ROR arrested for impaired driving; trial date set for July 11-12

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Buffalo Sabres forward Ryan O'Reilly was set to appear in court Thursday regarding an impaired driving charge stemming from an incident in early July. That court date has been pushed back to Sept. 10, however, according to AM 980 Radio in London, Ont.

O'Reilly's attorney appeared in court on the player's behalf Wednesday, according to AM980. O'Reilly himself was not present.

O'Reilly's new scheduled court date is set to take place about a week before most NHL training camps open.

The bad news for the Sabres is that they're not going to have a lot of time to react to whatever punishment comes down, if any, from either the court or the NHL or perhaps both. It's not exactly the way a team would want to head into a season following a summer that has seemingly changed the outlook for the club.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...-oreillys-court-date-pushed-back-to-september

Sounds like O'Reilly didn't have to appear as long as he was legally represented. In the case where celebrities or pro athletes are involved, I imagine matters are often handled by proxy through lawyers.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Any reason for the delay? Is it something one side or the other would typically request for the date to be pushed back, or is it just because he wasn't personally there?

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Any reason for the delay? Is it something one side or the other would typically request for the date to be pushed back, or is it just because he wasn't personally there?

It could have been driven by the courts and their staffing/scheduling or that the arresting officer wasn't present as a witness, and had nothing to do with O'Reilly or his lawyer....

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

It's pretty common.

The Lawyer is appearing on ROR behalf and usually asks for an adjournment in order to get Prosecution evidence against you and allow time for a plea bargain to be hammered out.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...-oreillys-court-date-pushed-back-to-september

Sounds like O'Reilly didn't have to appear as long as he was legally represented. In the case where celebrities or pro athletes are involved, I imagine matters are often handled by proxy through lawyers.

I don't know what the law in Canada is on appearance.

Here in the states usually a lawyer only needs to appear for a hearing that doesn't involve actual trial/testimony.

Minor infractions like a speeding ticket or other traffic ticket the lawyer can be there alone because these charges are generally just fines.

I also don't know what sort of level this case takes in Canada. In the states a DWI or DUI charge could lead to an actual trial with a jury (usually 6-8 jurors)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It could have been driven by the courts and their staffing/scheduling or that the arresting officer wasn't present as a witness, and had nothing to do with O'Reilly or his lawyer....

There are a ton of things...

1. witness availability (arresting officers are on vacation)
2. defense attorney never received evidence he had requested; thus he is given an opportunity to review.
3. The attorneys have other scheduling conflicts like the prosecutor is currently trying another case.
4. witnesses unavailable currently.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
A lawyer acting for an accused may file a "Designation of counsel" signed by the accused and accepted by the lawyer and that permits the accused to appear by counsel until otherwise directed by the court.The first appearance by an accused in a case such as this is not placed in a court that will hear the case--often a court presided over by a justice of the peace and not a judge. The matter can be traversed for a plea to a judge who is available to add it to his/her list or will be adjourned until both parties are ready to proceed before a judge..ROR will have lost his licence to drive for 3 months already due to the charge and will face a minimum 1 year prohibition upon conviction, Many accused plead early so that the 3 months and 1 year run somewhat concurrently. Wigs were done away with a long long time ago.

paulnewman

Mar 13, 2015
I'm sorry if this has been covered already in the thread.

Back in college I was arrested for a misdemeanor and wasn't allowed to go to Canada while the case was pending (later ACD'd).

Is the reverse true as well? Will ROR be let into the US? Is there some sort of special exemption?

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
I'm sorry if this has been covered already in the thread.

Back in college I was arrested for a misdemeanor and wasn't allowed to go to Canada while the case was pending (later ACD'd).

Is the reverse true as well? Will ROR be let into the US? Is there some sort of special exemption?

yes, it is easier to get in the US (criminally)

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013

I wouldn't go so far as to consider that a blanket statement, especially if there is a drug conviction however if ROR ends up pleading guilty to a DUI there shouldn't be any issues.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

via the southern route. Is that you, Donald Trump?

So the court date is pushed back to Sept 10th. Last year's camp started Sept 18th. For those with knowledge of the Ontario court system, what are the chances this matter doesn't interfere significantly with camp. Either resolved by then (legally, ignoring anything the NHL and/or Sabres may do), or process advanced such that it does not impede border crossing, etc.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I assume ROR is normally in the US via a work visa? Or a legal permanent resident (green card)?

If a visa, a criminal conviction could result in visa being terminated and/or rejection when he has to reapply for a new one.

If a LPR, he should be fine.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl -

Sabres' Ryan O'Reilly on alleged Tim Hortons incident - "To be involved in a situation like that, it's definitely unfortunate.

"I definitely apologize to all the fans and just the kids that see the situation." Says more will come out in court.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad