Speculation: Ronnie's Roulette - 2022 TDL, news, rumors and discussion - Kraken style

How many trades will we see by Francis?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Very interesting. Both the fact that we have been mentioned as a destination for Dadonov and also the fact that we were not really entertaining moving Soucy.

The very interesting part to me is Friedman talking about us needing offense, which is right, but then bringing up Dadonov even though he's not been able to provide offense since signing that deal before last season.

I know people always talk about that bounce back and "he did it in the past" but offensive players/wingers tend to drop quite a bit once they hit their thirties(unless you're Ovechkin and a few other exceptions) and Dadonov is already 33 and has shown quite some drop off during this past two seasons in Ottawa and Vegas.

So unless Vegas throws us something incredibly nice, I'd just stay away and not help out a division rival.

We could also use that cap space of ours(combined with some of those extra picks) to try and bring in a guy like DeBrusk(or at a similar age) to help with the offense.

BTW: I think keeping Soucy makes sense given he'ss till under contract and there's no need to move him.
The interesting part to me is just how much of a key part they view him as and if they'll try to re-sign him this summer.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The very interesting part to me is Friedman talking about us needing offense, which is right, but then bringing up Dadonov even though he's not been able to provide offense since signing that deal before last season.

I know people always talk about that bounce back and "he did it in the past" but offensive players/wingers tend to drop quite a bit once they hit their thirties(unless you're Ovechkin and a few other exceptions) and Dadonov is already 33 and has shown quite some drop off during this past two seasons in Ottawa and Vegas.

So unless Vegas throws us something incredibly nice, I'd just stay away and not help out a division rival.

We could also use that cap space of ours(combined with some of those extra picks) to try and bring in a guy like DeBrusk(or at a similar age) to help with the offense.

BTW: I think keeping Soucy makes sense given he'ss till under contract and there's no need to move him.
The interesting part to me is just how much of a key part they view him as and if they'll try to re-sign him this summer.
The reason you bring Dadonov in is for the asset that comes with him. DeBrusk will cost a decent asset to acquire. The last two seasons they both have been pretty similar production wise with the slight edge to Dadonov. Clearly DeBrusk is younger so more of a chance to regain his old form. I wouldn't want either but you take Dadonov and the pick.

With regards to Soucy I wonder if they're giving him a more offensive role to see if he could replace Dunn as the top offensive defenseman next season. Dunn has been good but he really has leveled off the last couple of years and hasn't taken the next step. While Soucy is steadily improving and is only 2 years older. Both are due a new contract after next year so maybe they want to see who it is that gets that deal while the other is traded? You have Evans on the way he plays a similar game to Dunn, he could probably be ready for a look after next season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I think Soucy just makes sense because they probably want to elevate him into the top-4 and give him more minutes to see how he does through rest of the season and then potentially evaluate in the off-season if they need more help in the top-4 D or just ride with what we have.

Regarding Dadanov, I think at some point in time Francis will have to take calculated risks of some kind. If he sits on his hands and plays it careful for every trade, he is not going to be able to fast track the build as he wants to. This is low risk move because we have no players who will be deserving raises by the time Dadanov's contract runs out, have enough cap space and are in need for more prospects/picks as well. That is weaponizing cap space in my opinion. We can still get DeBrusk with the extra draft picks that we are sitting on. You could potentially land both Dadanov and DeBrusk not giving away much other than cap space and have cushion for 2 years while you continue letting your prospects develop and ease into the NHL.

This is exactly the kind of move I had in mind when Francis first talked about weaponizing cap space. A lot better to take a useful player like Dadanov than take on a LTIR'd contract or someone buried in the minors.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I think Soucy just makes sense because they probably want to elevate him into the top-4 and give him more minutes to see how he does through rest of the season and then potentially evaluate in the off-season if they need more help in the top-4 D or just ride with what we have.

Regarding Dadanov, I think at some point in time Francis will have to take calculated risks of some kind. If he sits on his hands and plays it careful for every trade, he is not going to be able to fast track the build as he wants to. This is low risk move because we have no players who will be deserving raises by the time Dadanov's contract runs out, have enough cap space and are in need for more prospects/picks as well. That is weaponizing cap space in my opinion. We can still get DeBrusk with the extra draft picks that we are sitting on. You could potentially land both Dadanov and DeBrusk not giving away much other than cap space and have cushion for 2 years while you continue letting your prospects develop and ease into the NHL.

This is exactly the kind of move I had in mind when Francis first talked about weaponizing cap space. A lot better to take a useful player like Dadanov than take on a LTIR'd contract or someone buried in the minors.
BUT BUT...

When I put together my big ol' fancy plan of how to acquire two big names in FA, it didn't include a 5m (since it's a contract we can look at it as 4m for the purposes of my exercise) cap hit for a player worth slightly less than that... NOW I HAVE TO GO BACK AND ADJUST MY NUMBERS! hahaha

Seriously though, if Dadonov comes out and gets .36-.68 ppg as he's been doing the last 3 seasons (.43 this season FYI, which is .02 worse than Wennberg, whose cap hit is only 500k less)... if we can get a 1st JUST FOR TAKING HIM... I guess it's fine. I mean, it's for 1 season.

Do you take a couple 2nd's though? Do you give up a late round pick to get the 2024 1st as part of the deal? Like a 1st and Dadonov for a 4th and 7th? Is that worth it? The more I think about it, the more I consider it for sure.

I'm curious and feel like the conversation is around what is the minimum leverage you exercise to obtain Dadonov?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
BUT BUT...

When I put together my big ol' fancy plan of how to acquire two big names in FA, it didn't include a 5m (since it's a contract we can look at it as 4m for the purposes of my exercise) cap hit for a player worth slightly less than that... NOW I HAVE TO GO BACK AND ADJUST MY NUMBERS! hahaha

Seriously though, if Dadonov comes out and gets .36-.68 ppg as he's been doing the last 3 seasons (.43 this season FYI, which is .02 worse than Wennberg, whose cap hit is only 500k less)... if we can get a 1st JUST FOR TAKING HIM... I guess it's fine. I mean, it's for 1 season.

Do you take a couple 2nd's though? Do you give up a late round pick to get the 2024 1st as part of the deal? Like a 1st and Dadonov for a 4th and 7th? Is that worth it? The more I think about it, the more I consider it for sure.

I'm curious and feel like the conversation is around what is the minimum leverage you exercise to obtain Dadonov?
My preference for him would be getting a solid prospect > 1st round pick > 2 x 2nds. DeBrusk's value is hard to predict because if he goes on a tear in the playoffs, it is going to change. I would not be interested in giving a 1st round pick for DeBrusk. He is a good young player but has never hit more than 43 points in a season. If we can get him for 2 x 2nds, great. If not use them elsewhere.

Based on the level of competition to get Dadanov + 1st RD pick, I would be more than willing to send back a 4th + 7th back. i.e a combination of mid-to-late picks is fine in my opinion.

I don't remember the numbers exactly but we are sitting with 23M+ in cap space with only our RFA's to re-sign. Dadanov + DeBrusk would still give us enough cap space to play with to get another FA. Though that being said, if we are lucky enough to get both, I would try to not spend much in FA.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I really don't think DeBrusk should even be considered. The past two seasons he's played 99 games with 20g 20a 40p. We already have Schwartz so that's one top 6 LW spot gone. Berniers might take the other or McCann if they play him at C, so DeBrusk maybe a 3rd liner. Well for 3rd line options you have Tanev who's played 62 games has 16g 15a 31p, so a better ppg average. You could sign Sprong super cheap he's played 90 games 22g 13a 35p over that time. If you somehow land Dadonov he's got better numbers too. I just think the cost to acquire, probably 2nd, isn't worth what DeBrusk offers.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I really don't think DeBrusk should even be considered. The past two seasons he's played 99 games with 20g 20a 40p. We already have Schwartz so that's one top 6 LW spot gone. Berniers might take the other or McCann if they play him at C, so DeBrusk maybe a 3rd liner. Well for 3rd line options you have Tanev who's played 62 games has 16g 15a 31p, so a better ppg average. You could sign Sprong super cheap he's played 90 games 22g 13a 35p over that time. If you somehow land Dadonov he's got better numbers too. I just think the cost to acquire, probably 2nd, isn't worth what DeBrusk offers.
One concern for me could DeBrusk seems to miss quite a lot of games every season. While I don't see much upside in him outside of a middle-6 winger where he is likely to play on the 3rd line on good teams. For now on our team he is below McCann, Gourde, Schwartz and Eberle. He can earn a spot on the 2nd line for now while Beniers adapts to the NHL. But if DW does make a FA acquisition that is an upgrade in the top-6 AND Beniers is ready to step in right away, that would make DeBrusk a 3rd line player even on our team. I would be very reluctant to move a 1st for DeBrusk. 2 x 2nd is the most I would do.

That being said, that is a rather optimistic outlook for us. I do not realistically expect Beniers to be impactful in the top-6 though I certainly hope he shocks me. Also, If DeBrusk shows that he clicks at all, it gives us flexibility to flip Eberle sooner than later.

I have started looking at players as more of asset management over the last few years. You make a move that sets you up for the future should you choose to walk away from them (trade them) OR cornerstones for a while. You don't' always acquire a player to be a cornerstone. Sometimes stop-gaps are essential and actually help us reach our end goal sooner than later.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The reason you bring Dadonov in is for the asset that comes with him. DeBrusk will cost a decent asset to acquire. The last two seasons they both have been pretty similar production wise with the slight edge to Dadonov. Clearly DeBrusk is younger so more of a chance to regain his old form. I wouldn't want either but you take Dadonov and the pick.

With regards to Soucy I wonder if they're giving him a more offensive role to see if he could replace Dunn as the top offensive defenseman next season. Dunn has been good but he really has leveled off the last couple of years and hasn't taken the next step. While Soucy is steadily improving and is only 2 years older. Both are due a new contract after next year so maybe they want to see who it is that gets that deal while the other is traded? You have Evans on the way he plays a similar game to Dunn, he could probably be ready for a look after next season.

1) What kind of assets do you think we could get on top of that by Vegas?
If it's just some 2nd rounder I don't really care too much for it given that it would probably be a later one and we already have a bunch of them.

2) DeBrusk is just a name that has been linked with us.
It could also be another player, with upside, that just needs more playing time in order to blossom.
Think about a guy like J.T. Miller who would've never gotten anywhere near enough minutes and chances and now looks like a world beater playing in Vancouver.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
One concern for me could DeBrusk seems to miss quite a lot of games every season. While I don't see much upside in him outside of a middle-6 winger where he is likely to play on the 3rd line on good teams. For now on our team he is below McCann, Gourde, Schwartz and Eberle. He can earn a spot on the 2nd line for now while Beniers adapts to the NHL. But if DW does make a FA acquisition that is an upgrade in the top-6 AND Beniers is ready to step in right away, that would make DeBrusk a 3rd line player even on our team. I would be very reluctant to move a 1st for DeBrusk. 2 x 2nd is the most I would do.

That being said, that is a rather optimistic outlook for us. I do not realistically expect Beniers to be impactful in the top-6 though I certainly hope he shocks me. Also, If DeBrusk shows that he clicks at all, it gives us flexibility to flip Eberle sooner than later.

I have started looking at players as more of asset management over the last few years. You make a move that sets you up for the future should you choose to walk away from them (trade them) OR cornerstones for a while. You don't' always acquire a player to be a cornerstone. Sometimes stop-gaps are essential and actually help us reach our end goal sooner than later.
2 x 2nd for DeBrusk is a huge overpay, Boston would jump all over that. He still has his trade request out there and his production is down the last two years from the two before that. His production is average, on the up playing with studs like Marchand and Bergeron, he's not physical and doesn't PK. He's just an average winger making 4M for two more years before he's a UFA. Not a player you should trade really 1 2nd for.

Guys I would consider moving a package like 2 x 2nd, not sure the other team would though. Kapanen - similar aged with more consistent production, can PK, fast and is a RW which is a weaker position. Gurianov - slightly younger, steady production, left shot but plays RW, is an RFA so can be signed to a better deal than for just 2 years even if the AAV is higher. Guys who will cost more Fiala - legit top 6 winger, Minnesota will be having trouble paying him. Boeser - qualifying offer is very high and production slipped a little recently, would Vancouver trade with Seattle, will he just take the QO and go the Trouba route where he tries to do it again next year to get to UFA faster? Think there's better players out there for the price.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If it's just some 2nd rounder I don't really care too much for it given that it would probably be a later one and we already have a bunch of them.

It could also be another player, with upside, that just needs more playing time in order to blossom.
Think about a guy like J.T. Miller who would've never gotten anywhere near enough minutes and chances and now looks like a world beater playing in Vancouver.

Was it Servelli or Friedman who said 1st + 3rd/4th? That's an easy yes even without the mid pick. I suggested a 2nd + Dorofeyev or Korzcak on the main boards.

Miller cost a 1st +, I don't think Seattle is in a position to pay that price. But yes they should shoot higher if they are using high picks. It's also risky because Miller could have just remained a talented player who just didn't hit that next level. I mentioned a few names in my other post.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Playing devils advocate here on the bolded. Do you feel there is much better use of cap space for us? Lets say 5M dollars next season gets us a serviceable player who could bounce back and 2 x 2nd round picks. Even if he stays at the same level, some team is likely to want him at 50% at the TDL. So lets say 2 x 2nd + 3rd for 5M dollars. I know I would do it for sure.

DeBrusk could step up and blossom. But he is yet to show consistency on a good Bruins team. The ups and down in our team are more likely to happen given the uncertainty of our roster. I am perfectly fine taking a chance on him but I still won't want to pay more than 2 x 2nd. This is a long shot but if you can get Dadanov + 2 x 2nds and then flip those 2 x 2nds in the off-season you get 1 year of Dadanov and 2 years of DeBrusk for nothing but the salary you are paying them. It is such a low risk move in my mind because we are not close to the cap NOR are we likely to land any big FA. The combined cap space of both those players is 9M. It still leaves us enough cap space to buy a big FA if we choose to do so AND still have cap space left over to re-sign all our RFA's.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Playing devils advocate here on the bolded. Do you feel there is much better use of cap space for us? Lets say 5M dollars next season gets us a serviceable player who could bounce back and 2 x 2nd round picks. Even if he stays at the same level, some team is likely to want him at 50% at the TDL. So lets say 2 x 2nd + 3rd for 5M dollars. I know I would do it for sure.

DeBrusk could step up and blossom. But he is yet to show consistency on a good Bruins team. The ups and down in our team are more likely to happen given the uncertainty of our roster. I am perfectly fine taking a chance on him but I still won't want to pay more than 2 x 2nd. This is a long shot but if you can get Dadanov + 2 x 2nds and then flip those 2 x 2nds in the off-season you get 1 year of Dadanov and 2 years of DeBrusk for nothing but the salary you are paying them. It is such a low risk move in my mind because we are not close to the cap NOR are we likely to land any big FA. The combined cap space of both those players is 9M. It still leaves us enough cap space to buy a big FA if we choose to do so AND still have cap space left over to re-sign all our RFA's.

I wouldn't do it for 2 2nds right now. I'd do it in the off-season, but the leverage is gone so he wouldn't fetch that. You'd need to make sure DeBrusk was happening. It seems like a higher risk move IF you can get a first. More to play with there to acquire players better than DeBrusk. We also have enough 2nds to do that anyway.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I wouldn't do it for 2 2nds right now. I'd do it in the off-season, but the leverage is gone so he wouldn't fetch that. You'd need to make sure DeBrusk was happening. It seems like a higher risk move IF you can get a first. More to play with there to acquire players better than DeBrusk. We also have enough 2nds to do that anyway.
I would. But it's just because I see this more of a long-term investment. You get 2 x 2nds for him + you get something more next TDL. Ofcourse, I prefer a 1st but I think this is a very low risk for us to take. It's free assets at the end of the day.

If the highest offer you get from Vegas is 2 x 2nd's and you don't take it you are just losing out on free assets. It would be like Francis refusing to trade Gio because he couldn't get a 1st. Things would be different if were going to have cap problems in the next 2 seasons but that is really not the case. This roster, for all the crap Francis gets, has lot of moveable pieces. For the 2023-24 season currently, the only F's we have on contract are Eberle, Schwartz, Gourde, McCann and Wennberg. Dadanov will be off the books by the start of the season or re-signed if he is a good fit.

If we do sign DeBrusk, it's again a low risk move since in the 2024-25 season we also have Wennberg and Eberle off the books. This roster can take a leap by low risks like this and be a much better team next season.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Btw Dbrusk already signed a new contract. We would been acquiring a RFA player if that didn't happen which is why no one traded for him at the deadline. If anyone trades for him in the next off-season his new contract would be 2 years at 4m AAV.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I would. But it's just because I see this more of a long-term investment. You get 2 x 2nds for him + you get something more next TDL. Ofcourse, I prefer a 1st but I think this is a very low risk for us to take. It's free assets at the end of the day.

If the highest offer you get from Vegas is 2 x 2nd's and you don't take it you are just losing out on free assets. It would be like Francis refusing to trade Gio because he couldn't get a 1st. Things would be different if were going to have cap problems in the next 2 seasons but that is really not the case. This roster, for all the crap Francis gets, has lot of moveable pieces. For the 2023-24 season currently, the only F's we have on contract are Eberle, Schwartz, Gourde, McCann and Wennberg. Dadanov will be off the books by the start of the season or re-signed if he is a good fit.

If we do sign DeBrusk, it's again a low risk move since in the 2024-25 season we also have Wennberg and Eberle off the books. This roster can take a leap by low risks like this and be a much better team next season.
I would definitely take two 2nds for Dadonov cap dump, while he's grossly overpaid he still makes this team better. His 15 goals ties him for third on his club, and likewise for Seattle. It's a no brainer, even though he wouldn't be eligible to play this season since the TDL has past.

Vegas is obviously willing to throw a 2nd for the cap dump, the question is if they're willing to add more. They've got a long list of injured players, so it depends on when and who gets healthy. Their playoff picture is also a bit murky. If a deal happens in the offseason, I'd still do it.

As for Debrusk, what a weird situation. They basically gave UFA money to an RFA, no interest in a trade for him at all.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I would definitely take two 2nds for Dadonov cap dump, while he's grossly overpaid he still makes this team better. His 15 goals ties him for third on his club, and likewise for Seattle. It's a no brainer, even though he wouldn't be eligible to play this season since the TDL has past.

Vegas is obviously willing to throw a 2nd for the cap dump, the question is if they're willing to add more. They've got a long list of injured players, so it depends on when and who gets healthy. Their playoff picture is also a bit murky. If a deal happens in the offseason, I'd still do it.

As for Debrusk, what a weird situation. They basically gave UFA money to an RFA, no interest in a trade for him at all.
Yeah. I am not really sold on DeBrusk either. I would take him on the cheap because I don't think we lose many assets on that trade but I really don't see him being a game changer for us either. He is very inconsistent and we don't need that on this roster.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
If you look at Lazar and Larsson's body of work, with Buffalo and without, they are both very effective.

Larsson is actually really strong in any shut-down role, but I would be hesitant to give him too much, because although I love the player, he has a really hard time staying healthy.

If ownership is on board with throwing away millions for extra draft picks, than that is a legitimate "get rich quick" plan (for the team that is, it's a get poor quick plan for ownership), but if they are on board, then I say go for it as well.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt they are, so I was trying to bring a little bit of realistic perspective here. It is usually unrealistic when fans float ideas for owners to throw millions away for draft capital. But I guess we can dream :nod:
Larsson's done too much losing and as you say he's not very durable. Lazar works hard but he's a bottom line guy and can't score if his life depends on it. There are plenty of 4th line guys out there as good or better. If you want to fill out a roster with a cheap utility guy (like Boston has with Lazar) because you have cap issues that's fine, but these guys are not guys you build a team with.

If you want a cheap 4th liner I'd target DesLauriers myself. Tough as nails, decent PK guy and a good team guy. But you pay him 4th line money.
Vinnnie Honostroza might be a relatively cheap gamble if you want a Buffalo player (lol). He's fast and can actually score. Might be a good cheap placeholder until one or more of the kids is ready.

Andrew Copp is the guy I might overpay in free agency though. I suspect he will be popular, but with the right term, I think he'd be a good fit.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I've got no problem of us taking on a contract that comes along with pick(s) and/or prospect(s).

I just don't think taking on a guy with a $5M cap hit and offensive struggles is worth it for just some late 2nd round pick.
Doing so would limit the Kraken's chances of doing much roster wise(our cap space isn't that huge once you've resigned everyone you want to keep) and that's just not worth it for picks that will be somewhere in the 50 - 60 range.

Because of that I'd rather look and see if we can use our cap space, combined with some of those extra picks we've got right now, to try and get a player that can help us right now.

BTW: I've listened to the Chris Johnston Show and there are some interesting facts about Dadonov.
- he might have a $5M cap hit, but the actual salary will be over $6M
- he could still get traded right now, but not play for his new team this season
- Johnston thought that right now it's going to cost Vegas at least a 1st round pick to get rid off him

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Larsson's done too much losing and as you say he's not very durable. Lazar works hard but he's a bottom line guy and can't score if his life depends on it. There are plenty of 4th line guys out there as good or better. If you want to fill out a roster with a cheap utility guy (like Boston has with Lazar) because you have cap issues that's fine, but these guys are not guys you build a team with.

If you want a cheap 4th liner I'd target DesLauriers myself. Tough as nails, decent PK guy and a good team guy. But you pay him 4th line money.
Vinnnie Honostroza might be a relatively cheap gamble if you want a Buffalo player (lol). He's fast and can actually score. Might be a good cheap placeholder until one or more of the kids is ready.

Andrew Copp is the guy I might overpay in free agency though. I suspect he will be popular, but with the right term, I think he'd be a good fit.
I have mentioned Hinostroza before as a good target. He is criminally under rated. Guy can fly, has good spacial awareness, and can play up and down the line-up and do whatever is asked of him. He doesn't have a elite finishing skills, but he can compliment in the top six and brings value there, although he really is a better third-line guy.

I think Lazar is better defensively in his own zone than people realize. He reads the play well, and closes lanes both at even strength and on the PK. He's much stronger defensively than the league average run of the mill fourth liner, but I agree, he is not going to boost your score-sheet.

I like Copp, but I worry that one, he is going to get paid this offseason, and two, I don't think his skillset is really what this team is lacking. (at least not enough to justify the UFA contract he is going to demand this offseason.

Don't get me wrong, he would be an upgrade on a lot of guys on this roster, but this team is full of guys that are complimentary that can finish, but need to play with playmakers to really produce. Copp is not a guy that is going to bring more out of the guys that are all ready here, which I think should be the priority,

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
If Beniers is playing for Seattle he needs to be a Center from the start and I can confidently say he will handle it and excel
No, that's not true. Center is a more demanding position. There is nothing wrong with pairing him with a solid center for a while, learning, adapting, and eventually switching over. The key is to bring him along slowly and teach him . People who think he will just step in and excel day 1 next year need to take a step back and be more realistic.

This is why I'd be in favour of signing a guy like Copp. He's arguably a 3C but he's a hard working guy that plays the right way and would be a solid influence for a team with developing players. As the kids step up Copp would drop back down the line up and when he was down to the 3rd line again we'd know we are now good and competitive.

Reactions: Irie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad