experience for the same price as what we just "wasted" on Johnston who brings little to a team trying to win a Cup.

Waste of what money? He won't count against the cap if he's buried so the only "waste" is for the owners. I don't think they give a shit about wasting $400K at the moment.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

I agree with your first comment and I can’t help but think about Clutter in that regard.

Cal is a heart and soul guy but it’s time to cut bait after this season. Way too much risk in the form of potential injury and/or declining skills.

As for Ross, it’s not my $ and if he can be buried in the AHL without consequences to the NHL cap then why not? He’s an insurance policy for Martin but I have no illusions that he can equal Matty’s skill or leadership.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
but to me a waste of money for a guy who cannot play hockey
Not sure to what extent that's even true, but Johnston doesn't need to play much hockey to earn a contract barely above the league minimum. He can just be there and have an impact, like Frank Pentangeli's brother from Sicily in The Godfather.

2061440291-3434f0f0ff1b16f23396da400f9aec9b.jpg

Reactions: periferal

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS

Can someone explain to me why people outside of the room question a move that has virtually 0 impact on the cap and locks up a valuable depth piece that is known to the mgmt and plays a specific role. Not every depth move needs to be questioned. ;)

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Yeah, it's a real shame how Johnston's contract prevents us from signing guys like Parise or Chara.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Can someone explain to me why people outside of the room question a move that has virtually 0 impact on the cap and locks up a valuable depth piece that is known to the mgmt and plays a specific role. Not every depth move needs to be questioned. ;)

Because I’m furious that Lou is spending other people’s money!

Also I hate that the Isles are not doing what is conventionally popular on HFBoards!

Draft first overall picks, sign them to big contracts as RFAs and back fill the rest of the roster. Then justify the playoff failures on the opponent’s unsustainable luck! ANGERrrrrrr!

:sarcasm:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
So, if 4-5 regulars go out with COVID and the Isles still have to play the games, Ross can slide right in a play with Trotz fulling knowing what he can/can't do. No different than Dal Colle, etc. Its a smart depth move since BST is thin and Lou/Trotz want confidence that players can slide right in the role they are asked w/o some random wildcard skating around the ice. You would think a SC winning coach and multi-SC winning GM would want to proactively play the depth move due to COVID, condensed schedule, and possible injuries. [But I wanted Corey Perry for that role!!!! Senile Lou].

Reactions: doublechili and JKP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad