Eklund Rumor: ROR for Hamilton (BUF/CGY)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Look, the brass tax is just that there's no chance the flames are trading Hamilton straight up for ROR. If Buffalo wants Hamilton (all indications in every rumor are that the interest generated from that end) then they will have to sweeten the pot. I have yet to see a Buffalo fan admit or propose anything that recognizes this, meanwhile we have been happy to outline what we think a fair proposal would look like. If y'all are dead set in not adding to him, then I'm sorry to tell you you're not likely to see him traded for anything of significant value. I believe the current media speculation is that he's worth a 2nd rounder on his own, contract considered.

2qveeqq.jpg

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Look, the brass tax is just that there's no chance the flames are trading Hamilton straight up for ROR. If Buffalo wants Hamilton (all indications in every rumor are that the interest generated from that end) then they will have to sweeten the pot. I have yet to see a Buffalo fan admit or propose anything that recognizes this, meanwhile we have been happy to outline what we think a fair proposal would look like. If y'all are dead set in not adding to him, then I'm sorry to tell you you're not likely to see him traded for anything of significant value. I believe the current media speculation is that he's worth a 2nd rounder on his own, contract considered.

Where do you see his value as a 2nd rounder?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
The difference being the Sabres seem to he orettp actively shopping ROR and all reports have stated the Flames don't want to move Hamilton. If someone wants Hamilton, they'll have to pony up something that will hurt.
Fantasy. Literally every report says Sabres are listening, and would trade him for the right price, but intend to keep him. I retesting generated from perception he's unhappy. That's all

Reactions: normaliswear

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Not sure Hamilton is the right fit with RH Ristolainen on the club, unless Risto is moved for another forward. There's only 1 puck to go around and Ristolainen, Dahlin and Hamilton would all be fighting for PP minutes and top minutes overall. I think the Sabres would be better off trading O'Reilly for a stud winger or a higher-end, defensive DMan.

The Wizz

Nov 3, 2015
Not sure Hamilton is the right fit with RH Ristolainen on the club, unless Risto is moved for another forward. There's only 1 puck to go around and Ristolainen, Dahlin and Hamilton would all be fighting for PP minutes and top minutes overall. I think the Sabres would be better off trading O'Reilly for a stud winger or a higher-end, defensive DMan.

Adding Hamilton gives the Sabres a veteran top two that can FINALLY shelter Ristolainen and give him the chance to build his confidence and keep Dahlin out of the top pair for his first year or so.

But like I've said, this trade only makes sense if the Sabres land Tavares or another veteran 2C in free agency.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Ryan O'Reilly has been the defacto #1 centre on one of the worst teams in the league, putting up mediocre to poor advanced stats and reasonable offensive production (pretty lacklustre when compared to other teams, but obviously some of that has to do with your crap forward ranks). He also has an arguably albatross contract that extends for 5 more years.

He's posted pretty solid numbers once you adjust for how bad his team is and his zone starts vs the other centres.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
In a vacuum, yes this is fair. Given contract and age, absolutely not.

Hamilton is a defenceman. They peak later. He's also 2.5 years younger than ROR. Hamilton seems to be getting better and better. He will be a top pairing d-man for the next 8-=10 years. ROR, is 27, which is when forwards leave their prime. ROR will still be a great player for the next 3 years. However, once he's on the other side of 30, he'll begin to decline. This move would be too shortsighted. Quite frankly, Dougie Hamilton is not the type of player you trade. He's the type of player you build a d-core around.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Those numbers come from an extremely flawed model and a the primary reason that ROR is up there with those players is because he wins a lot of face offs doesn’t take many penalties. The only thing he does as well as the rest of these actually elite players is not take penalties and win face offs. Those traits are nowhere near as valuable as the elite offensive production of 19 other players on that list that he can’t match.
Shouting "do your research" and posting that chart as the findings of "research" is just delicious

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Eventhough Calgary would lose the trade, it's still close and I could see a 1 for 1 happen

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Wasnt hamilton aquired for mid 1st and 2 2bds while ROR cost 2 recent mid 1st as recent hi 2nd and unused hi 2nd

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Shouting "do your research" and posting that chart as the findings of "research" is just delicious
So you think O'Reilly's possession stats, particularly his shot suppression numbers are less important than his point totals? That's cool. It's a lot easier to look at something like GAR than it is to go into every single detailed chart showing how valuable O'Reilly is. I have, but I don't feel like writing a f***ing essay. So you can take your glib remarks, and go find any of the literally thousands of posts showing how valuable O'Reilly is.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
ROR+ Guhle+ Marcus Davidsson for Hamilton and Jankowski?

Edit: maybe for those that are high on Guhle including myself may think it seems like a bit much, but i think jankowski is a perfect big bodied 3c and dougie hamiltons dont exactly grow on trees.

Dahlin-Hamilton
Scandella-Risto

is a hell of a top 4 D core to have behind Eichel, Mittelstadt, Reinhart, okposo, pommer......man the sabres need to get some LW'ers.....and some better RW'ers lol

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wasnt hamilton aquired for mid 1st and 2 2bds while ROR cost 2 recent mid 1st as recent hi 2nd and unused hi 2nd
What's your point? Previous trade value means absolutely nothing

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
To be fair, Forsberg returned Erat......Hall/Larsson. Pretty sure each one of those players are valued very differently right now.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
So you think O'Reilly's possession stats, particularly his shot suppression numbers are less important than his point totals? That's cool. It's a lot easier to look at something like GAR than it is to go into every single detailed chart showing how valuable O'Reilly is. I have, but I don't feel like writing a ****ing essay. So you can take your glib remarks, and go find any of the literally thousands of posts showing how valuable O'Reilly is.
I think O'Reilly is incredibly valuable. He's a lot more valuable to a hockey team than GAR is to somebody trying to quantify that value. But he's not quite as valuable as Dougie Hamilton.

People worship statistics with dreadful regression analyses and act like they're the smartest f***ing people on the planet and it's hysterical.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Players values change over time.

ROR was a forward in his prime, who has now lost 2 prime years.

Dougie, when he was traded, was a developing defenceman, who is just entering his prime now. He's developed into or beyond expectations. Whoever acquires him would get a top pairing d-man who will play at that level for the next 8 years or so.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Edit: maybe for those that are high on Guhle including myself may think it seems like a bit much, but i think jankowski is a perfect big bodied 3c and dougie hamiltons dont exactly grow on trees.

Dahlin-Hamilton
Scandella-Risto

is a hell of a top 4 D core to have behind Eichel, Mittelstadt, Reinhart, okposo, pommer......man the sabres need to get some LW'ers.....and some better RW'ers lol
Flames don't touch that

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Dahlin-Hamilton
Scandella-Risto

You take a deal (ROR for DH) that the Flames don't want. Then you expect the Flames to add one of their most promising young forwards, that they've spent years developing, to the deal? The Flames have plenty of better defensive prospects than Guhle, and they already have a log jam to find playing time for them on the bottom pairing. Guhle has no value to the Flames.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I think O'Reilly is incredibly valuable. He's a lot more valuable to a hockey team than GAR is to somebody trying to quantify that value. But he's not quite as valuable as Dougie Hamilton.

People worship statistics with dreadful regression analyses and act like they're the smartest ****ing people on the planet and it's hysterical.
Well who the f*** did anything like that in this sub thread? I believe O'Reilly is a top 15 centetman in this league and by far the most effective player on the Sabres. I think Dougie Hamilton is a very good defenseman who gets sheltered by the veteran defensive dmen on his team. So who's hard to find? An all situations centetman who dominates faceoffs, scores and sets up, and is an elite dzone player, or a sheltered offensive defensmen who plays middle pairing minutes. And people use stats to make an argument because without data, it's just morons screaming at each other.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
ROR literally solves nothing for Calgary. Nada. Zilch. Zero.
That's not true though. He would be a great addition to the team. Can never have enough C depth. Would be perfect on the second line. Push Backlund to 3rd line.... Keep Bennett on the wing.

I just wouldn't do Hamilton 1 for 1 for him.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
If the Flames and the Sabres can make a deal around Hamilton+ for ROR+ Risto I would do it. How big does that + have to be? Can ROR be had without Hamilton? Fox++?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad