ROR arrested for impaired driving; trial date set for July 11-12

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
The full quotes from ROR on his situation via TBN:
“After this week it’ll be sorted out and I can comment more on it, but it’s an unfortunate situation,†O’Reilly said Tuesday in First Niagara Center. “I think with the way the Sabres have invested in me and seen light in me, to be involved in a situation like that it’s definitely unfortunate. I would never want to do that, so I definitely apologize to all the fans and just the kids that see the situation.

“I’m not going to say exactly what has happened. That’s going to come out in court. I’ll just be happy when it’s taken care of and I can just move on and start playing hockey.

“It’s obviously something I’ve had to deal with all summer, and I feel horrible about it,†O’Reilly said. “It can be a little difficult at times, but everyone here has been nice about it and supported me and is hoping for the best. To have that, it makes it much easier. I just focus on being here and let that thing take care of itself.

“I’m not saying the outcome is set yet, but just to be in a situation like that and have it come out the way it’s been spun, it is unfortunate. I know families and parents and kids, it’s not a good message to send to them. Again, I do apologize and I will do what I can to make that up to them. I thik that’s something I’ll be happy to put behind me.â€

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
WGR's Hamilton elaborates:

Despite what happened, it seems like people inside the organization and locker room have still been welcoming. O’Reilly said, “I feel horrible about it and it can be a little difficult at times, but everyone here has been nice about it and supported me, so to have that it makes it much easier.”

It really does seem like the thing that concerns O’Reilly the most is how this is a blow to him as a role model. O’Reilly genuinely seems upset about that, “The outcome isn’t set yet, but just to be in a situation like that and to have it come out and the way it’s been spun, it is unfortunate and I know families and parents and kids, yes it’s not a good message to send to them and again I do apologize and I’ll do what I can to make that up to them.”

On moving to Buffalo:

I asked O’Reilly about what his thoughts were as a visitor, “Coming in you don’t see much and you don’t get to see the city, but now after being here and getting comfortable and getting to see the parks and the restaurants, you really see how nice of a city it is and it’s a hockey loving town too.”

On Ennis:

Tyler Ennis was on Team Canada with O’Reilly. They won the gold medal at the World Championships. He said Ennis is better than he ever thought he was, “We didn’t get to see him much throughout the season and he brings so much. I think for his size he wouldn’t be as physical as he is, but at the World Championships, he made some huge hits. He also scored some, in the Gold Medal game he made two huge plays that gave us the momentum that we built off of. He’s got great vision and he can put the puck in the net, he’s definitely a really good player.”

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-O-Reilly-said-he-s-very-sorry-about-July-in/21941095

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
“I’m not saying the outcome is set yet, but just to be in a situation like that and have it come out the way it’s been spun, it is unfortunate."

^^ very intriguing statement there

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
is he contradicting himself here? not saying the outcome is set yet, it will come out in court? whaaaaaaaa?? what else will come out in court, will the other passenger suddenly cop to being the driver?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
is he contradicting himself here? not saying the outcome is set yet, it will come out in court? whaaaaaaaa?? what else will come out in court, will the other passenger suddenly cop to being the driver?

Not really. He's just saying he's not going to comment on much until the final decisions on rulings, penalties, etc. are made in court.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
^^ very intriguing statement there

This is the statement that stuck out to me as well. Him using the phrase "spun" is very interesting.

Im starting to think there's more to the story that could go in favour of ROR but he doesn't want to say anything until the court decides...we'll see i guess

Last edited by a moderator:

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
which goes back to what i said up top about someone else being the driver and now maybe him being wrongly arrested at all lol. seems like a sttttrrrrrretch, but the way that read was like all will be well, then he uses the word court. maybe he was nervous. ill wait.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
On Ennis:
Around the draft I believe it was McKenzie who said guys like Crosby were raving about RoR and how many of the guys on Canada had no clue how good he was. Another reporter at the time (maybe Friedman?) said that Tyler Ennis was the other guy all the players were talking about.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Does ROR still have his beard? Who was the last Sabre to play with a really good beard?

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
Does ROR still have his beard? Who was the last Sabre to play with a really good beard?

7270346.jpg

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I'm glad he didn't hurt anyone. I'm glad at this point, there's no reason to assume it's a habit of his to do what he did. There's no reason to assume he's going to be a bad influence on poor little defenseless rookies. But the debbie downers like to knock players down a peg or two for whatever reason. Until there's a solid reason not to be, I'll support him and I'm going to hope he learned a valuable lesson and moves on and never has an issue like this again.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
which goes back to what i said up top about someone else being the driver and now maybe him being wrongly arrested at all lol. seems like a sttttrrrrrretch, but the way that read was like all will be well, then he uses the word court. maybe he was nervous. ill wait.

Let's see what is read into court record. He clearly has a deal.

I will say guilty people always claim to be victim of media spin.

I'm guessing he beats the impaired charge -- chain of evidence messed up because he bolted -- and gets nailed for leaving scene. Total guess.

If he's found guilty of either, there's no spin. He just messed up in a bad way.

Sabres Dynasty

Apr 11, 2015
I'm glad he didn't hurt anyone. I'm glad at this point, there's no reason to assume it's a habit of his to do what he did. There's no reason to assume he's going to be a bad influence on poor little defenseless rookies. But the debbie downers like to knock players down a peg or two for whatever reason. Until there's a solid reason not to be, I'll support him and I'm going to hope he learned a valuable lesson and moves on and never has an issue like this again.

Agreed. It was a bonehead move and he will likely never make the mistake again.

I see him as a great leader moving forward. :handclap:

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
... there's no reason to assume it's a habit of his to do what he did.

Nor is there any reason to assume it isn't. We have no idea how many other times he chose to drive hammered, but didn't get caught. It could be none, it could be fifty.

Sabres Dynasty

Apr 11, 2015
Nor is there any reason to assume it isn't. We have no idea how many other times he chose to drive hammered, but didn't get caught. It could be none, it could be fifty.

Chances are he'd done it before. If he has a brain, it won't happen again.

These things can be a real eye-opener for people.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Habit ... : a usual way of behaving : something that a person does often in a regular and repeated way

He may have done it more than this one time. But to assume it's a habit? Yea, no thank you. I'll assume he doesn't make it a habit to drink and drive.

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
He may have done it more than this one time. But to assume it's a habit? Yea, no thank you. I'll assume he doesn't make it a habit to drink and drive.

In the absence of any actual knowledge, thus with no basis whatsoever to support it, that assumption, (and the parsing of the definition of "habit") is more accurately described as the wishful thinking of a fan. Just as, in the absence of any actual knowledge, any assumption—positive or negative—is the reflection of a predetermined opinion. As has been said, everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. After the hearing, the facts may be clearer.

Last edited:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
In the absence of any actual knowledge, thus with no basis whatsoever to support it, that assumption, (and the parsing of the definition of "habit") is more accurately described as the wishful thinking of a fan. Just as, in the absence of any actual knowledge, any assumption—positive or negative—is the reflection of a predetermined opinion. As has been said, everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. After the hearing, the facts may be clearer.

Cool story. Like I said in post 715, in which you seemed to take issue with. I'll assume he didn't and doesn't make it a habit to do what he did. ie. drink and drive. And you are free to type the opposite until your fingers fall off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad