Pre-Game Talk: Rookie camp discussion

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I think Samorukov is going to finally start getting the respect he deserves around here during this rookie tournament. If he builds off last year the skies the limit with this kid. I wouldn’t even group him with Maximov as I believe he’s right there with Bouchard and Broberg for our best defensive prospect.

Around here? Samorukov is one of the most talked about prospects on the Oilers board.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
By some fans, a lot still are under rating him IMO

I wouldn't say that's the case. He's just in tough to make the team out of camp with Jones and Lagesson slotted in ahead of him at the moment, by virtue of age if nothing else.

He'll start in the AHL, IMO... but if he lights it up and Jones/Lagesson struggle, he won't be down there for long.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I mean, they won’t pay to broadcast their own preseason games either, they cut the U of A game, and pulled out of Penticton. Pennies are being pinched, it seems.
I was just going to ask if the Penticton tournament had been scrapped. I don’t spend as much time keeping tabs on the prospects these days as I used to so this is the first I’m hearing of it. Is the tournament itself still going on without the Oilers?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I was just going to ask if the Penticton tournament had been scrapped. I don’t spend as much time keeping tabs on the prospects these days as I used to so this is the first I’m hearing of it. Is the tournament itself still going on without the Oilers?

The official release said it was cancelled due to “lack of participating teams” ie us and the Flames pulled out.

Reactions: rboomercat90

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm just saying, there's a lot of people that are going to be expecting a lot out of that top d pairing and those 2 scoring lines.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Hopefully samorukov can be Holland’s kronwall V.2 with the oilers down the line, not many prospects hit like Dimitri can. Hoping he translates his play to the AHL this year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
By some fans, a lot still are under rating him IMO

Samorukov is definitely not underrated by Oiler fans and in fact, he might be a bit overrated by Oiler fans (including this McCupofOil fella who likes him more than Bouchard).
I'd say he's definitely underrated by non-Oiler fans but in fairness to them, he doesn't have a big enough sample size of high level success to be highly rated by people who don't watch him regularly.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Exactly, in my practice I come across a lot of blue collar guys with families who love hockey and can barely afford tickets plus food/drink for their families to go. It’s even crazier in Edmonton for prices.

I just bought a whole bunch of tickets for this prospects game to give to families that cannot afford regular season games.

$5 for lower bowl tickets to see our youngsters play and see the excitement of parents and children who otherwise would be unable to attend a game in an NHL arena? Sign me up all day.
That's awesome.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Samorukov is definitely not underrated by Oiler fans and in fact, he might be a bit overrated by Oiler fans (including this McCupofOil fella who likes him more than Bouchard).
I'd say he's definitely underrated by non-Oiler fans but in fairness to them, he doesn't have a big enough sample size of high level success to be highly rated by people who don't watch him regularly.

He is a very intriguing prospect. But it is a very small sample size against (relatively) low competition. Doing great in a junior league in your draft +2 year where you should dominate really doesn't matter much. It took him a long time to figure out a junior league. From here on in he goes up against men that are bigger stronger and faster than him. Completely different.

He is a looooooong way from being an nhl player.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think this is Lagesson's year. He's 23 years old, it's time for him to make the jump. There's a spot on the blueline for him if he's willing to go out and take it.

The way I see it there are 3 spots up for grabs

Nurse-Larsson (arrange the top 4 any way you see fit)
Klefbom-X
Russell-X
X

Benning has *probably* got one of the spots, but I wouldnt be shocked to see him dealt for a forward if guys like Bear and Persson show well.

I think Persson takes a spot.

Meaning I think the last one comes down to Jones or Lagesson, and there's an argument to be made that Jones would benefit more from #1 D minutes in the AHL than 7D minutes in the NHL.

Coming out of camp I think we see:

Nurse-Lars
Klefbom-Persson
Russell-Benning
Lagesson

With this in the AHL:

Jones-Bouchard
Samorukov-Bear
Lowe-Day
Manning, Desharnais, Kulevich, whoever else is on AHL deals.

... we really need to trade a defenceman.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007

Klefbom-X
Russell-X
X

Benning has *probably* got one of the spots, but I wouldnt be shocked to see him dealt for a forward if guys like Bear and Persson show well.

Meaning I think the last one comes down to Jones or Lagesson, and there's an argument to be made that Jones would benefit more from #1 D minutes in the AHL than 7D minutes in the NHL.

Nurse-Lars
Klefbom-Persson
Russell-Benning
Lagesson

With this in the AHL:

Jones-Bouchard
Samorukov-Bear
Lowe-Day

Why? That’s only 16 d-men. Injuries! competition! Persson Bear Jones and Lagesson have this season to prove they have jumped ahead of Manning and Benning or there is a chance they are traded. Russell will be traded IF Jones or Lagesson pass him on the depth chart. IF Bouchard and/or Samorukov jump the queue, we have a full season to move candidates out.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Why? That’s only 16 d-men. Injuries! competition! Persson Bear Jones and Lagesson have this season to prove they have jumped ahead of Manning and Benning or there is a chance they are traded. Russell will be traded IF Jones or Lagesson pass him on the depth chart. IF Bouchard and/or Samorukov jump the queue, we have a full season to move candidates out.
??

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Klefbom-X
Russell-X
X

Nurse-Lars
Klefbom-Persson
Russell-Benning
Lagesson

With this in the AHL:

Jones-Bouchard
Samorukov-Bear
Lowe-Day

I think Persson could be a positive surprise, but I'd be (almost) shocked if he made it out of camp. I am thinking more in line with Pilut last season, 30 or so games in AHL and then he'll get a taste. The need for adjustment to NA does not mean he is a bust, it can be really important. Probably when either Lagesson or Jones (or Benning) hit a skid. It would not surprise me if he takes it from there and sticks with the team.

... That said, Persson is the embodiment of non-conventional in his development, so who knows.

Edit: he'll get his chances in the preseason though, Gulutzan said as much. Top PP minutes and playing time, I have my doubts he'll be able to be effective right away, but again, who knows. He did say that tries not try to think when playing, but rely on his instincts, because it is quicker. I guess we'll see how good they are.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Klefbom-X
Russell-X
X

Nurse-Lars
Klefbom-Persson
Russell-Benning
Lagesson

With this in the AHL:

Jones-Bouchard
Samorukov-Bear
Lowe-Day

This very well could be correct... and I agree that Jones as our defacto #1 in the AHL (and mentoring Bouchard defensively... which may eventually be an NHL pairing) would be a great scenario IF Persson is really ready for prime time.

But like LaGu said, I'm not sure I'd bet on that. Jones and Bear have NHL experience, and more importantly, NA-Ice experience. All things equal, I'd be more comfortable with Persson getting twenty games to work on his gap control in the AHL before experimenting with that in the NHL.

But I have to admit... I REALLY, REALLY hope that one of the RD's in Bouchard, Bear, Persson can step into the lineup... otherwise we're going to have Russell on his offside on the 2nd pairing or Benning playing there (while Russell mentors the rooks on the bottom pairing).... neither of which are ideal.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Manning was a consistent healthy scratch in the AHL. Most of these guys have proven they are better already

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I try to take in the rookie game in Calgary every year. I almost always see a player who surprises and ends up being the story of camp. A few years ago, Slepyshev was obiiously a guy who would challenge for a spot. Before that, Marincin, Klefbom were early surprises who ended up being players.

A couple years ago, Yamamoto clearly showed he was an NHL player when everyone thought he would be one of the first camp cuts.

This year, I am hoping it is Samorukov.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I try to take in the rookie game in Calgary every year. I almost always see a player who surprises and ends up being the story of camp. A few years ago, Slepyshev was obiiously a guy who would challenge for a spot. Before that, Marincin, Klefbom were early surprises who ended up being players.

A couple years ago, Yamamoto clearly showed he was an NHL player when everyone thought he would be one of the first camp cuts.

This year, I am hoping it is Samorukov.

Benson it is

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad