rookies (or young players) breaking out next season?

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Lars Eller and Pacioretty

I imagine that next year will be another developmental year for Eller on the bottom six and that his breakout performance will be the year after. Pacioretty is a good bet to score 20+ goals and 50+ points if healthy for the full year.

Manny*

Nathan Gerbe, Cody Hodgson, Alex Pietrangelo. I think some of the more obvious ones have been pointed out.

For the Sens, Bobby Butler might have an impressive season. He'll find a spot on our first line with Spezza by default. He had a 45-point pace this season, but he's a streaky scorer. If Spezza stays healthy, he could be a 20 goal, 50 point guy.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Assuming Iginla isnt traded and Tanguay is resigned, Backlund could hit 50+ points. He played with both players for the last 15 or so games and was getting close to PPG status in those games and was flying. Another year of development and summer training will continue to help him.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
I could see Backlund getting 50 points IF he gets top-6 and PP time and it's a pretty big "if" with all the centres the Flames have.

Jokinen pretty much has to be in the top 6 since he's no good in any other role. Langkow likely will be back in the top 6. So there's not really room for Backlund unless he moves to the wing.

I think long-term Backlund will be a decent 2nd line player - I'm just not sure next year will be the year.

The young players who have the most opportunity to get 50+ points are the ones on the bad teams since those teams are more focused on developing youth than winning. If the Flames go through a selloff then Backlund should easily be in that group, but I'm not sure the Flames will go that route.

Sorry what glut of centers? Morrison is a UFE and that basically leaves Backlund/Jokinen/Stajan for top 9. Jokinen was solid centering the #2 line and going against other teams top lines and Stajan was decent but inconsistent and was fine for the 3rd line. I do not see any other center prospects making a push to displace any of those 3 next year either. Moss was used at center due to injuries but his game is much mroe suited to #3 RW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad