Speculation: Ronnie's Roulette - 2022 TDL, news, rumors and discussion - Kraken style

How many trades will we see by Francis?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
As we all know the trading deadline is getting closer and closer.

It will be an important moment for Ron Francis in trying to built this team into a playoff competitor and requires him to be intelligent and creative to maximise the assets currently on the team.

There's a bit over five weeks left for Francis(and all other GM's) to scour the market and try to get the best deals possible for their assets.

When's the deadline?
March 21st, 2022

Ronnie's assets:

Mark Giordano(LHD)
The first ever captain of the Kraken has shown good leadership, on and off the ice, while also still producing at a decent rate.
Though, he's also shown his age at moments and probably won't be back anyways.
Still whith his pedigree and name he should draw a lot of interest and there's already rumors about the Panthers and Rangeres being interested.

Calle Jarnkrok(LW, C, RW)
The swedisch forward is a do it all kind of forward who can either play in the top or bottom six and in all situations or forward positions.
After a tough start he's gotten into a rhythm during the past two months or so and should have increased his trade value.

Collin Blackwell(LW, C, RW)
Just like Jarnkrok, Blackwell has gotten better as the season's progressed and looked especially good while playing on a line with Gourde and Jarnkrok.
He can also play in all situations and add some scoring touch, like he's shown last season in New York.

Marcus Johansson(LW, C, RW)
Offensively talented forward who's had injury problems during the last couple of years and lost some of his effectiveness.
Though, he can still help in certain situations and adding him as a depth forward could be interesting for competing teams.

Riley Sheahan(C)
Hard working fourth liner with next to no offensive game.
Already getting through waivers might help his value but I wouldn't expect much interest or more than a 7th rounder in return.

Besides the listes UFA's there's a chance Francis might move guys with either term left or upcoming RFA status, if the price is right and they aren't deemed as being part of the core group.

Candidates?

Carson Soucy(LHD)
Soucy's a talented defensmen that can play both sides and basically brings everything a contending team might want in order to make a push and get more than just one playoff run by trading for him.

Mason Appleton(RW, C)
Appleton was one of the guys a lot of people were really excited to see in a Kraken jersey but so far he's not been all that great.
Though, with him still being an RFA and having to deal with injury and Covid, there's probably a good chance he'll stick around.

Haydn Fleury(LHD)
Just like Soucy he's a guy that can play both sides(but probably should be kept on the left side more) and has shown some flashes.
Though he's been quite inconsistant and found himself a healthy scratch for quite a lot of games.

Chris Driedger(G)
Driedger was seen as the 1A option after the expansion draft but had to conced this role as soon as the team signed Grubauer.
He actually has a better SV%(which still isn't great) and looked good at times, but he's owed $3.5 M a year for the next two seasons and might be a bit pricey to keep as a backup to Grubauer, who makes $5.9M.

Overall Francis should have a lot of chips to play with(like he stated when he said that he's listening to offers on everyone) and needs to be able to capitalize on this to help himself building this roster.

Anyways, I just thought it would be nice to have a seperate thread to specifically discuss the TDL and rumors surrounding it and the Kraken.

So let's have some fun and interesting discussions in here.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I say 4 trades with 5 players being traded.

Giordano + Blackwell to New York for 22 1st + Cuylle, originally had Jones but forward prospects are needed more than LD, + 23 3rd. I know Giordano has a NTC so not sure if he wants to go to the Eastern conference, he's been a western conference guy so maybe for family reasons so might make moving him tougher. Rangers could use additional bottom 6 help and they're familiar with Blackwell.

Jankrok to Washington for Hagelin + 22 2nd + 23 4th.

Johansson 50% retained to Colorado for 23 5th + 22 7th.

Sheahan + Colorado 7th to Minnesota for 22 6th.

In 22 1st + 22 2nd + 22 6th + 23 rd + 23 4th + 23 5th. Plus Cuylle.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I say 4 trades with 5 players being traded.

Giordano + Blackwell to New York for 22 1st + Cuylle, originally had Jones but forward prospects are needed more than LD, + 23 3rd. I know Giordano has a NTC so not sure if he wants to go to the Eastern conference, he's been a western conference guy so maybe for family reasons so might make moving him tougher. Rangers could use additional bottom 6 help and they're familiar with Blackwell.

Jankrok to Washington for Hagelin + 22 2nd + 23 4th.

Johansson 50% retained to Colorado for 23 5th + 22 7th.

Sheahan + Colorado 7th to Minnesota for 22 6th.

In 22 1st + 22 2nd + 22 6th + 23 rd + 23 4th + 23 5th. Plus Cuylle.

I have no idea about Cuylie so cannot comment much about the value in the Gio trade. The Jarnkrok trade makes no sense to me simply because Hagelin is signed for another year and his AAV is more than Jarnkrok's. Not sure if 2nd + 4th is good enough value there from our POV.

Return on Johansson and Sheahan is going to be small and I am genuinely not too concerned about that simply because they are unlikely to be re-signed anyway.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I have no idea about Cuylie so cannot comment much about the value in the Gio trade. The Jarnkrok trade makes no sense to me simply because Hagelin is signed for another year and his AAV is more than Jarnkrok's. Not sure if 2nd + 4th is good enough value there from our POV.

Return on Johansson and Sheahan is going to be small and I am genuinely not too concerned about that simply because they are unlikely to be re-signed anyway.

Cuylle is a big goal scoring winger, 6'3 over 200lbs. Late 2nd in 20 but made team Canada for the WJC this year. Needs work on his overall game but can shot it lights out and you can't have enough good shooters on your team.

The Jankrok trade I selected is because the 2nd will be Winnipegs who I don't see making the playoffs. So it'll be in the first half of the 2nd round rather than a late 2nd that most contenders will be offering. So the higher 2nd plus 4th is to take on Hagelin. Hagelin can be a decent bottom 6 player next year and then flipped at the deadline, yes he's overpaid but it'd take the cap dump for the best 2nd available.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Seattle can and should make 6 trades or more based on the number of expiring contracts at the NHL level. They're out of the playoffs anyway so should maximize their return.

Based on what's happened so far, however, Francis will probably only make 1-2 moves. He'll probably move Gio and maybe one of Jarnkrok, Johnasson or Blackwell.

If there's a draft pick included from the Toronto side Francis should go after Nick Ritchie, LW. If Seattle only has to give up something like future considerations it would be a win/win deal for both teams. Seattle gets a pick (For helping the Leafs free up roughly 3ish million in cap space) and a player. Ritchie can fill a roster spot for the rest of the season and if he's still around next season can be flipped at the '23 deadline.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Seattle can and should make 6 trades or more based on the number of expiring contracts at the NHL level. They're out of the playoffs anyway so should maximize their return.

Based on what's happened so far, however, Francis will probably only make 1-2 moves. He'll probably move Gio and maybe one of Jarnkrok, Johnasson or Blackwell.

If there's a draft pick included from the Toronto side Francis should go after Nick Ritchie, LW. If Seattle only has to give up something like future considerations it would be a win/win deal for both teams. Seattle gets a pick (For helping the Leafs free up roughly 3ish million in cap space) and a player. Ritchie can fill a roster spot for the rest of the season and if he's still around next season can be flipped at the '23 deadline.

Ritchie was let go by Boston last offseason and hasn't worked out for Toronto(who need to get rid of him thanks to their cap problems) at all.
He also cleared waivers without anyone being interested in his contract, thanks to his play.

So unless there's a very nice incentive attached to him(especially if we'd move someone solid to Toronto) I want no part of that player.

He just can't skate with most NHL players and wouldn't be a guy you could just flip at next years TDL.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
So unless there's a very nice incentive attached to him(especially if we'd move someone solid to Toronto) I want no part of that player.
I agree. It doesn't (and shouldn't) work without a draft pick attached. From what I have read and heard he's OK if he's in the right system but that's about it.

I have no idea why Toronto signed him (Unless they saw him as one of those 'sand papery' kind of players) so now that they're trying to get rid of him they should definitely have to pay.

I suggest Seattle could flip him because with the right coaching he may turn into a useful player a playoff bound team may want at the '23 deadline. If that's the case then Seattle would get a second pick in the deal.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I agree. It doesn't (and shouldn't) work without a draft pick attached. From what I have read and heard he's OK if he's in the right system but that's about it.

I have no idea why Toronto signed him (Unless they saw him as one of those 'sand papery' kind of players) so now that they're trying to get rid of him they should definitely have to pay.

I suggest Seattle could flip him because with the right coaching he may turn into a useful player a playoff bound team may want at the '23 deadline. If that's the case then Seattle would get a second pick in the deal.
I think Ritchie could potentially turn it around and become a bottom-6 guy who can chip in with 25-30 points a season but I am not sure if he does that with us. And if he does not, there is little to no chance that we could flip him at the next TDL. He has negative value right now and is pretty much a cap dump.

We certainly have flexibility to take his contract on and worst case bury him in the minors like the Leafs are doing but we need to have a real good reason to do so.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I think like @Fistfullofbeer Ritchie could turn it around but it's a gamble we'd take that has another year at a $2.5M cap hit attached to it with the actualy salary(contract is back loaded) being more than that.

The Leafs signed him because they need to take chances with the little cap room they have and hoped he could help them with his physicality.
Though, his skating just doesn't allow him to work out in their system and I don't see us as a slow paced team either.

Because of that gamble I'm not sure I'd take on that contract, unless they add somethign really nice, because there's just no reason for it.
We'd probably be better off using those $2.5M in cap space to sign someone else during free agency.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

There will likely be twice as many players on the trading block as there are teams looking to add UFAs for the playoffs.

There is just no possible way there are 6 takers for Seattle players this TDL.

And yes, in theory, it would be smart to move out as many players as possible for futures if the return is adequate, but it takes two teams to make a trade, and expecting Francis to find six deals, especially with what he has to trade, is just not realistic.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There will likely be twice as many players on the trading block as there are teams looking to add UFAs for the playoffs.

There is just no possible way there are 6 takers for Seattle players this TDL.

And yes, in theory, it would be smart to move out as many players as possible for futures if the return is adequate, but it takes two teams to make a trade, and expecting Francis to find six deals, especially with what he has to trade, is just not realistic.

Never mind that would keep us rather thin in terms of ahl pool of call ups

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
In my trade with Washington I took back Hagelin who has a similar contract left like Ritchie. In that Seattle got a 4th and a higher 2nd than they would from a normal playoff team. So I have taking Hagelin value as around a 3rd. Toronto would need to add a 3rd to Ritchie for Seattle to take him. I think though that Ritchie is a worse player, his skating stinks while Hagelin is a very good skater so is much more useful.

As for the AHL you can just get teams to toss in an AHL body in the deal. Or trade future considerations for a body or two that will never become anything. Also with the late trade deadline the NCAA season will be close to over so you can sign a guy or two there.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
You know what is the best way to build a legit AHL pool without the risk of losing players to waivers? Build a prospect pool by drafting more players and having them on our AHL team.

Umm what has that got to do with seattle trading players at the TDL....

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
You seriously think Seattle is going to get rid of 1/4 to a 1/3 or more of its players at the deadline?
No. But it would not be due to their concern about AHL callups. It would simply be because there is not enough market for the players we are trying to sell.

Also, it has been pointed out by someone else in the past that there is a good chance that the trades we make return cap dumps and/or players we can plug in till the end of the season.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Never mind that would keep us rather thin in terms of ahl pool of call ups

Who cares?

We're going to trade with teams that are close to the cap and need to create room by trading players back to us.

And worst case, about your concern, Francis can just do what he did the last couple of weeks by claiming guys off the waiver wire to fill out the roster.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The Toffoli trade makes me think the market for sellers isn't quite as bad as some folks think.

Yeah, that deal looks pretty good for Montreal but Toffoli's also under contract for two more years, producing pretty well and also has a Stanley Cup pedigree under Sutter back in L.A.

And the deadline deals are starting early so there's time to get a lot of dealing done.

I also thought that with five more weeks to go.

Gonna be interesting to see if Francis can get something done.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad