Rookie camp 2014 (starts Sept. 13)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not gonna lie.. It will be stupid of the Habs to not offer Gadoury a deal. Low risk and at minimal I think he'll end up a scorer at the AHL level which we can always use.

I would indeed sign Gadoury. But I would also sign Goulet. We have plenty of space to do that.

Still believe that nothing will happen though. They will probably keep an eye on him for the next draft.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would indeed sign Gadoury. But I would also sign Goulet.

Still believe that nothing will happen though. They will probably keep an eye on him for the next draft.

I haven't seen enough of goutlet to put the vote of confidence in him as I have gadoury.. But if he's as good as some people have said. It can't hurt.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I haven't seen enough of goutlet to put the vote of confidence in him as I have gadoury.. But if he's as good as some people have said. It can't hurt.

I've seen both.
I'd obviously sign both, but if I could only sign one, it would be Goulet.

We have 2 spots.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Hopefully you're not serious. There are several good prospects there.

Fine list. Though, you have to add the names of Holland, Thomas, Dietz and Ellis as they are the guys that at one point, real soon, they'll need to be candidate to graduate....or just traded or let go, whether for their own good, or in a prospect for prospect trade.

Those 4 guys need to be dominating in this camp.

Matteus

May 11, 2009
Fine list. Though, you have to add the names of Holland, Thomas, Dietz and Ellis as they are the guys that at one point, real soon, they'll need to be candidate to graduate....or just traded or let go, whether for their own good, or in a prospect for prospect trade.

Those 4 guys need to be dominating in this camp.

I'd give Dietz more leash than the other three. All I want is for him to improve over last year.
If he does that, I'm certainly willing to be patient and stick with him for a third year before giving up.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I'd give Dietz more leash than the other three. All I want is for him to improve over last year.
If he does that, I'm certainly willing to be patient and stick with him for a third year before giving up.

True.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I'm more interested in seeing how guys like Thrower and Crisp progress personally.

From what I've seen of Dietz and Holland, they both have the tools, time will tell if they shine or bust. So I can definitely see the allure to them at this camp.

However, Ellis/Thomas could be victims of that development stall you were mentioning about another prospect earlier. I never liked the Thomas trade and I was surprised at the lack of Ellis' progression.

If Thrower and Crisp show some signs of improvement I'll be very pleased, same with McCarron.

The rest are the obvious choices, DLR, Sekac, etc. Cannot wait to see if anyone can win a spot, but if a guy like Gregoire exploded out of left field I'm be pretty happy too. Odds are slim as they come, nobody strikes me as a Gallagher in our system currently, but hey you never know :)

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Not gonna lie.. It will be stupid of the Habs to not offer Gadoury a deal. Low risk and at minimal I think he'll end up a scorer at the AHL level which we can always use.

Gadoury has very limited junior experience for a 20 yrs old though. I find Goulet is younger and would have more time to developp in the Q. If I had to choose between both I'd take Goulet as I think the difference in skills isn't that big right now but there's a solid gap in age. I like Goulet's long-term potential.

I wanna see more out of Gadoury, for a full year, without Drouin and maybe without Ehlers until mid-October (9-game stint with Jets?).

I'd sign Goulet in a heartbeat.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
check out Habs youtube, they upload like 2 24ch episode a day with extented cuts and players comments.

Did that. Thanks for the tip!

Btw, as someone who never really followed 24CH, I now understand perfectly the snarky comments regarding Gorges "locker room leadership". Man, that must have grown tiresome pretty quickly. I don't think the team is going to miss him, at least not for his "cheers".

COME ON BOYS HERE WE GO HERE WE GO.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Contracts offered to juniors players (whether we drafted them or not) count towards the 50-contract total, right?

(in that case, we indeed have 48 players under contract)

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
List of best parts of hockey:

Stanley Cup Play-offs
NHL Entry Draft
Last month of the season (Play-Off Push)
Rookie/Training Camp
Beginning of Season
Middle of Season

I would respectfully add:

1. Leafs implosion and missing of playoffs (replaced every 10 years by 1st round crash and burn in humiliating, hysterical fashion)
2. Claude Julien tantrum after yet another loss to Habs, aka Embellishment City Redux

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I'm more interested in seeing how guys like Thrower and Crisp progress personally.

From what I've seen of Dietz and Holland, they both have the tools, time will tell if they shine or bust. So I can definitely see the allure to them at this camp.

However, Ellis/Thomas could be victims of that development stall you were mentioning about another prospect earlier. I never liked the Thomas trade and I was surprised at the lack of Ellis' progression.

If Thrower and Crisp show some signs of improvement I'll be very pleased, same with McCarron.

The rest are the obvious choices, DLR, Sekac, etc. Cannot wait to see if anyone can win a spot, but if a guy like Gregoire exploded out of left field I'm be pretty happy too. Odds are slim as they come, nobody strikes me as a Gallagher in our system currently, but hey you never know :)

Not for this camp for both guys. As no matter how you look at them and how they do, I would personnally have Thrower in the ECHL and Crisp to play a supporting role in Hamilton. So not really expecting anything this year from them.

Gadoury has very limited junior experience for a 20 yrs old though. I find Goulet is younger and would have more time to developp in the Q. If I had to choose between both I'd take Goulet as I think the difference in skills isn't that big right now but there's a solid gap in age. I like Goulet's long-term potential.

I wanna see more out of Gadoury, for a full year, without Drouin and maybe without Ehlers until mid-October (9-game stint with Jets?).

I'd sign Goulet in a heartbeat.

Gadoury is just really intriguing based on how he exploded in the Q scene. Of course, he had some ''help'' but he created a lot of things on his own. Anyway you look at it, it's still spectacular to see what he was able to do. And if he's a true definition of what a late bloomer is.....there will be a lot of competition to sign him especially if he does relatively well without the big guns.

Contracts offered to juniors players (whether we drafted them or not) count towards the 50-contract total, right?

(in that case, we indeed have 48 players under contract)

No it doesn't. It will only if they play 11 NHL games this year. So we're at 43.http://habsprospects.com/reservelist.html

And at worst, only guy in that list that could play NHL games is DLR. Nobody else from that list will. So at worst, it's 44.

HaZiKaN

Apr 29, 2009
Quebec
Hi guys! I'm looking to go to the Sunday scrimage. Is there a lot of people there? At what time should I arrive to make sure to have a place? Thanks!

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Can ayone help me with a brief synopsis on Eberle and who is this Boko kid?

Boko is a pinball machine who loves to hit and hits in his sleep. I just don't see any hockey sense that goes with it. Not NHL material. Maybe bottom line AHL'er. Some at one point thought that a guy like Roussel never had any chance of making it (I wasn't one of them....always was a fan) and then he did. I guess you never know. But I will always believe that unless you are a big time fighter back in the days, guys with limited or no hockey sense, there's not a lot of room for them in the league.

I leave Eberle for guys who has seen him more often. For what I've seen, nothing out of the ordinairy. Pretty Okay to me all around. Yet, when you are an invitee, just okay is never enough.

Analyzer*

Boko is a pinball machine who loves to hit and hits in his sleep. I just don't see any hockey sense that goes with it. Not NHL material. Maybe bottom line AHL'er. Some at one point thought that a guy like Roussel never had any chance of making it (I wasn't one of them....always was a fan) and then he did. I guess you never know. But I will always believe that unless you are a big time fighter back in the days, guys with limited or no hockey sense, there's not a lot of room for them in the league.

I leave Eberle for guys who has seen him more often. For what I've seen, nothing out of the ordinairy. Pretty Okay to me all around. Yet, when you are an invitee, just okay is never enough.

It's Eberle's 2nd time being invited. Im 24CH, Bergevin says they like what they see in him.

Not a scouting report, but it at least identifies that he's not just a random invite.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I have a great interest in seeing the progress of three prospects in camp, two that are Habs draft choices; Mike McCarron(RW/C), Connor Crisp(C/LW) and invite Tyler Hill(LW).

I truly feel the best way to build the team even in Hamilton is to have decent size to complement our smaller great playmakers & scorers. The three above will ensure the safety of our prospects while adding offence, during their development yrs. Hill needs to work on his skating, no doubt, but that's an asset that hard work can fix. In the meantime his abilities to defelect shots, work the boards and be an enforcer are already in place, he just needs experience and good coaching. He could fit very nicely as the Habs resident enforcer for the future, given a couple of yrs. in Hamilton playing with our prospects and learning the Habs system. A 4th liner is probably his upside, but a very solid winger that will backup his teammates, is an important piece in the big picture, IMHO.:nod:

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Rookie camp: Interesting read

An article by MAG in La Presse.

Not as deep as some specialize websites about prospects, but he raises some basic and rational points.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...nterne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_257_accueil_POS1

I find the part about the "open forward spot" particularly interesting and could bring some of us on earth. There is no open spot, just a possibility of carrying one more forward if a kid absolutly makes himself too valuable, which is way different than having kids fighting for a pseudo open spot...

The last part about tryouts is also interesting. Gadoury is an intriguing invite. We don't know much about him, and his results are based on a very small sample, but still, he must have some skills to be able to have those numbers...

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
An article by MAG in La Presse.

Not as deep as some specialize websites about prospects, but he raises some basic and rational points.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...nterne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_257_accueil_POS1

I find the part about the "open forward spot" particularly interesting and could bring some of us on earth. There is no open spot, just a possibility of carrying one more forward if a kid absolutly makes himself too valuable, which is way different than having kids fighting for a pseudo open spot...

The last part about tryouts is also interesting. Gadoury is an intriguing invite. We don't know much about him, and his results are based on a very small sample, but still, he must have some skills to be able to have those numbers...

Gadoury is indeed intriguing. Almost a GPG (32G - 35games), for a junior A player, some kind of late bloomer or slipped under the radar kind of guy.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
GREAT !!!! I'm looking forward to read your reports.

Does anybody know if Dumont can still be send back to the AHL without having to go through waivers?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
GREAT !!!! I'm looking forward to read your reports.

Does anybody know if Dumont can still be send back to the AHL without having to go through waivers?

Pretty sure he has to go through waivers.

As for the article, I hope to God Bournival isn't the solution on the 3rd line RW.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Given that Habs allready have 13 NHL forwards, I would prefer the team to stay that way for the start of the season, but hope they would carry 8 d-men.

Here's my rationnal:

• 13 established forwards is enough, and that would allow the kids to developp and "fight" in the AHL to become the first call-up when needed.
  • Given the relative inexperience of Beaulieu and Tinordi, and given the limitations of Weaver's play, I would be all for having both a RD and LD subs. Tinordi and Beaulieu could alternate on the left side, and Weaver and Nygren/Pateryn could do the same on the Right side.

Then if one of these d-men steal the show, it won't be too late to change the situation and roll a 7 D roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad