rookies (or young players) breaking out next season?

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok
I think that Colin Wilson will have a breaktrough year next season. And alltough he is not under 22 I also believe that Mats Zuccarello will have his breaktrough year and get somewhere between 50 and 60 points next season.

The Kremelin Wall*

50? I don't know but Eller is going to have a big season next year. I can feel it in the air.. tonight.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'll say the rookie of the year next year will be Ryan Johansen. 55pts or better.

Surprise rook no one sees coming will be Scott Glennie - 25 goals and 40pts

My team's surprise rook will be Anton Lander - 30-35pts, but solid 2way play.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Derek Stepan
Luca Sbisa
Colin Wilson

3 names I haven't seen yet

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Paajarvi finished off the season very strong and could be pushing for 50+ pts next year while playing a strong 2-way game.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Depending on what is done in the off-season Mikael Backlund is a good candidate, he played really well when given the opportunity at the end of the year.

Lier X Agerate

Avs and Wolves
Oct 7, 2008
Ryan O'Reilly. If he's given some offensive opportunities, he'll produce. He showed that he had some flare when he was bumped to 2nd line this year.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Well, Hall would have had 50 rather easily this year IMO if he didn't get hurt. He was starting to dominate games and probably finishes with 25+ and 50+, so I expect 60+ points from him next year, similar to the years of JT and Duchene.

The problem is he plays a rather kamikaze style and still needs to fill out. Teams tend to adjust how they play against you after your rookie year, so the faster he fills out that big frame the better so he won't get pushed around as much.

Furthermore, the Oilers PP was probably one of the worst ever in the modern era, so it's tough to pad his stats with some PP production.

If a kid like RNH is centering him, Gagner finally breaks out with him, or Horcoff starts to gel with Hall again, AND they can at least have a mildly respectable PP (15-20th in the league), then I think the sky is the limit over the next couple years.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Well, Hall would have had 50 rather easily this year IMO if he didn't get hurt. He was starting to dominate games and probably finishes with 25+ and 50+, so I expect 60+ points from him next year, similar to the years of JT and Duchene.

The problem is he plays a rather kamikaze style and still needs to fill out. Teams tend to adjust how they play against you after your rookie year, so the faster he fills out that big frame the better so he won't get pushed around as much.

Hall's frame is going to allow him to pack on quite a bit more weight. One of the things I'm excited about is Hall never really gets long off seasons, he's always been in the playoffs. Hall's going to get, what, 5 or 6 months to train this off season? I'm expecting him to be a lot stronger physically, smarter and he'll probably put up 65 points.

I could see Eberle scoring 50+ points if he's healthy. I don't know if that's considered breaking out though. I expect 40+ from Pajaarvi but nothing spectacular.

Landeskog will have a good year no matter where he goes. I think if he went to Colorado he'd have about a 60 point rookie season. Landeskog and Duchene could be a strong duo for years and Landeskog is already physically prepared for the NHL.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if RNH came in and put up 50+ points in his rookie season, assuming the Oilers draft him. I don't really want to make predictions until training camp though, he needs to train hard this summer.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Depending on what is done in the off-season Mikael Backlund is a good candidate, he played really well when given the opportunity at the end of the year.

came to post this, he really started to come out of his offensive shell with iggy and tangs, and if he gets time with them i could see him breaking out

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O
Hall, JVR, NINO, kreider could be like grabner if used the same way. Slight goal hanging waiting for the opportunity to blow by defenders.

Tarasenko is iffy, could be a game breaker or too soft and crumble.

Aristocles14

Aug 27, 2003
London, Ontario
Visit site
I think JVR will have a break out season next year, and is off to a great first round so far...

While not under 22 - I think that Montoya in NYI will have a really change to make people wonder why he was never give a real chance at being a number one goalie.

Tarasenko - I think will have a good chance to step in on a good, young team in St. Louis and if he gets the playing time and power play time will have a great season.

asmodeanreborn

Jun 14, 2010
Longmont, CO
He's 24, but still a rookie: I'm waiting for Gragnani to get a chance and break out offensively. He may have some holes in his game, but 7 points (highest on the team) in the series vs Flyers is impressive for a young defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad