ROR arrested for impaired driving; trial date set for July 11-12

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Nor is there any reason to assume it isn't. We have no idea how many other times he chose to drive hammered, but didn't get caught. It could be none, it could be fifty.

In the absence of any actual knowledge, thus with no basis whatsoever to support it, that assumption, (and the parsing of the definition of "habit") is more accurately described as the wishful thinking of a fan. Just as, in the absence of any actual knowledge, any assumption—positive or negative—is the reflection of a predetermined opinion. As has been said, everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. After the hearing, the facts may be clearer.

I was not aware of the "fact" that he was charged with driving hammered. Is that some new legal term I'm not aware of?

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
I was not aware of the "fact" that he was charged with driving hammered. Is that some new legal term I'm not aware of?

It's a colloquial term used to describe someone who has (for instance) been tested by a duly empowered law enforcement officer, (on the basis of having committed some action like, for instance, slamming a vehicle into a coffee shop, and fleeing from the scene) and been found to have a blood/alcohol level so high as to render him unfit, under the laws of his jurisdiction, to operate a motor vehicle.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
“I’m not saying the outcome is set yet, but just to be in a situation like that and have it come out the way it’s been spun, it is unfortunate."
^^ very intriguing statement there

I think I know what he means with that comment. If you recall the initial reports and first impression of what happened was of a drunk ROR slamming into a Timmy Ho's then running from the scene. Having seen further reports on the incident, thats not what took place.

Then it was reported he "abandoned" his car on Harold Ct and he and his companion were found walking on Main St. "Abandoned" is of course a loaded word. It implies he was trying to evade the authorities. But we don't know if thats actually true. Looking at the map of Lucan Ont. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43....5997eb!2m2!1d-81.396559!2d43.184532!3e0?hl=en Harold Court is a residential street. It was only 1/2 a mile from Tim Hortons. Then he went walking on Main street (the only road with things to do in that small town) with his companion. Hardly the place to go if you were trying to hide from the police.

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
If you recall the initial reports and first impression of what happened was of a drunk ROR slamming into a Timmy Ho's then running from the scene. Having seen further reports on the incident, thats not what took place.

Can you cite those reports that verify that he did not drive his truck into the building, that he did not flee the scene, and that he did not have an illegally elevated blood/alcohol level.
We may have, indeed, all been misled.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's a colloquial term used to describe someone who has (for instance) been tested by a duly empowered law enforcement officer, (on the basis of having committed some action like, for instance, slamming a vehicle into a coffee shop, and fleeing from the scene) and been found to have a blood/alcohol level so high as to render him unfit, under the laws of his jurisdiction, to operate a motor vehicle.

No, hammered is a loaded term that is more of your sanctimonious hyperbole when describing this incident. Hammered implies being blinded drunk and being incapable of functioning. Thats why you used it. Simply being above the legal limit does not mean someone is hammered.

He also bumped into a Tim Hornton's window, breaking it. Well, actually one section of it. "Slamming" into the building would have led to far more damage than the pictures that were tweeted out. He barely hit the building. Hell the frame around that small section of window wasn't even damaged. No rational thinking person can look at the damage to the Tim Hortons and say the building was "slammed into". By a pickup truck no less.

He screwed up and did something stupid that involved breaking the law. He will be punished accordingly. He's not evil incarnate nor the worst person in the world as you seem to feel he is.

Last edited:

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
No, hammered is a loaded term that is more of your sanctimonious hyperbole when describing this incident. Hammered implies being blinded drunk and being incapable of functioning. Thats why you used it. Simply being above the legal limit is not being hammered.

He also bumped into a Tim Hornton's window, breaking it. Well, actually one section of it. "Slamming" into the building would have led to far more damage than the pictures that were tweeted out. He barely hit the building. Hell the frame around that small section of window wasn't even damaged. No rational thinking person can look at the damage to the Tim Hortons and say the building was "slammed into". By a pick up truck no less.

He screwed up and did something stupid that involved breaking the law. He will be punished accordingly. He's not evil incarnate nor the worst person in the world as you seem to feel he is.

Operating a vehicle and endangering innocent peoples' lives while being in violation of the law regarding drunk driving is—to me—hammered. Your definition may well be different. I trust, from your assertion, that you were present, and can attest to the inadvertency of the act or gentleness of the velocity with which his truck . . . met the building. And further, can cite the reports you referred to verifying that the incident did not happen as reported, that he did not flee, and did not, as tested, exceed the legal drunkenness limit for driving.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Operating a vehicle and endangering innocent peoples' lives while knowingly and intentionally being in violation of the law regarding drunk driving is—to me—hammered. Your definition may well be different. I trust, from your assertion, that you were present, and can attest to the inadvertency of the act or gentleness of the velocity with which his truck . . . met the building. And further, can cite the reports you referred to verifying that the incident did not happen as reported, that he did not flee, and did not, as tested, exceed the legal drunkenness limit for driving.

he wasnt standing next to you when you determined he was hammered?

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Operating a vehicle and endangering innocent peoples' lives while being in violation of the law regarding drunk driving is—to me—hammered. Your definition may well be different. I trust, from your assertion, that you were present, and can attest to the inadvertency of the act or gentleness of the velocity with which his truck . . . met the building. And further, can cite the reports you referred to verifying that the incident did not happen as reported, that he did not flee, and did not, as tested, exceed the legal drunkenness limit for driving.

Are you serious with this? Have some common sense. You do not need to have been present to determine that the building was not "slammed" into, it is completely clear that did not happen based on the lack of damage. But of course you can say he was hammered without having been there, because, well, bias. He probably hit the gas instead of the brake when pulling in/out, happens a lot even with sober people. Let's get off the high horse and stop pretending like O'Reilly was beligerently drunk and being a complete drunken maniac on the road. He made an irresponsible mistake and will pay for it. No one was hurt thankfully so there is no need to drag this on and paint him as some sort of devil. He has no prior incidents to suggest any sort of character issues, so unless this happens again then lets move on and get excited about having a top 3 defensive forward in the conference.

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
he wasnt standing next to you when you determined he was hammered?

He was, I assume, standing next to the law enforcement officer who administered the test that found him (after he fled the scene of the incident) in excess of the blood/alcohol level allowing for the legal operation of a vehicle.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Operating a vehicle and endangering innocent peoples' lives while being in violation of the law regarding drunk driving is—to me—hammered.Your definition may well be different.

That you feel he was hammered is not a fact. (You do remember I quoted your posts talking about "facts"). Hammered is a subjective term you chose to use to amp up the melodrama. Maybe you don't even understand your own posts now. But saying he was arrested for being hammered is not in actuality a fact.

I trust, from your assertion, that you were present, and can attest to the inadvertency of the act or gentleness of the velocity with which his truck . . . met the building.

One doesn't need top be present to understand the reality of what happened. The picture tells the story. Very little force is needed from a pickup truck to break a small panel of glass. But I think you know that and are just being intentionally obtuse.

And further, can cite the reports you referred to verifying that the incident did not happen as reported, that he did not flee, and did not, as tested, exceed the legal drunkenness limit for driving.

:laugh: Feel free to try and re-read my post. Maybe you'll get it on the 2nd time around.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
If a dozen people list the following in order of implied BAC from least to highest, I bet we'd have twelve different answers.

"over the legal limit"
"hammered"
"drunk"
"impaired"
"blotto"
"blitzed"
"wasted"
"buzzed"
"blind drunk"
"tipsy"
"under the influence"
etc.

@rtfirefly:
Is each of the above synonymous with the other? Each has connotation which range far more in imagery and implied meaning than the literal denotation. I feel it's disingenuous to pretend otherwise, in particular from someone who I recall is a long-careered journalist.

To illustrate, when reading this page of posts, some might describe your content and tone as obdurate or stubborn, others as inflammatory, prickish, or perhaps worse.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
If a dozen people list the following in order of implied BAC from least to highest, I bet we'd have twelve different answers.

etc.
"under the influence"
"over the legal limit"
"buzzed"
"impaired"
"tipsy"
"blotto"(because I've never heard it, I'll stick it in the middle to be safe)
"drunk"
"wasted"
"hammered"
"blitzed"
"blind drunk"

@rtfirefly:
Is each of the above synonymous with the other? Each has connotation which range far more in imagery and implied meaning than the literal denotation. I feel it's disingenuous to pretend otherwise, in particular from someone who I recall is a long-careered journalist.
Yeah, he's well aware of how to use his tools.

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
To illustrate, when reading this page of posts, some might describe your content and tone as obdurate or stubborn, others as inflammatory, prickish, or perhaps worse.

I would myself describe my observations as obdurate or stubborn. I believe strongly, resolutely, unwaveringly, unyieldingly that drunken driving is a dangerous, irresponsible, narcissistic, and potentially deadly act, and one deserving of far more than the light taps on the wrist that are most often administered to violators. Nor do I believe that such acts should be overlooked simply because the perpetrator is "a top three defensive forward" (as has been suggested). And further, as far as extrapolating one incident into any assumption of a pattern of conduct, in my many decades of experience I have never, ever, known a person who drove drunk just once. Ever.

(I would take issue with prickish since, as far as I can determine, there's no such word.)

In any case, when we're provided with links to those unseen reports (alluded to in an earlier post) proving that the incident didn't happen as it was reported, we'll all have a better sense of the events. I hope they're posted soon. I'm sure I'm not alone in being very eager to read them.

Last edited:

OhreallyOrielly

good 2b a tankster
Apr 8, 2007
Buffalo
Per WBEN facebook:

WBEN NewsRadio
5 mins ·
Sabres Center Ryan O'Reilly was scheduled to appear in a London, Ontario court today to answer drunk driving charges. AM980 in London reports that court date has been pushed back to Oct. 1, The Sabres open the season on Oct. 8

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I wonder why it keeps getting pushed back. Good news for the chances of him making his debut for the home opener though

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wonder why it keeps getting pushed back. Good news for the chances of him making his debut for the home opener though

It could be as simple as the DA and ROR's lawyer are still talking about a potential deal and things are getting pushed back.

This is a very common thing.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
It's just weird after the ROR quotes a couple days ago that he was saying this would all be over this week.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's just weird after the ROR quotes a couple days ago that he was saying this would all be over this week.

Given my experiences with the court system and delays, it's not weird at all.

It's more like ROR was overly optimistic when he said what he did.

I know I thought my divorce was going to be done a lot sooner than it ended up being.

:laugh:

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Per WBEN facebook:

WBEN NewsRadio
5 mins ·
Sabres Center Ryan O'Reilly was scheduled to appear in a London, Ontario court today to answer drunk driving charges. AM980 in London reports that court date has been pushed back to Oct. 1, The Sabres open the season on Oct. 8

Yep, it was pushed again to October 1st:

Not so sure about that - he could still be handed an NHL suspension that keeps him out of some games at start of season.

It could be as simple as the DA and ROR's lawyer are still talking about a potential deal and things are getting pushed back.

This is a very common thing.

With all the ambiguities about who was driving, abandoning scene of accident, witnesses and what condition the police found O'Reilly and his companion in, I suspect the delays are being caused by continuing investigations on both sides to firm up the facts.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
More from Murray on ROR:

That kind of suggests that regardless of the Court outcome and/or action by NHL, the Sabres probably won't impose their own form of suspension or punishment as some thought may occur when the news first came out. Unlike the Bills' situation with the assistant coach, it sounds like Brandon/Pegulas/Murray may accept O'Reilly's apologies and it being a first-time offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad