GDT: Rookie Showdown: Montreal Canadiens vs. Winnipeg Jets (7PM on RDS.ca, TSN.ca)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes and no. This is not the place to evaluate our A-prospect.
This is the games to evaluate B and C prospect individually.

But we do overrate our prospect big time.
It's like it's always the ceiling that's taking into account and they all going to reached it.
Yet, this organization doesn't have a strong track record of developing their players to help them reach their ceiling.
But are you suggesting these players should all be playing at their ceiling? Like right now?

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
exactly. And, I'm not one to complain but...

I got to search on a list to see the players # number.
No play-by-play.
No chemistry whatsoever.
Maybe there's a reason why there's no play by play. It's better for the team and scouting and less for the fans.
I'll give it a try in a few minutes, but I was on forums and elsewhere. lol

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I really like Evans , will either get a role on the 4th line this year or first call-up.

Reactions: Tyson

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Evans had a solid rookie season last year. 45 points on a team that couldn’t score.
He looks pretty good out there. Hillis is another guy that I've been impressed with. Outside of Poehling and Suzuki, those two have been the best forwards so far this game.

Brook looks much better on defense tonight. Fairbrother and Fleury have been rock solid as well

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Fairbrother and Fleury are looking good tonight. Hopefully Fairbrother gets invited to the main camp

Reactions: Tyson

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
But are you suggesting these players should all be playing at their ceiling? Like right now?

No.
But we have to know that some of those guys won't be half as good as anticipated.
That's the nature of the beast for every teams.
And realized that we don't have a Gretzky hidden down there either.

Reactions: 417

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
McShane looking bad. No energy. Frankly, as great as this pool is, clearly, the best is away 'cause there are so many I wouldn't invite to the main camp. Brook doesn'T deserve an invitation at all. Fleury does much more than him. It's Primeau, Poehling, Suzuki and Fleury. That's it. Not sure what the big fuss is all about as far as Leskinen is concerned.
I know it is hard to watch but Kotkaniemi was also awful during the rookie tournament but he was a standout with the main camp. I would not draw any conclusion with these scrimmages yet.

CaptCrunch

Apr 25, 2006
I really like Harvey-Pinard and Hillis.

I see good things from Suzuki but I don't think these kinds of games shows the best out of him.

Poehling looks half asleep.

Evans need some seasoning in the AHL.

Jets do a good job of boxing people out.

A ton of broken plays, its a bit painful to watch. I hope nobody gets hurt.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Perhaps we overate our prospects a tad?

The problem is our selections prior to 2018 were lacking in quantity AND quality. I like that we still have numerous draft picks in 2020 because we need all the help we can from young players.
I believe we have good prospects, but most of the McShane and Hillis that we pick will not amount to anything and that's completely normal. From these we might get a legit top 6 player once every year or less, and more frequently a top 9 player.

I'm hoping that the Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling that we pick are going to end up as top 6 players, with the surprising star bursting once in a while who we will lock for a generation

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
If I were in charge they wouldn't be playing in these kinds of tournaments. Just don't see the upside vs injury risk right before the season starts. Granted anyone can get hurt at any time but I would rather see them just practice and not play these games.
On one hand, I agree. On the other, I certainly wouldn't be watching if they weren't playing. You are right though. It's a risk with little to no reward for the organization.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Boring game, not much going on offensively...

Fleury looking like the most NHL ready of the bunch, followed by Poehling but Poehling will have to do much more to earn a roster spot... Suzuki has been ok, still needs to do more as well...

Thats possibly going to be a long season, future is bright but its not going to show yet...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I really like Evans , will either get a role on the 4th line this year or first call-up.

I've said I believed he would see at least a game or two with the Habs this season, it's just a matter of him improving on his physical tools, getting stronger, quicker. He's such a smart player, great on draws, very solid 2 way player. He's the kind of player coaches love while coming off a very solid rookie year but lacks the physical tools.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Boring game, not much going on offensively...

Fleury looking like the most NHL ready of the bunch, followed by Poehling but Poehling will have to do much more to earn a roster spot... Suzuki has been ok, still needs to do more as well...

Thats possibly going to be a long season, future is bright but its not going to show yet...
You are right, decent prospect pool wont show for at least another season

Reactions: Goldenhands
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad