Eklund Rumor: ROR for Hamilton (BUF/CGY)

Allhailtheleafs

Feb 18, 2018
Saying "yes way" does not a point make- defend yourself!

Hamilton was the highest goal scoring defenseman in the league this year. He has three straight years of incredible advanced stats and possession metrics, while producing in the top-10 points from a defender range. He has a value contract for 3 more seasons.

Ryan O'Reilly has been the defacto #1 centre on one of the worst teams in the league, putting up mediocre to poor advanced stats and reasonable offensive production (pretty lacklustre when compared to other teams, but obviously some of that has to do with your crap forward ranks). He also has an arguably albatross contract that extends for 5 more years.

Position, Dougie has more value. Age, Dougie has more value. Points performance relative to peers, Dougie has more value. Contract, Dougie has more value.

Their value isn't close. Add to that that the flames have absolutely no impetus to trade Hamilton, someone will need to overpay to get him. Come with Risto and ROR and we'll start talking what to add on our end.

Albatross contract? He's 28. I'm not a sabres fan. The guy is an elite 2 way centre. he dominates the face off circle, and is a defensive beast.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Do you honestly believe that?
DfCibcPU0AAGKxw

Yes. For God's sake, do some research before You post.

Reactions: krt88nc

The Wizz

Nov 3, 2015
Only way I see this is if Buffalo lands Tavares. I can't imagine creating that big of hole in Buffalo's center spine to make this trade after winning the lottery.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Lol not even close.

I would only bite if it's something like Hamilton+Janko/Bennett for ROR+Ristolainen. We upgrade at centre, you upgrade at defense.

I heard Boston traded Hamilton to get him out of the locker room. Others have said he is a "little off".
Any rumors in Calgary?

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I can't see the Flames making a deal like this until they see what happens with Tavares.

Obviously they are a long shot, but if he makes it to UFA, which looks likely now, they will most assuredly make a huge pitch for him along with at least 20 others.

If that fails, then they will probably look to shore up the center ice position via trade.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Hamilton for 15 OA and two seconds was one of the biggest fleecings in recent memory. While his value isn't close to the "20 1sts" that Brian Burke loved to tout when he was here, he's worth considerably more than what the Flames paid for him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I heard Boston traded Hamilton to get him out of the locker room. Others have said he is a "little off".
Any rumors in Calgary?

No, he's just simply our best trading piece if we wanted an elite forward coming back. I am sure he is doing fine and may have not gotten along with management in Boston (honestly have no idea what had happened down there), but he is a lot better over here. It is mentioned that Treliving is simply gauging the value of Hamilton on the market in case he does feel the need to trade Hamilton for overpayment.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Speaking as someone who thinks ROR is a fantastic center and one of the top 5 underrated players in this league, I would still not trade Hamilton for him. Very short list of players I would trade him for at all. Young top pairing dmen that produce at the rates Dougie has are incredibly rare.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
ROR instantly becomes the Flames 1C and best overall player but somehow isn't worth Hamilton :laugh:

RoR alone or no deal. Won't be hard to find another #2-3 dman under 27 that we could get for RoR.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pre Dahlin win I could see it. Don’t know about post Dahlin. It’s opening a major hole to fill another.

Good value though.
Is it a major hole with Mittlestadt coming into the lineup next season? From a defensive POV, it would be. Still have Reinhart who is a C to go along with Eichel.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Is it a major hole with Mittlestadt coming into the lineup next season? From a defensive POV, it would be. Still have Reinhart who is a C to go along with Eichel.

It is. A rookie shouldn't get that kind of heavy lifting on any team, much less a 31st place team who hasn't found its footing.

We've made the mistake of rushing people in roles above their head too much this decade.

Reactions: dasaybz

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
DfCibcPU0AAGKxw

Yes. For God's sake, do some research before You post.

Those numbers come from an extremely flawed model and a the primary reason that ROR is up there with those players is because he wins a lot of face offs doesn’t take many penalties. The only thing he does as well as the rest of these actually elite players is not take penalties and win face offs. Those traits are nowhere near as valuable as the elite offensive production of 19 other players on that list that he can’t match.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Saying "yes way" does not a point make- defend yourself!

Hamilton was the highest goal scoring defenseman in the league this year. He has three straight years of incredible advanced stats and possession metrics, while producing in the top-10 points from a defender range. He has a value contract for 3 more seasons.

Ryan O'Reilly has been the defacto #1 centre on one of the worst teams in the league, putting up mediocre to poor advanced stats and reasonable offensive production (pretty lacklustre when compared to other teams, but obviously some of that has to do with your crap forward ranks). He also has an arguably albatross contract that extends for 5 more years.

Position, Dougie has more value. Age, Dougie has more value. Points performance relative to peers, Dougie has more value. Contract, Dougie has more value.

Their value isn't close. Add to that that the flames have absolutely no impetus to trade Hamilton, someone will need to overpay to get him. Come with Risto and ROR and we'll start talking what to add on our end.

Just a small correction here - Hamilton was TIED as the highest goal scoring defenseman, with two other defensemen.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Any rumors in Calgary?
None at all. The closest to a rumor is Calgary doesn't want to move Hamilton but as any good GM would do, they will gauge market value.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sabres fans won't like it (and I don't blame them), but the only way I would entertain a Hamilton/ROR swap was if Reinhart was also coming back to Calgary.

Reactions: MoneyHandsMonahan

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I was thinking ROR+Nylander for Hamilton+Bennet before Dahlin.

I’d still do it after, but the impetus isn’t there anymore.

Reactions: CaptPantalones

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was thinking ROR+Nylander for Hamilton+Bennet before Dahlin.

I’d still do it after, but the impetus isn’t there anymore.
Why would Calgary do that though? Hamilton is worth more than ROR and Nylander hasn't even done anything of relevance in the AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad