Sportsnet: Ron MacLean: Babcock watching Leafs ‘carefully’

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
but JVR's exit stats are 2nd best on the team and very close to PK's so according to Menzinger PPP's stats our top line should never be trapped in our end

That's one way to look at it and it has some value. Interestingly, He's been well over 50%(52.1, 56.9, 53.8) in defensive zone starts the last 3 years, So he needs to be proficient in exiting the Dzone. But, I'm speaking more to the "Kessel is a bad possession player" in general issue.

Boston - 07/08 - GP 82 - 53.6%cf(F%52.4) - 3.3rel(53.4 Dzone starts)
Boston - 08/09 - GP 70 - 53%cf(F%51) - 2.9rel
Toronto - 09/10 - GP 70 - 53.9%cf(F%54.2) - 1.8rel

Then it falls below 50% over the next few season; And the most obvious reason is being paired with Bozak and also JVR/Lupul cause when he was perceived to be worse player like Stajan, Ponikarovsky and Kulemin these numbers were much better, But the chemistry much better overall for the line he was on.

Coaching is another factor as well of course.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
And the article also points out the main issues which tend to hamper zone exit efficiency: 1) the top line centres lack of an ability to help 2) the coaching system used by Carlyle makes exiting the zone a lot harder than it has to be.

Look, not everything is perfect out there - the top line should clearly be split up: the general point I'm making though is that claims that Kessel isn't a good possession player are blatantly false.

all 5 players have the responsibility to help gain possession and exit the zone and when you're top line wingers are floating high and blowing the zone early that's not on the center

Kessel isn't a good possession player , he can't cycle , he won't battle for loose pucks and worst of all he he gives up possession at the first sign of contact . Kessel is elite at what he does so i don't know why people feel the need to make him something he's not .

Anyway back to the topic , Babs nor any other coach will transform many of ours players into something that their not and he's also far from perfect but the thing i like about him is how hard all his players compete on a consistent basis .

Leaf_Crazy

Jan 22, 2003
Toronto
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2014/8/14/5997057/2013-14-first-half-zone-exits-for-leafs-forwards

The article's stats don't include the current season, but the data seems pretty clear on this. Phil Kessel leads the team by far in zone exists. Perhaps this is yet another example of people's "eye tests" failing them when attempting to analyze a player: some think he's a weak possession player, yet all the data seems to point to the contrary.

Kessel is atrocious when it comes to zone exits. Absolutely terrible. He gets pinched on constantly and loses every battle. I love Kessel but this is the weakest part of his game.

The fact that an "analytic" says hes good at zone exits pretty much discredits every analytic at this point for me.

How are these recorded? The only time I see him having a positive zone exit is if he swings back on the powerplay and takes the puck out of the zone untouched.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I've always wondered what it would look like to have Bozak, Kessel, and JVR playing the neutral zone trap system and constantly running interference.

Wait a minute, no I haven't.

Ace88*

I've always wondered what it would look like to have Bozak, Kessel, and JVR playing the neutral zone trap system and constantly running interference.

Wait a minute, no I haven't.

:laugh: this :laugh:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Detroit has a decision to make. Stick with Babcock and lose Jeff Bashill, or, let Babcock go and hand the reins to Jeff Bashill!

Leafs should have asked to speak to Jeff Bashill last summer too!

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Detroit has a decision to make. Stick with Babcock and lose Jeff Bashill, or, let Babcock go and hand the reins to Jeff Bashill!

i don't know if the leafs were one the teams but ken holland said few teams approached him asking permission to talk to blashill and holland denied the request.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Bozak is just as guilty as the other two when it comes to that.

I would actually say Bozie is the worst of the three. At least Phil tries to play defense at times, even if he sucks at it. I just find Bozie coasts the most and misses more assignments

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
For Babcock it's all about legacy at this point I think. The man has won everything there is to win in hockey. He also doesn't strike me as someone that's overly concerned about money either. I don't look at babcock and think he's into driving Ferraris and buying mansions. This guy is a small towner, it's pretty obvious...I'm sure he's got more money than he knows what to do with already.

He's been in Detroit 10 years and wants a challenge and wants to win. The only reason I can see him coming here is if he has the desire to bring a cup to the biggest hockey market in the world. It's a huge feat given the pressure cooker environment here.

The only thing he can do at this point in his career to take himself to the next level in legendary status is to win a Cup in Toronto or Montreal. Honestly that's the only milestone left in his career.

So, does he stick with the cushy Detroit gig for another 5-10 years or does he go for the next harder challenge? We'll see...I'm curious to see what he does.

I believe he's going to talk to the Leafs and see if there's a fit. If so, I think he will sign, if not he'll just re-sign with Detroit. No way he's going to a small market team that's for sure though.

Toronto is in a unique situation. Like the team or not, it's got a decent core of talent which are all entering or in their prime. With a top end coach and a good acquisition or two, the team is a probable contender. If there's a time to make a statement in the hockey world, it's now. The 2014-15 Leafs are not the Leafs of 2007-08.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
For Babcock it's all about legacy at this point I think. The man has won everything there is to win in hockey. He also doesn't strike me as someone that's overly concerned about money either. I don't look at babcock and think he's into driving Ferraris and buying mansions. This guy is a small towner, it's pretty obvious...I'm sure he's got more money than he knows what to do with already.

He's been in Detroit 10 years and wants a challenge and wants to win. The only reason I can see him coming here is if he has the desire to bring a cup to the biggest hockey market in the world. It's a huge feat given the pressure cooker environment here.

The only thing he can do at this point in his career to take himself to the next level in legendary status is to win a Cup in Toronto or Montreal. Honestly that's the only milestone left in his career.

So, does he stick with the cushy Detroit gig for another 5-10 years or does he go for the next harder challenge? We'll see...I'm curious to see what he does.

I believe he's going to talk to the Leafs and see if there's a fit. If so, I think he will sign, if not he'll just re-sign with Detroit. No way he's going to a small market team that's for sure though.

Toronto is in a unique situation. Like the team or not, it's got a decent core of talent which are all entering or in their prime. With a top end coach and a good acquisition or two, the team is a probable contender. If there's a time to make a statement in the hockey world, it's now. The 2014-15 Leafs are not the Leafs of 2007-08.

Yeah I think you are spot on about most things here, including Babcock's motivations.

Ultimately I think he will re-sign back in Detroit and be content with being the highest paid coach and being in a market that he's both comfortable with, and has the job for life for.

But there does seem to be something about his legacy and ambition that is bubbling to the forefront right now - certainly seems odd that he hasn't signed up in Detroit despite having such a cozy situation there right now.

From a Detroit / Holland perspective, I can't understand why they haven't made him the highest paid coach already and just wrapped this thing up entirely. They have everything to lose in this situation.

It's a strange situation, but ultimately I'm not getting my hopes up. You should never do that as a Leafs fan - it only hurts in the end.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I would actually say Bozie is the worst of the three. At least Phil tries to play defense at times, even if he sucks at it. I just find Bozie coasts the most and misses more assignments

absolutely. that's why it annoys me with the comments of Phil's defence. he's skating pretty hard most of the time, he's just not great at it exactly. it just is. His skills are with the puck. Still doesn't explain JVR for those bashing Bozak.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm in the camp that thinks he won't end up coming here, but.....

I think money, like with most sports related persons will be the ultimate deciding factor. If team A is bad but is willing to offer you upwards of a million more per year on a multi year deal than team B, you're going to sign with team A 9 times out of 10.

The question is, can MLSE's bid for Babcock's services be that much more enticing than Detroit, which is one of the leagues wealthier teams....

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I think his main reason to question moving - Detroit's reluctance to allow Blashill opportunity to move up in another organization. (if the interest is there)

I think he has pride and being a stop gap is the main reason he is holding out.

I think the likely scenario is he signs and soon after it's made public that Blashill is available to teams about NHL opportunities.

Sir Yeti

Jul 15, 2014
One thing for sure is that if He comes here.....Dion is gone...he is not a fan of his game and Kessel may go with him. He wants players who listen to what he wants them to do.....run picks, take check, and play a 200 foot game.

He could take what we have right now and make the playoffs....anyone watching the games vs the Wings the last few years should see that the systems they play beat us...they have players who play within the system or do not stay...

So the coach that invited him to Olympic tryouts, suddenly doesn't want him on his team? Please explain how you came to this conclusion?

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Of course he has respect for the organization of the maple leafs. It's the biggest sports market in the world and one of the most followed sports organizations in this world. That would be the perfect challenge for mr babcock in toronto. Welcomed of course in the future. To help Randy Carlyle, or maybe after him being the head coach. Right now, we have one of the best coaches in the world. With his stanley cup and almost never losing team. Toronto hasn't lost almost none of these games this season. Carlyle that good.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
"I think" stopped reading right there. It's not actual inside knowledge. He could be watching the Leafs carefully, but then again he might not give a rat's ass.

While i agree, when Babcock himself guns down a rumour that he is close to resigning with Detroit.....

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i don't know if the leafs were one the teams but ken holland said few teams approached him asking permission to talk to blashill and holland denied the request.

yeah. That's because Holland is all up in a stink that a lot of teams poach people from his organization to coach, manage and scout somewhere else. To which, i have to say, "and so?" Like on one hand, I get his argument - he trains them or they are essential to the Wings organization, but does he honestly expect them to just sit there, and not want to strike out on their own? Most execs tend to be 'approached' you can't exactly 'job hunt' in the NHL.

From what I gathered Blashill wants to coach in the NHL now, (and i know he extended his contract), which makes this thing so crazy. Holland's going to lose one of them.

If Babcock re-signs, Blashill is going to want out at the end of his contract which would be I think next year? not to mention both could want to leave when it's all said and done. we will see though

blendermf

GO LEAFS GO!
Dec 11, 2010
matthewfraser.ca

Here:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=743524&navid=nhl:topheads.

...or, if you want to see the man say it himself (flat out, 100% denying it):
http://www.freep.com/videos/sports/nhl/red-wings/2014/12/11/20254139/ (starting around 33 seconds)

But he could have literally as he said decided to not do contract negotiations during the season to avoid distraction. That decision could have been made before he theoretically(because we don't know for sure if that's true) decided Toronto is worth a serious look. It honestly may not mean anything that he's gunning the rumors down, or it could be 100% related, but we'll never know for sure.

It seems that a lot of people who may have a clue feel like it's more likely he'll stay in Detroit though (at this point at least).

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The Don quelled this rumor last night and said Babcock isn't leaving Detroit.

That should end the discussion.

:sarcasm:

david999

Jan 21, 2011
It doesn't make sense that Shanny placed assistant coaches to his liking with Carlyle, but would have to let Babcock pick his own if he goes to the Leafs? The Leafs coaching group has been excellent so far this year getting the most they can from this group. I think Babcock is looking for the money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad