GDT: Rookie Showdown: Montreal Canadiens vs. Winnipeg Jets (7PM on RDS.ca, TSN.ca)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Saw some pretty nice things but you could tell that the effort level was pretty low. Looked like a casual beer league game. Probably a good thing since I don't want to see guys going down in a meaningless game

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
When it counts the most and at the highest level...."slowing down the play" won't be enough for Suzuki. I'm already tired to see that excuse.

Reactions: Redux91 and Tyson

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Having said all of that, it's when paired with better players that you often see some guys real abilities.

Reactions: Acadien86

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd be okay with them not doing the rookie tournament thing at all personally. It's rarely any good and there's always the risk of injuries to the better prospects. Just do more intrasquad scrimmage for the fans and leave it at that.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Zero wins in two consecutive rookie tournaments. Not sure what value they bring

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Would have love to see Fondstad and McShane have a shot on Poehling and Suzuki wings.....'cause iit makes no sense to see RHP looking like a 3rd rounder when those 2 looked like this year's tryouts....

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I have received few attacks from fan when i saidwe havent elite player. Thats what this tournament explain. If suzuki/piehlig/brook were in another league, they had to destroy this tournament. They were just okay.

Reactions: SnapVirus

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I have received few attacks from fan when i saidwe havent elite player. Thats what this tournament explain. If suzuki/piehlig/brook were in another league, they had to destroy this tournament. They were just okay.
I would've liked to see better showings from certain players but common man, this tournament means absolutely nothing. You need to wait until camp to form an opinion that actually means something.

Reactions: vokiel and dralaf

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Last night, the best players on the opposing team were players whove all played full seasons in the AHL and have even gotten NHL time. Couldn't be bothered to look up who stood out for the Jets tonight but yeah.

We didn't have Caufield, we didn't have Yloven, we had Poehling play on wing, this was Suzuki's first games against men, our only pros were our C ranked prospects (Leskinen, Fluery, Evans).

I don't know what people were expecting. Even Hughes didn't have the greatest weekend (reports out of there highlight his turnovers and only 1 goal). Meaningless games are meaningless for a reason, only point of these tournaments is to help get rookies used to their systems.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A bunch of terrible hot takes on HF. That's about it.

What's the point of watching it, then? Terrible HF hot takes are kind of entertaining. :D

Can we safely say the tournament is just for the hockey-starved fan who wants an early fix and not to arrive at any conclusions?

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
These camps aren't what they used to be, that's for sure.

When I was a kid, it was hits and fights everywhere. Those kids wanted to show coaches that they had guts.

Now, especially without announcers, it's who can execute the exact same plays just a little quicker.

I watched both of the games, but it sure as heck wasn't the most entertaining hockey I've watched.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Honestly, Kotkaniemi's rookie tournament wasn't a decade ago. It was the one preceding this one. Like, there havent been any since. How do you not learn from that experience and temper expectations from a meaningless tournament after months without hockey.

Kravtsov had an average first game.... Yet two post seasons ago he was breaking rookie records in the second best pro league on the planet. Wonder if Rangers fans should have panicked. "He cant be elite ! I know he's been outstanding everywhere, but this one exhibition game he didnt dominate ffs !!".

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Last night, the best players on the opposing team were players whove all played full seasons in the AHL and have even gotten NHL time. Couldn't be bothered to look up who stood out for the Jets tonight but yeah.

We didn't have Caufield, we didn't have Yloven, we had Poehling play on wing, this was Suzuki's first games against men, our only pros were our C ranked prospects (Leskinen, Fluery, Evans).

I don't know what people were expecting. Even Hughes didn't have the greatest weekend (reports out of there highlight his turnovers and only 1 goal). Meaningless games are meaningless for a reason, only point of these tournaments is to help get rookies used to their systems.

Well, there's clearly no chance Hughes will be elite. None.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

It's not about winning the games. It's about talking about players that were there. Not sure why people can't handle that. And by the way, I don't know why people keep saying it's meaningless. Do you think the management don't take those games into account when it's time to invite guys to the main camp or let them play a preseason game?

The great part about people defending players having bad games would be the first to praise them if they would have great games. Suddenly, the meaningless games wouldn't be so meaningless after all.

Yes, those games don't say who will have a career or not. You shouldn't define a player's future based on that. But if you already had an idea on this or that player, it's possible that those games were added to what you already thought of those guys good or bad. I personnally always loved Cale Fleury. From the day he was picked and before. Those games make me think that I'm not wrong to like it. Should I be punish for it? Or because it's positive, everything is good? At the same time though, while I didn't like Fondstad and McShane progression good enough....to see them be so invisible this weekend dissapoint me. Am I allowed to? I also believed Leguerrier was a stupid pick based on his play and stats. And this weekend, he did look out of place. Though, pretty normal for a 1st year player. He clearly didn't make me change my position on him though...that' sfor sure. Yet, Fairbrother made me want to look at him more this year...etc.

In the end...why creating a thread on a game if we can't discuss it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad