Ronalds ĶēniņÅ¡ -- Ronnies Hockeys -- The Mightiest of Latvians.

Side Stache

Dec 3, 2011
I red one or two comments about that he was a turnover machine. So I watched the game and it is funny how few lost battles in the corners are turnovers now :laugh: Then half of the team was turnover machines
I rate his first playoff game 6.5/10 because of good physical effort and simple play not to mention that I liked the whole line and I thin that it was the second best line in game 1.

Go Canucks:hyper:
Looks like one bad TO that led to a goal, maybe 5 weeks ago, has attached sign to Ronny that he is a TO machine to few fans.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
didn't play well towards the end of the game and tried to force too much but he really demonstrates the need for young bottom 6 talent

players like him can still afford to go balls to the wall on most shifts while similar but older players like higgins and hansen have to play more restrained which imo affects their effectiveness

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I don't think Hansen was particularly restrained in his play last night. He didn't throw big hits like Kenins, but he was pushing the play everywhere on the ice, and caused several key turnovers and odd man rushes.

linden79

May 13, 2011
The Kenins/Horvat/Hansen line continued to play well. They just need to be limited to very short shifts. They simply can't pull off shifts that go longer than a minute like the Sedins regularly do.

People complained about them not skating hard and losing their checks on the last goal, but it was obvious that they were absolutely bagged.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
He and Horvat and Hansen had a good game in the early going playing against Calgary's bottom 6. That's a matchup that I'm more than fine with.

Going up against the Monahan line, however, was a different story. But unfortunately it looks like that story will continue. :help:

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Kenins did what we needed him to do. Hopefully he'll keep it up throughout the series, and the Coach will play him in the right situations. Kenins is a very young, inexperienced player, and needs to be managed a bit more than, say, a Sedin or a Burrows. Hopefully Willy realizes that.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
This may be the one team in the NHL the canucks can actually bully with physical play. They need to keep pounding the smaller skilled flames. They did a pretty good job of that in game 1. Good enough that Wideman and Russel likely woke up pretty sore yesterday. Keep it going and wear them down.

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
Kenins is weak on the puck along the boards

He definitely has trouble maintaining control when being checked, but he does do well taking possession when he's the checker. Hopefully he will gain more poise with the puck as he gets more experienced.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Kenins brings physicality, which is nice. Apart from that, though, his first game was pretty damn bad. Turnover the puck at the opposing blueline several times, was a big part of the firedrill that resulted in Calgary's GWG, and was poor on the backcheck.

These are all items he's shown capable of doing well in the past, so hopefully Game 1 was an abberation.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I am personally offended for Kenins. :laugh: I think he has a lot more offensive creativity than Booth.

Hard hitting, straight line player, shoot-first, mediocre hands, meh defensively.

Booth provided the same thing during his playoff runs here.

This isn't to downplay Kenins at all, but an observation.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Hard hitting, straight line player, shoot-first, mediocre hands, meh defensively.

Booth provided the same thing during his playoff runs here.

This isn't to downplay Kenins at all, but an observation.

He has good hands and a brain though. He has great passing vision.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
I wouldn't say he was a "turnover machine" at any point. Though earlier in the season he was trying to do too much in the neutral zone when he should have been dumping and chasing that led to several bad turnovers. He's gotten much better at that now. At least he can be trusted with managed minutes, because we desperately need the physicality he can bring. Hopefully he keeps that up for more than 20 minutes tonight.

linden79

May 13, 2011
Great article about Hartley and Kenins: http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/04/1...rward-ronalds-kenins-familiar-with-each-other I didn't realize Hartley had coached him in Switzerland.

“I know if you’re a big believer and you trust yourself, you can achieve a lot in your life,” said Kenins, who speaks four languages: Latvian, Russian, Swiss-German and English. “I always have my head up. When people told me, ‘You have no chance,’ I didn’t believe them. I believed in myself.

“I got that chance and I told myself if I have that chance, I will take it right away.”

Just as proud as a father, even if he’s on the other bench, is Hartley.

“In the first game, he was on the ice and our eyes kind of connected and I saw a little smile from him,” Hartley said. “I hate to compete against him, but at the same time, I have the utmost respect for him.”

JA

Ron scores his first ever NHL playoff goal:

What a shot. It just flies off his stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad