New York Islanders: Ross Johnston agreed to terms on a four-year contract ($1.1M AAV)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
not my money Good job Ross the boss. Now set up your family please and protect that eye big man .
That's exactly right - the only issue here is real life cash that ownership is committing. If they're cool with it, so be it.

We don't have the luxury of committing real money to him, but all things equal, I'd rather have Ross here than somewhere else. Having a tough guy like him who can play the game is an asset.

I hope Barry gives him every 4th or 5th game, at minimum this year. 82 games is tough sledding and having your guys get an occasional day off is a big help.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Wow, I thought this thread was a bump when I saw the 4 year deal. I like it. Ross has made a good career for himself. Even if he spends 90% of the time, he’s still making loot. He’s a good player to have. I’d rather see him here than anywhere else.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I’m guessing he is set to be Martin’s replacement in a year or two.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Lou must think fighting will still be allowed for 4 more years.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
All I can say is this is mind boggling. With Matt Martin signed for another 2 years, why would we need to commit 4 years to this guy who does not even play. Absurd deal.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
All I can say is this is mind boggling. With Matt Martin signed for another 2 years, why would we need to commit 4 years to this guy who does not even play. Absurd deal.
I'm trying to decide whether to trust you or Lou Lams and Trotz. Let me think about it a while and I'll get back to you nevermindobviouslyit'slouandtrotz.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I'm trying to decide whether to trust you or Lou Lams and Trotz. Let me think about it a while and I'll get back to you nevermindobviouslyit'slouandtrotz.
Name one other team in the league that commits to 4 year deals regularly with guys the likes of Ross Johnston and Leo Komarov?

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Love Ross. Happy for him. Another Maritimer on my fav team for a while more. Anyone complaining about this can’t do math. As said above, not your money, has minimal impact on the cap (zero in the minors). Love the cash being invested by ownership. This is what real franchises do - invest in depth.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

What's your issue with the deal? What does it prevent the team from doing?

You realize that the entire salary can be buried in the minors and has zero cap implications, just like his current deal. It also means a team is much less likely to claim him off waivers if they want to send him down. So again, what's the problem?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

You realize that the entire salary can be buried in the minors and has zero cap implications, just like his current deal. It also means a team is much less likely to claim him off waivers if they want to send him down. So again, what's the problem?
Someone has to watch out for the bank accounts of those poor billionaires.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

I posted this on the main board - its like Lou is basically creating a waivers-proof "taxi squad" of bottom six guys that can be buried in part or in whole as needed, but who do have some particular set of skills they value.

Im not going to lose sleep over Ross playing here until 31 making $400K a year over the minimum salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad