Rookie camp 2014 (starts Sept. 13)

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
with a shape like that sekac is serious to make the team. Curios to see what happens next. I hope a kid like scherkbak puts the hands hard on us to make the team but I doubt it since Sekac is more mature.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Scherbak is at least two years away from the NHL. He's considered raw at this point.

Yep but I guess im just being a fan here as I like when kids make it straight to the NHL if he has a good amount of talent. Pac and DD and Scherbak could make a hell of a line but I guess that's PAP spot. Anyways I do know there is no chance Scherbak makes the team. Guys like Sekac, Andrighetto and De La Rose may have more chances.

Last edited:

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
The funny thing is that Bourque can play LW or RW, so we need a 3rd line winger, not necessarily a 3rd line RW...

No matter where he plays, Bournival is just as bad offensively. Hands of stone and very limited talent. Don't see him as much more than a French Tom Pyatt.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
No matter where he plays, Bournival is just as bad offensively. Hands of stone and very limited talent. Don't see him as much more than a French Tom Pyatt.

I think you're confusing him getting the puck on net to avoid mistakes with lack of vision and offensive awareness. It's normal for a rookie such as himself who doesn't have that top line skill to try and keep his game simple and avoid getting benched by a coach who is known for favouring veteran players, while he's still not firmly established in the line-up.
He still has more offensive skill than you give him credit for.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Except he's kinda already has "offensively" talented as Pyatt while being 5 years younger (14/60gp pts vs 19/74gp pts career best).

It's not out of question he turns out to be a 15-15 kind of guy with speed which would be good for our 3rd line.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I like bournival. Plays at high speed, not afraid to hit, smart defensively, good on the boards and plays a strong cycle game. His offense isn't huge but its there and more than adequate for the bottom two lines. I think him and Plekanec would make a deadly counter attack duo on the PK.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I think you're confusing him getting the puck on net to avoid mistakes with lack of vision and offensive awareness. It's normal for a rookie such as himself who doesn't have that top line skill to try and keep his game simple and avoid getting benched by a coach who is known for favouring veteran players, while he's still not firmly established in the line-up.
He still has more offensive skill than you give him credit for.

I'd be ready to bet quite a bit of money on the fact he's not going to turn into anything more than a dime-a-dozen player, with fantastic speed but sub-par offensive play and who's easy to contain for big d-men. In the mold of Dan Paille, Tom Pyatt, and other similar players. I just don't see it.

Watched him in the memorial cup tournament. Came out disappointed by his lack of offensive awareness. Last season, I saw the same tasteless, colorless player who's ultimately just a filler, the kind of filler you can find each year on the UFA market.

I'm not a fan of having fillers who are just quick for the sake of being quick on my lineup. I want my top 3 lines to have above-average offensive abilities, and my 4th line to be hard to contain, tough to play against, while being efficient defensively. To me, Bournival doesn't fit on the long-term plans.

I'd rather either of JDLR, Andrighetto or Sekac to get the spot on the 3rd line.

I'll also say this; if Bournival had just NHL-calibre skills offensively, most of these boards would've wanted us to re-sign Vanek no matter the cost, after his playoffs.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Sekac Beep test result are pretty impressive, having done the beep test a few time in isn't just about stamina but mental toughness and the will to keep doing which was even more impressive since he didn't have anyone challenging him to push him to keep going.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If Scherbak is a blue chip 1st round NHL talent, why was he not invited to the Russian World Junior Team Tryouts? Politics?

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore

I don't really get that comparison. Pyatt was as soft as they can get and Bournival hits consistently and goes in the traffic. He's also faster and creates more things offensively. He really lacks finish and hands but he's not really similar to Pyatt.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
If Scherbak is a blue chip 1st round NHL talent, why was he not invited to the Russian World Junior Team Tryouts? Politics?

The closest thing outside of "who knows" that I heard is that the coach is not very familiar with him. No idea how true or not that is though.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd be ready to bet quite a bit of money on the fact he's not going to turn into anything more than a dime-a-dozen player, with fantastic speed but sub-par offensive play and who's easy to contain for big d-men. In the mold of Dan Paille, Tom Pyatt, and other similar players. I just don't see it.

Watched him in the memorial cup tournament. Came out disappointed by his lack of offensive awareness. Last season, I saw the same tasteless, colorless player who's ultimately just a filler, the kind of filler you can find each year on the UFA market.

I'm not a fan of having fillers who are just quick for the sake of being quick on my lineup. I want my top 3 lines to have above-average offensive abilities, and my 4th line to be hard to contain, tough to play against, while being efficient defensively. To me, Bournival doesn't fit on the long-term plans.

I'd rather either of JDLR, Andrighetto or Sekac to get the spot on the 3rd line.

I'll also say this; if Bournival had just NHL-calibre skills offensively, most of these boards would've wanted us to re-sign Vanek no matter the cost, after his playoffs.

He's by no means a core member of the team but he can fill a role and do it cheaply. You have to have effective role players that don't hurt the bank. There are more pressing needs that need to be addressed rather than bournival who is a good roleplayed.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal

Well, a speedster able to score 10-15 goals a year, good on the forecheck, good defensively and more than good on the PK, able to play wign and center, I can live with that on the third line. Of course, he would need to be matched with the correct complementary parts, like a big and gritty player, for example.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I like bournival. Plays at high speed, not afraid to hit, smart defensively, good on the boards and plays a strong cycle game. His offense isn't huge but its there and more than adequate for the bottom two lines. I think him and Plekanec would make a deadly counter attack duo on the PK.

This!

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
yes

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin 28 min

On peut vous assurer qu'en termes de cardio, Sekac est dans une forme exemplaire. Première recrue en 3 ans à se rendre à 14 au beep test.

We can assure you that in terms of cardio, Sekac is in exemplary form. First rookie in 3 years to get to 14 in the beep test.

I wonder how well Dustin Penner, his competition for a third-line spot in the eyes of some, would do. :sarcasm: Speculation: one length, and keep walking to the nearest bathroom.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=630194

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=630187

Bozon looking sharp. Thx to swisshabs.

BxWb7eiIgAAtZXZ.jpg:large

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I can tell you right now, and mark my damn words: Bozon will make the NHL and be succesful.

To come out of mono and get a 12 on the beep test means that he's either A) physically gifted or that he's B) One of the hardest workers around hockey.

This kid is a gem to have.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
I can tell you right now, and mark my damn words: Bozon will make the NHL and be succesful.

To come out of mono and get a 12 on the beep test means that he's either A) physically gifted or that he's B) One of the hardest workers around hockey.

This kid is a gem to have.

probably just a slip, but he had a severely life threatening form of meningitis .. not mono

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Gadoury has very limited junior experience for a 20 yrs old though. I find Goulet is younger and would have more time to developp in the Q. If I had to choose between both I'd take Goulet as I think the difference in skills isn't that big right now but there's a solid gap in age. I like Goulet's long-term potential.

I wanna see more out of Gadoury, for a full year, without Drouin and maybe without Ehlers until mid-October (9-game stint with Jets?).

I'd sign Goulet in a heartbeat.

I couldn't have said it better myself, well said!

Boko is a pinball machine who loves to hit and hits in his sleep. I just don't see any hockey sense that goes with it. Not NHL material. Maybe bottom line AHL'er. Some at one point thought that a guy like Roussel never had any chance of making it (I wasn't one of them....always was a fan) and then he did. I guess you never know. But I will always believe that unless you are a big time fighter back in the days, guys with limited or no hockey sense, there's not a lot of room for them in the league.

To me Imama is the type of player you work with and keep a close eye on. We know Bergevin loves character, and this kid has it in spades. As a 16 year old, he was intimidating other teams with his forecheck and his physical play. He can fight, he can get around the ice rather well and he's conscious defensively. He will have a lot of space after December in Baie-Comeau to flourish offensively with the eventual trade of Grégoire. Don't forget he was playing behind some pretty darn good players in Baie-Comeau the last couple of years.

Gadoury is indeed intriguing. Almost a GPG (32G - 35games), for a junior A player, some kind of late bloomer or slipped under the radar kind of guy.

He played with Drouin last season who was probably the best CHL player. He's a terrific skater and has good finish, but we'll see how he does without Drouin feeding him every shift.

Last edited:

Xss

Jul 9, 2009
Apparently RDS is gonna stream the rookie camp scrimmage on their website.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Bournival was 21 last season and that age and 23-24 many players put up a couple of pounds....Bournival is at a respectful 196, but if he keeps working and his skating and get to 208-212 range...he COULD become a dangerous top 9 player.

He was a center in Hamilton, just got put on the wing.....take some time to adapt and he need more size for his type of game.

Every year, i always expect kids between 19-24 to come a little bigger/tougher to camps...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad