Ronalds ĶēniņÅ¡ -- Ronnies Hockeys -- The Mightiest of Latvians.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Played with ZSC in Switzerland last season, 3-14-17 in 45 regular season games and 4-4-8 in 12 playoff games. Average sized, 6' 200+ pounds.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Sweet! I thought he was very impressive in the scrimmage and Baumer said he was good throughout the week. Hopefully he will play with the Comets, will be a good addition to the top 6.

arsmaster*

Sweet! I thought he was very impressive in the scrimmage and Baumer said he was good throughout the week. Hopefully he will play with the Comets, will be a good addition to the top 6.

Playmaking winger for Jensen?

I hope so.

Pseudonymous*

hockeydb's listed heigh is incorrect, figured i'd just let people know. they have him listed at 6'4. He is 6 foot.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
He didn't look 200lbs in the scrimmage, but he did look like he knew what he was doing. I am pleased by this signing. No particular downside other than a contract slot.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Who was the other Latvian we brought in that a lot of people were excited about? His name leaves my mind right now. But did Kenins outshine him?

Also, what's the scoop on Kenins?

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Who was the other Latvian we brought in that a lot of people were excited about? His name leaves my mind right now. But did Kenins outshine him?

Also, what's the scoop on Kenins?

The other one was Miks Indrašis - played in KHL, did a Granlund lacrosse goal and is generally considered as one of the very best young Latvian forwards.

Tbh, I am curious why Vancouver signed Ķēniņš. Also, Ķēniņš has (had?) a valid contract with ZSC for the upcoming season.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Playmaking winger for Jensen?

I hope so.
They did look good together with Gaunce! We are always in need of playmaking wingers, a rare breed nowadays!

Tbh, I am curious why Vancouver signed ĶēniņÅ¡. Also, ĶēniņÅ¡ has (had?) a valid contract with ZSC for the upcoming season.

Perusing twitter, it says he will join the Canucks in 2014/15, staying on a loan to ZSC for this upcoming season. Shame if true, I'd have like to see him sooner.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
They did look good together with Gaunce! We are always in need of playmaking wingers, a rare breed nowadays!

Perusing twitter, it says he will join the Canucks in 2014/15, staying on a loan to ZSC for this upcoming season. Shame if true, I'd have like to see him sooner.

Ahh rats. Well, we'll probably get to see him play in Socchi at least?

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
The other one was Miks Indrašis - played in KHL, did a Granlund lacrosse goal and is generally considered as one of the very best young Latvian forwards.

Tbh, I am curious why Vancouver signed ĶēniņÅ¡. Also, ĶēniņÅ¡ has (had?) a valid contract with ZSC for the upcoming season.

Between the two, who would you say is the more complete player?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
He probably has a valid contract without an NHL-out clause and as the NHL and the NLA still don't have a transfer-agreement there is no easy way out of this.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Well, we'll probably get to see him play in Socchi at least?

I would expect that to happen.

Between the two, who would you say is the more complete player?

To be fair, I haven't seen that much of Ķēniņš as he plays all the way over in Swiss and I usually fail to watch Latvian nat team games, so it's hard for me to compare them skillwise.

Still, I believe that Ķēniņš is more mature as a player than Indrašis, I also guess he is more reliable and stable. I can't think of a distinctive downside that he has.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Ķēniņš is nothing more than a 3d/4th line workhorse,with very limited skill.Dont expect anything supernatural from this guy.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
ĶēniņÅ¡ is nothing more than a 3d/4th line workhorse,with very limited skill.Dont expect anything supernatural from this guy.

I believe it is reasonable to expect Kenins to be able to transform into a bat and fly.

Pseudonymous*

ĶēniņÅ¡ is nothing more than a 3d/4th line workhorse,with very limited skill.Dont expect anything supernatural from this guy.

Now im going to look like a real 'a hole' wearing my Kenins NHL All Star Jersey , i had it ordered in anticipation as soon as i heard.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
To be fair, I haven't seen that much of ĶēniņÅ¡ as he plays all the way over in Swiss and I usually fail to watch Latvian nat team games, so it's hard for me to compare them skillwise.

Still, I believe that ĶēniņÅ¡ is more mature as a player than IndraÅ¡is, I also guess he is more reliable and stable. I can't think of a distinctive downside that he has.

Much more complete player than Indrasis. Kenins has good speed, hustle and he works hard everywhere on the ice. Indrasis was slow, soft and had very poor complete level. That isn't going to cut it in smaller rinks and more intense play style.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His diacritics-per-letter ratio is off the charts -- you have to like that about a player.

Not since Tero Määttä was drafted by San Jose in 1995 has a young player shown such potential ...

As for Kenins - he looked great in the prospect camp, and glad we're giving him a longer look. Good skater, and had a great motor - busted his ass to pressure the puck all over the ice, and covered more ground than any player there. Made things happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad