Ronalds ĶēniņÅ¡ -- Ronnies Hockeys -- The Mightiest of Latvians.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
I've always been a strong Gillis supporter. He wasn't without his faults, but after some of these young guys like Kenins and Horvat start making an impact I hope some of the haters realize what he did for this organization. He's definitely one of our better GMs.

If not first, second only to PQ.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Kenins (IMO) has been the second best Canuck in this series so far, behind only Horvat.

He's contributed at both ends of the rink, been really the only physical answer to Ferland and it seems like his line always makes something happen in the limited time they have.

I could see this guy being the new Burr, hard working guy who gives it all every game and finds a scoring touch of some sort.

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Let the might of Ronnies Hocky help the Canucks to survive this series.

I have written an article - The Clash of the Titans - how two mighty Latvians met on NHL ice in 12th December, 1989 game against Canucks and North Stars. The article is pretty poor because the lack of information about that game, season and personal lifes. I would appreciate any contribution about this game and personal life of Harols Snepsts - press releases or some online archive of press releases, pictures and video footage. Send me a PM or mail if you have some leads. Let us keep the history alive.

Regards

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Paterson's article on TSN:

Sven Baertschi, acquired by the Canucks at the trade deadline from the Flames, will be inserted into the lineup for Game 5 and will skate on the left side on a line with Nick Bonino and Radim Vrbata. while Shawn Matthias moves to the middle to centre Chris Higgins and Brandon McMillan. That leaves Jannik Hansen to play right wing with the Sedins and Derek Dorsett moving on to a line with Bo Horvat and Ronalds Kenins.

http://www.tsn.ca/canucks-playoff-potluck-change-is-coming-1.264005

Edit: don't like the move to split up Kenins-Horvat-Hansen. Frustrating.

And my bad, disregard the first version of this post. Misread it for some reason. :laugh:

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Let the might of Ronnies Hocky help the Canucks to survive this series.

I have written an article - The Clash of the Titans - how two mighty Latvians met on NHL ice in 12th December, 1989 game against Canucks and North Stars. The article is pretty poor because the lack of information about that game, season and personal lifes. I would appreciate any contribution about this game and personal life of Harols Snepsts - press releases or some online archive of press releases, pictures and video footage. Send me a PM or mail if you have some leads. Let us keep the history alive.

Regards

Also Dynamo Riga came to play the Canucks that year on Dec 31. Arturs Irbe in net.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
So what do you guys think -- does Kenins stick with the team for the 2015/16 season? And if so, how much ice time does he warrant and ultimately how much better do you think he gets as a player?

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
So what do you guys think -- does Kenins stick with the team for the 2015/16 season? And if so, how much ice time does he warrant and ultimately how much better do you think he gets as a player?

I think he absolutely should be in a spot next year. But someone is going to have to go from the veteran forwards to make that so.

The way I see it Matthias gets replaced by Baertschi
Richardson gets replaced by one of Gaunce/Cassels/McCann

So we have something like

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Kassian
Dorsett-4C-Hansen
Vey

Someones gotta go. Burrows would be my first casualty.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Baring an awful summer and a poor showing in camp he absolutely should be brought back for a bottom six role next season. He's cheap, he's fast, he's physical and he's got some skill. If he gets a better sense of when to play safe and when to try and make a play he'll be a very valuable player.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Baring an awful summer and a poor showing in camp he absolutely should be brought back for a bottom six role next season. He's cheap, he's fast, he's physical and he's got some skill. If he gets a better sense of when to play safe and when to try and make a play he'll be a very valuable player.

Yeah, obviously like any young player (well, perhaps excluding those who might have to go through waivers, it seems) he should be expected to come to camp and earn a job.

But I'm sure he will. Skates, hits, puts up above-average bottom-6 numbers, is dirt cheap. Is a better player than Dorsett already.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I love what Kenins brings, but I think it's also important to temper expectations with the guy as well. Let's all keep in mind that he's never scored more than 8 goals in a season at any pro or semi-pro level, going all the way back to 2009.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I love what Kenins brings, but I think it's also important to temper expectations with the guy as well. Let's all keep in mind that he's never scored more than 8 goals in a season at any pro or semi-pro level, going all the way back to 2009.

I don't think anyone expects him to be more than a hard-hitting energy player who can score 8-10 goals and 20 points in bottom-6 minutes while playing a good defensive game.

He did have 10 goals in 74 games last year between AHL/NHL/NHL playoffs. And those European seasons are only 40-odd games.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I like Kenins young + cheap + pretty good hockey player

Having a guy like Hansen on our team to mentor him is perfect imo. If Kenins can mold his game after Hansen's he'll be a good bottom 6 player.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I don't think anyone expects him to be more than a hard-hitting energy player who can score 8-10 goals and 20 points in bottom-6 minutes while playing a good defensive game.

He did have 10 goals in 74 games last year between AHL/NHL/NHL playoffs. And those European seasons are only 40-odd games.

He really needs to work on that defensive game tho... he still seems to take too many chances which will get him in the dog house. It almost feels like he's trying to play a top 6 game in a bottom 6 role and some of his gambles end up being scoring chances against.

AndrewGaze

Apr 5, 2013
What's going on with him? Too bad he got sent down to the AHL, but apparently he's not even playing there either?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
What's going on with him? Too bad he got sent down to the AHL, but apparently he's not even playing there either?

The reports suggest neither Kenins nor Grenier is off to a great start in Utica. It probably didn't make a difference, but maybe getting all that time with the Sedins through the exhibition season wasn't good for them.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Kenins has been good.

He didn't deserve to be scratched. My guess it's just a rest game or he has an undisclosed injury.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
I've always been a strong Gillis supporter. He wasn't without his faults, but after some of these young guys like Kenins and Horvat start making an impact I hope some of the haters realize what he did for this organization. He's definitely one of our better GMs.

I believe that if he hadn't have changed the plan following the 2011 loss that he'd still be GM. A lot of people laughed at the "Canucktivity" ideas but in sports nowadays you have to try everything you can to gain an advantage, a lot of those ideas have now been taken on by other teams around the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad